Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 10, 2010, 5:03 PM   #11

BTW, according to the Japanese Pentax website, you can order the K-x in any of 20 different colors. See http://www.pentax.jp/english/imaging...x/feature.html
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 5:32 PM   #12

[QUOTE=mtngal
Update your firmware soon after you get the camera - it fixes an issue with the way the camera "sees" batteries and you do NOT want your camera to shut off when doing it.
[/QUOTE]

Is using firmware pretty straightforward (simple) with Pentax cameras? I have heard of the battery issue, is that for the K-7 as well as the K-x?
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 5:40 PM   #13

Yes, copy the firmware onto the sd card. And run it with the camera, just make sure the batteries are fully changed.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 6:04 PM   #14

Battery issue is for the Kx only, and only because the original firmware had difficulty correctly dealing with some of the rechargeable batteries. The K-7 uses a Li-Ion battery that's proprietary. There are a couple of firmware updates for the K-7 and it's very easy to do, just like all of the other Pentax firmware updates that have come out for their various cameras.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 6:17 PM   #15

I got 1,154 shots out of Rayovac 2100 Hybrids on my Kx with the new firmaware after a full conditioning on a MAHA MH-C801D charger. The MH-C801D charges one battery at a time. The battery indicator went red at 750 shots, but kept on shooting. The charger is a very important part of the battery system.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 3:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
BTW, according to the Japanese Pentax website, you can order the K-x in any of 20 different colors. See http://www.pentax.jp/english/imaging...x/feature.html
So it IS a color camera....
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 2:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Battery issue is for the Kx only, and only because the original firmware had difficulty correctly dealing with some of the rechargeable batteries. The K-7 uses a Li-Ion battery that's proprietary. There are a couple of firmware updates for the K-7 and it's very easy to do, just like all of the other Pentax firmware updates that have come out for their various cameras.

Would I be correct in presuming that one must do the firmware before proceeding to the second? Many thanks for your info about firmware.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 2:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Would I be correct in presuming that one must do the firmware before proceeding to the second?
If you're asking if you need to install 1.01 before you can install 1.02, the answer is no. The firmware update relaces the firmware that's in the camera with a whole new set. You can go straight from 1.00 to 1.03, without doing 1.01 and 1.02, and you won't miss any updates. 1.03 contains everything that 1.02 and 1.01 have, including any fixes to the new stuff in the earlier versions.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 2:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
If you're asking if you need to install 1.01 before you can install 1.02, the answer is no. The firmware update relaces the firmware that's in the camera with a whole new set. You can go straight from 1.00 to 1.03, without doing 1.01 and 1.02, and you won't miss any updates. 1.03 contains everything that 1.02 and 1.01 have, including any fixes to the new stuff in the earlier versions.
Hi TCav, many thanks, indeed, for your prompt reply. If I may ask, you have a Pentax, too?
Old Mar 11, 2010, 2:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Hi TCav, many thanks, indeed, for your prompt reply. If I may ask, you have a Pentax, too?
No. I used to have a Konica Minolta. I now have a Nikon.