Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 9, 2010, 11:38 PM   #11

That is good enough info for me to avoid the AL / ED lenses, for no other reason that the kit should come with a differently described lens. I tend to be overly dubious of some web vendors.
Luke Stepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 1:19 AM   #12

If you get it form amazon, adorama, or BH. You will get the factory kit with the newest DAL lenses.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 3:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Stepp View Post
That is good enough info for me to avoid the AL / ED lenses, ...
All current Pentax 18-55 lenses are "AL" lenses, whether they're the "AL II", "AL WR" or "DA L AL". If you see a listing for a Pentax 18-55 that doesn't include the "AL" designation, it's because there wasn't room in the listing or someone was too lazy to type it in.

All current Pentax 55-200 lenses are "ED" lenses, whether they're "ED", "ED WR" or "DA L ED". If you see a listing for a Pentax 55-200 that doesn't include the "ED" designation, it's because there wasn't room in the listing or someone was too lazy to type it in.

The presence or absence of "AL" or "ED" in a description is not significant.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 4:01 AM   #14

Luke, no worries in having a "kit" lense... they are useful... they inexpensive... sometimes getting the kit beats just buying the body in terms of price, at least as I see it here in Finland... That being said, you can think about what you want to shoot and scope out which lense to buy either now or in the future... I am going to get a Pentax and will buy a kit lense as it makes the purchase the same price... I have nothing to lose... I will either get Pentax 16-45 or 17-70 lense, or a Tamron 90 macro (which has a high rating)... You will be alright with the lense(s) you get, even "kit" lenses... I have spent the last four or five months saving for this camera, looking for deals, and looking at lenses. The advice given you above is help and good... You will be satisfied with your purchase. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:40 AM   #15

Tcav - I want to avoid the AL/ED lenses not because of what they are or aren't, but instead I am simply more comfortable buying from a vendor that lists the kit as Pentax packages it.

Thanks to everyone for the help.
Luke Stepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 3:34 PM   #16

Sorry. Yes, the 55-300 is available as a "DA L" lens.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote