Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 27, 2010, 5:54 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Thanks TCav.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 5:57 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Yes. shoturtle pointed that out to me in the very next post in this thread, back in March:
It bugs me that there was no lens hood with the 18-55. On the other hand, pretty well all my 35 mm film lenses that I bought from the '60's to the 80's never came with a lens hood.

Although I bought my medium format Mamiya and three Mamiya-Sekor lenses...all in the 1980's and all the Mamiya-Sekor lenses, came with lens hoods.

When I think of it, this may have been because the Mamiya MF was marketed at the professional photographer.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 8:14 PM   #83

Location: In mountainous California or Arizona or Guatemala or somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing24 View Post
My husband and I will be receiving our pentax k-x in the mail on Monday, and have a few questions about accessories. On craigslist someone is selling an old 35mm Pentax camera that has a couple of sigma lenses and a flash unit. We were just wondering if the flash unit will work on the k-x. It is the Promaster FTD 7000M Flash Unit. Will this work? The lenses he is selling are the Sigma 28-105mm, f/2.8 and the Sigma 100-300mm, f/4. Any thoughts?
Hi! Yes, the lenses will work with your Kx. But how WELL and EASILY they work depends on whether they are screwmount or K-mount (bayonet), and whether they have focus and aperture automation. What you need to know are: what is the camera, and what are the details on the lenses? Sigma made models of those lenses for more than a few generations of cameras; if they say AF on them, they'll be straightforward for you to use.

I just checked on that flash; as with most older (pre-2000) flashes, you do NOT want to put it on a modern dSLR. NO NO NO!! Older flashes often use high trigger voltages, which can FRY THE ELECTRONICS of your Kx. As we say in my country, "Don't brick the camera!" (Ie, break it, turn it into a brick, heh heh.) Old flashes ARE useful off-camera; you can buy strobe triggers very very cheap, set up remote flashes as needed, and use your Kx's onboard flash to trigger them. But you should practice safe flash and ONLY use a newer dSLR-ready unit on your Kx.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:27 PM   #84

RioRico,

Thanks for the info! We know that the lenses are k-mount and that they will work on our camera. It might be worth buying just for the lenses even though the flash unit doesn't work. So excited to receive our k-x so we can start taking pics!
thing24 is offline   Reply With Quote