Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 9, 2010, 12:02 PM   #1

Default Canon 7D or Nikon 300s

Hello ,

I am confused between which Cameras to choose its between Nikon 300s and Canon 7D Canon is loaded with futures as well as HD quality videos.

Can you please assist me with which one should I go for.

Regards...Abhi.
now_abhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2010, 12:17 PM   #2

The two are very close. The Canon has more resolution (18mp vs. 12). But that's only going to translate into real-world benefit in select circumstances. The canon also has a newer sensor with native ISO 6400 (nikon's is native to 3200 and boosted beyond that). So if you're shooting at those ISOs I think you'll see an edge to canon. The canon also has 1080 video vs. 720 for the nikon.

In most other areas you're going to see similar performance between the two cameras (similar build quality, similar AF performance, similar frame rate, both have wireless flash capability). In my opinion, it really comes down to which SYSTEM you prefer. Nikon has better flash performance, but Canon has lower prices on high end lenses. Ergonomics will also be different.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 12:33 PM   #3
Administrator

From what I can see of your previous posts from 2006 when you were using a Sony DSC-H1, you've got a very good eye for composition.

But, I'm not seeing anything requiring a performance oriented camera (frame rate, focus system, etc.), unless your needs have changed since then.

What are you planning to shoot more often, and what led you to narrow your choices down to these two models? How about lenses (any thoughts towards the types of lenses you are looking for and what you may decide to budget for them)?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 12:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
The two are very close. The Canon has more resolution (18mp vs. 12). But that's only going to translate into real-world benefit in select circumstances. The canon also has a newer sensor with native ISO 6400 (nikon's is native to 3200 and boosted beyond that). So if you're shooting at those ISOs I think you'll see an edge to canon. The canon also has 1080 video vs. 720 for the nikon.

In most other areas you're going to see similar performance between the two cameras (similar build quality, similar AF performance, similar frame rate, both have wireless flash capability). In my opinion, it really comes down to which SYSTEM you prefer. Nikon has better flash performance, but Canon has lower prices on high end lenses. Ergonomics will also be different.

Thanks John actually few of my friends own Canon and few Nikon and they are influencing there views about these Cameras.Canon compared to Nikon is cheap if you compare price point of view. I have noticed black levels on Nikon are better compared to Canon.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 12:45 PM   #5

Thanks Jim I was using Sony DSC H1 but when I want to graduate to DSLR's now. My main area would be Tabletop photography,Wildlife, shooting Videos .Can you recommend me which lenses would be suitable for Wildlife photography . how about Sigma lenses on Canon and Nikon.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 2:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by now_abhi View Post
Hello ,

I am confused between which Cameras to choose its between Nikon 300s and Canon 7D Canon is loaded with futures as well as HD quality videos.

Can you please assist me with which one should I go for.

Regards...Abhi.
Hiya, for what it is worth, I have issue 92 of Digitial Photographer (www.dphotographer.co.uk) where they have a head to head feature article of the Canon EOS 7D and the Nikon D300S. The magazine article, FYI, notes that for ease of use, quality and interface, Canon EOS 7D got 10/10, Nikon D300S got 9/10, for special features on board Canon 9/10, Nikon 8/10, for quality of image results: Canon 9/10, Nikon 9/10; and for best results for value, both got 8/10...

The article seems to favour Nikon, however, in terms of what it can do with video. You can find this article on pg. 100ff.

Hope this helps.
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 2:05 PM   #7

Thanx a ton Eetu this was of great help. so Deciding would more get tough
Old Mar 9, 2010, 2:13 PM   #8

I hear ya... The editors' choice was the Canon 7-D. I realize that deciding is very tough... I am buying a camera when my tax return comes... man, it been a real eye opener. I don't have a Canon nor a Nikon, the two gentlemen who posted above can be of more help... All the best in whatever you buy... for sure, you will have a good camera. Take care and all the best. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 2:32 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by now_abhi View Post
Thanks Jim I was using Sony DSC H1 but when I want to graduate to DSLR's now. My main area would be Tabletop photography,Wildlife, shooting Videos .Can you recommend me which lenses would be suitable for Wildlife photography . how about Sigma lenses on Canon and Nikon.
Yes, some Sigma lenses would be very good for most wildlife. For example, the Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 DG HSM (a.k.a., the "Bigma") is a popular lens for wildlife, and it's available in multiple camera mounts:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/50-50...x-dg-hsm-sigma

But, if budget won't permit a higher end body and a nicer lens, you may be better off buying a lower end body to have enough in your budget for a nicer lens solution. When comparing lenses, also consider things like size and weight and how you'd adjust to them.

A lot would depend on the type of wildlife and how close you can get to it, too.

Did you have a total budget in mind for camera and lenses? I'd probably look at lens solutions first, then figure out how much money you've got left over for a body that meets your needs.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 1:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Yes, some Sigma lenses would be very good for most wildlife. For example, the Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 DG HSM (a.k.a., the "Bigma") is a popular lens for wildlife, and it's available in multiple camera mounts:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/50-50...x-dg-hsm-sigma

But, if budget won't permit a higher end body and a nicer lens, you may be better off buying a lower end body to have enough in your budget for a nicer lens solution. When comparing lenses, also consider things like size and weight and how you'd adjust to them.

A lot would depend on the type of wildlife and how close you can get to it, too.

Did you have a total budget in mind for camera and lenses? I'd probably look at lens solutions first, then figure out how much money you've got left over for a body that meets your needs.

I have a total budget of around 1,25,000 in which Canon is costing around 72,000 Rs and lens is around 48,000 Rs so I can manage Sigma 500 mm and one more wide angle lens. which is best lens for Macro photography and what would be the ideal mm for macro lenses. I planing to buy Camera by this month end hope I can decide on which to choose for.