Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:51 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Stepp View Post
I think I have settled on the Kx two lens kit (18-55mm and 55-300mm) as my camera purchase. As I have mentioned, I don't have access to a traditional camera store and will be buying most of my equipment online.

I would appreciate any advice on straps (Optech were mentioned earlier), cards (Sandisk Extreme III were mentioned earlier), lens hoods, cleaning kits, SLR books/videos, AA batteries or any other ideas.

I will look at a camera bag later after I can decide what size I really need. However, if any of you have a bag that you think would be absolutely perfect for the base camera and kit, please let me know.

Thanks for the help
I bought this exact kit last night online. It will be my first DSLR, have never shot a pic with one yet! Only accessories I have for it at the moment are 2 sets of 4x Eneloop AA's (bought a 2nd set with the camera order), a tripod I've had a while, two 2GB Kingston SD cards.

Thinking maybe UV filters, a couple hoods, a bag.

I assume the camera doesn't come with a remote shutter release (wireless). Curious to get one 'cause my P&S has one.

Want to get a flash (probably wireless?). What's available?

I saw at Amazon (where I ordered the camera) that some people got <$4 UV filters, some discussion indicating they aren't really multicoated. Some also got rubber hoods for ~$6. Say it shields from glare but not great protection and some question about durability of the rubber.
Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:56 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboerger View Post
I got 1,154 shots out of Rayovac 2100 Hybrids on my Kx with the new firmaware after a full conditioning on a MAHA MH-C801D charger. The MH-C801D charges one battery at a time. The battery indicator went red at 750 shots, but kept on shooting. The charger is a very important part of the battery system.
I have the LaCrosse BC-900 charger, which also will condition if that option is chosen. It charges each cell individually, 1, 2, 3 or 4 cells, either AA or AAA. I have several other chargers including a Maha or two, but use the LaCrosse exclusively (except for instances where the LaCrosse says "Null" for a cell, and then I have to put the cell(s) in one of my other chargers for a couple of minutes to get the voltage up to where the LaCrosse can deal with it, over 1.1v or so).

I have a set of Rayovac Hybrid AA's (4 cells), but IIRC my Samsung Digimax V3 (uses 2 AA's) didn't work adequately with them and I went back to using my Powerex 2400 mah NiMH's. I'm hoping my K-x will work fine with Eneloops. People seem to be saying it will, presumably after updating the firmware.

Last edited by Muse; Jul 19, 2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:04 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The DA does, not the DAL
I assume you mean comes with hood. I guess mine won't then.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 1:55 PM   #24

yes the da 55-300mm comes with a hood, the dal 55-300mm that is in the kit does not.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 8:45 AM   #25

What kind of hoods are better? They have rubber ones at Amazon for ~$6, but they say they don't provide much protection except from light.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 8:53 AM   #26

the plastic ones, for the 18-55 you can find a knock off on ebay. But for the 55-300mm the only options currently is the pentax one for 41 dollars. The rubber ones fall apart after time. But they are cheap, you can get 4 for the price of the real pentax one.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 9:05 AM   #27

Is this the one or equivalent? I saw this in a thread a few days ago and put it on my ebay watch list (before I ordered the camera): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3DI%26otn%3D1

Will that work on the K-x's 18-55mm kit lens?

Last edited by Muse; Jul 20, 2010 at 9:08 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 9:10 AM   #28

yup, that is it for the 18-55
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
the plastic ones, for the 18-55 you can find a knock off on ebay. But for the 55-300mm the only options currently is the pentax one for 41 dollars. The rubber ones fall apart after time. But they are cheap, you can get 4 for the price of the real pentax one.
When I search eBay for "lens hood for pentax 55-300mm lens" I get a number of hits. They don't appear to be rubber and they specifically indicate that they fit the 58mm 55-300mm Pentax lens. Will this not fit the 55-300mm kit lens?

Here's one of the listings: Lens Hood for Pentax smc DA 55-300mm f4-5.8 PH-RBG 58mm

They mostly seem to be selling for $13.99 shipped. Will these work with the K-x's 55-300mm kit lens?

Last edited by Muse; Jul 21, 2010 at 2:05 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 4:41 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post
When I search eBay for "lens hood for pentax 55-300mm lens" I get a number of hits. They don't appear to be rubber and they specifically indicate that they fit the 58mm 55-300mm Pentax lens. Will this not fit the 55-300mm kit lens?

Here's one of the listings: Lens Hood for Pentax smc DA 55-300mm f4-5.8 PH-RBG 58mm

They mostly seem to be selling for $13.99 shipped. Will these work with the K-x's 55-300mm kit lens?
Bump. Will this hood work on the K-x 55-300mm kit lens?