Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:08 AM   #11

I was trying to make a purchase that day so I could get it in transit.

Usually don't do it, and won't do it again.
Luke Stepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
...I think sometimes people demand too much from AF in low-lighting situations...
I think sometimes people demand too much from AF, period. I've read numerous complaints about the EP1 slow AF system. I have the EP1 and it seems just fine to me. The conception of "slow" varies from person to person. Anyone who had/has a Sony R1 will think the the EP1 has the fastest AF system in the world!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 1:07 AM   #13

Too right you are Tullio. Glad to hear you have EP1. Hope to see some pictures from you when you can. Thanks. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 1:29 AM   #14

Ned, keep an eye on the Olympus forum. I'll be posting some EP1 shots soon.

Tullio
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:11 PM   #15

Default Buy the pentax kx

I am a pentax owner and can attest that low light can be tough sometimes to get in focus for any camera , but I assure you in 98% of lighting situations the pentax will focus wonderfully and pretty darn fast ...I love this camera to death, and for $497.00 brand new out of the box the features of this camera are second to none....please do yourself a favor and buy one....Good Luck
scottsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:14 PM   #16

p.s that last post was for luke...hope it helps
scottsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 3:38 AM   #17

That's an excellent comment, scottsal! Thanks. Luke Step, whilst I was deep in the forest for the past few days, I did an experiment with very little light in a totally dark room... I was impressed what I could with a jok'n mobile phone... the wood with a tiny beam of light had MORE detail in the photo than what my eyes could see. Your Pentax K-x will do a far better job, and like scottsal said in plain and straightforward words, the Pentax focuses nice in 98% percent of the time. I know that AF is important issue, but I really believe you will find your Pentax to be worthy of your trust in the product for most of your needs... it is the 2% that will simply require your own photographic skills. Ned
Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:26 AM   #18

I shoot the Kx as a newspaper reporter and have published many low light pictures including ISO 12,800 in a pinch. This camera is killer in low light. In addition, I shoot sports and many other events. It has never failed to get a publishable shot.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:24 AM   #19

That's great to hear, pboerger! I can't wait till buy my Pentax. Are there any low light pictures you can upload on this forum??
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:54 AM   #20

The only thing about the K-x that turned me off is the fact that there is no AF light indicator. I haven't had a chance to actually try one to see how bad (or not) that is. Several times I messed up the focus point on my cameras by accident (I usually have it set to single center spot) and if it wasn't for the AF light showing up at a different position other than the center in the OVF, I would not have known until I saw a whole bunch of pictures OOF because the camera selected the wrong spot to lock focus on. Any comments on the subject?

Tullio