Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:22 PM   #11

If HD is not that big on your list, I would look at the T1i over the T2i. You can use the saving for another lens.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 3:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATWRIK View Post
Been to B&M and held each one...

I like the grip of the KX, but like the weight of the Canon...

Menu system...Thats up in the air. I pm'd shoturtle and he told me that the menu for the KX is pretty user friendly..

I didn't find it un-friendly, which i think is more important then how friendly. Like any computer, intuitiveness is what is best. And that can vary depending on experiences with different menus. You might find one more intuitive to you then I do, but we'll both like it.

But if one is laborious, or it is difficult to get out of where you are, or takes you down roads you didn't want because the 'naming convention' is misleading..then its un friendly. And THAT is frustrating. In my view...no one should have to 'accept' anything unfriendly, you'll regret it.

Another distinction to explain my unfriendly menu...Many times when learning something new you go down paths using the knowledge you are ready have. You will go down one, only to say opps and back out. If its a 'friendly' menu you learn why you were misguided (you assumed the meaning of the title for example), and you won't do it again.

whereas unfriendly menus you find you make the same mistake several times because the title is misleading or ambiguous...like up town or downtown..which is correct?
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 3:09 PM   #13

HD is not big on my list, more like a novelty. If want to get HD video, I think i would rather have it on a different device to allow me to record on a tripod and allow me to roam around on the dslr to snap photos.

I've been looking at the pentax kx with 18-55mm and 55-300mm kit. If i was to go the T1i/T2i route what would be comparable?
PATWRIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 3:23 PM   #14

I would look at the T1i since hd is not a big thing, it performs just as well as the T2i in photo quality.

Canon has the better AF system, pentax has a bit better low light quality.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 9:50 PM   #15

One thing is...look at the system. You will upgrade someday, which lens pack are you most comfortable with???
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 9:57 PM   #16

I would get the kit lens, and if you want a faster zoom, move up to a canon ef 70-300mm IS USM. But this lens is 550 dollars.

The canon 2 lens kit is not bad 18-55 and the 55-250, both are pretty sharp lenses. But not as fast in AF. Canon T1i with the 2 lens will be about 1000 dollars.