Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 8, 2010, 6:35 PM   #1

Default Accessories for Pentax Kx

I think I have settled on the Kx two lens kit (18-55mm and 55-300mm) as my camera purchase. As I have mentioned, I don't have access to a traditional camera store and will be buying most of my equipment online.

I would appreciate any advice on straps (Optech were mentioned earlier), cards (Sandisk Extreme III were mentioned earlier), lens hoods, cleaning kits, SLR books/videos, AA batteries or any other ideas.

I will look at a camera bag later after I can decide what size I really need. However, if any of you have a bag that you think would be absolutely perfect for the base camera and kit, please let me know.

Thanks for the help
Luke Stepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2010, 6:43 PM   #2

save some money and get transcend class 10 sdhc 8gb, at newegg us and canada for 25 bucks. Instead of shelling out 3x as much for the sandisk extreme.

Optech is nice, I like that the optech classic has a quick disconnect.

With AA batteries, get low discharge sanyo eneloops, if you can find a charger that charges one cell at a time.

Lens hoods, I would check ebay. They are about 1/2 the price of most online retailers.

Crumpler are nice bags that do not look like a camera bag.

Also a rocket blower is a nice thing to have. Better then hitting the camera with compress air.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 6:57 PM   #3

for the 18-55mm you will need the pentax ph-rba for 52mm, you can get it on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lens-Hood-for-Pe...ht_6065wt_1167
for the 55-300mm you will need the pentax ph-rbg for 58mm. You will not be able to find this hood, and will need to pay for the real deal at a online shop or 1/2 price for a aftermarket at adorama or bhphoto

Also a circular polarizer is a good accessory to have.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 7:30 PM   #4

The Pentax 18-55 and 55-300 come with lens hoods.

A rocket blower is a good idea.

I also have a lens cleaning cloth that's 18% gray so I can use it to set a custom white balance. That has come in handy on numerous ocassions. (See http://www.adorama.com/CPCEG.html )

I also have multiple SDHC cards, and have a case to store them. (See http://www.adorama.com/VGDIHOLDER4.html )

Which raises the issue of a reader. You can connect your camera directly to a computer, and not need a reader at all, but since I swap cards anyway I prefer to use a reader. There are cheap readers and (relatively) expensive readers. A slow reader could not only take a long time to transfer photos to your compuyter, but it could also slow down your computer even when you're not using it. This is one of the fastest card readers available: http://www.adorama.com/IDSDR189A.html
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 7:57 PM   #5

The DA does, not the DAL

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 9, 2010 at 12:59 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 8:55 PM   #6

I second the Optech strap - I have two different types and both are better than the strap that comes with the camera.

Some sort of hand air blower is also important. I've known people to use some different varieties (including one guy who said he finally bought a rocket blower after his wife threatened divorce if he didn't give her back her turkey baster one Thanksgiving). You can't go wrong with a rocket blower.

I like using a lens brush for cleaning lenses, before using a cloth.

For books - I like Bryan Peterson's books best, either Understanding Exposure or Understanding Photography Field Guide. He's quite read-able (not all photography books are).

I've used the Rayovac hybrid batteries in my K100 - not sure how they would work with the Kx. You can't go wrong with the Sanyo Eneloops. Get a good charger - not one of the quick charge ones.

Update your firmware soon after you get the camera - it fixes an issue with the way the camera "sees" batteries and you do NOT want your camera to shut off when doing it.

Camera bags depend on what you like. I personally prefer a sling bag, but others hate them. Pentax makes a sling bag that is similar to the Lowepro Slingshot 100 that seems to be well-liked and has lots of room to grow. Or else get a small shoulder or messenger style bag that you can continue to use when "going light" once you outgrow it (and you will quickly). One person I know got a diaper bag and some foam from a craft shop and made their own - few people are going to be interested in stealing a diaper bag.

I don't use UV filters on my lenses.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 12:56 AM   #7

Great info. Thanks
Luke Stepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 6:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Lens hoods, I would check ebay. They are about 1/2 the price of most online retailers.
The Pentax 18-55 and 55-300 come with lens hoods.
The DA does, not the DAL
According to Pentax, the "DA L" designation was for the lenses bundled with the K2000 only. Every listing I've seen for the K-x says it comes with "DA" lenses, not "DA L" lenses.

EDIT: My mistake. Pentax' own on-line store lists the "DA L" lenses as kit lenses for the K-x. But the 18-55 and 55-200 are the only "DA L" lenses. The 55-300 is not a "DA-L" lens.

Edit: Sorry. Yes, the 55-300 is available as a "DA L" lens.

Last edited by TCav; Mar 10, 2010 at 3:35 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 12:26 PM   #9

Tcav,

No there is a DAL 55-300mm also.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 3:35 PM   #10

Sorry. Yes, the 55-300 is available as a "DA L" lens.