Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 14, 2010, 5:56 PM   #31

Different sports require different lenses also. I shoot close proximity in low light and haven't found a lens that does it all.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 6:23 PM   #32

That is a very nice photo, Mark1616-

It nicely catches the spirit of the game.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 6:46 PM   #33

That is a great soccer shot, Mark. What type camera and lens were you using for that? Could I get close to something like that with an entry level DSLR and kit lens? Right now I just don't think I can spend more than that to get a dedicated sports lens. I am primarily shooting outdoor youth soccer, ages 5, 8, and 11. My goal is to get at least a few great shots per kid per season and probably put together an end of season slide show on dvd for the kids. I won't even shoot photos at every game. Some may make it framed on the wall but most will be in a photobook.

Other shots I'm looking to get are outside in the summer at the pool, beach, etc. Some may be in winter skiing or sledding. Others just with the kids playing at the playground, on the trampoline, etc. Indoor shots would be in normal room light for birthdays, Christmas, etc and an occasional indoor shot at school in the cafeteria or auditorium.

Let me know if that changes any of your suggestions. I am still checking prices and trying to decide. Thanks.
calmmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:18 PM   #34
Super Moderator

There are parts of this where you are going to have to make the call, it is your money in the end

If you can do it then the Canon XSi and the 2 lens kit (I think it is available on this) would be good as you get the 55-250mm lens which has enough quality and reach at this age. Of get the single kit lens and the Tamron 70-300mm. Keeping the price down more then the Sony but again getting the Tamron 70-300.

Basically you will need a telephoto lens to get acceptable shots.

As for my shot, that is not with run of the mill kit, it was a Canon 1DmkIII and Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 lens ($3k for the lens alone) so no you can't get this sort of shot without spending a lot of money, but you can get much better shots than with a P&S.

Ideally you would want a 70-200mm f2.8 lens but these start at $800.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:20 PM   #35
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
That is a very nice photo, Mark1616-

It nicely catches the spirit of the game.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks Sarah.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:21 PM   #36

calmmom-

We will let Mark1616 answer the camera and lens question. But knowing Mark well, I'm sure it was an advanced level Canon DSLR with a long zoom lens.

Canon DSLR cameras focus faster and that makes them excellent to use for sports photos. That means that the Canon XSi, is the logical camera choice. The best spot to shoot from in soccer is from the side lines, that means that you would need something like the Sigma 70-200mm or the Canon 55-250mm lens, as a minimum and that maybe a bit short. Both lens are good lenses.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:36 PM   #37

If you are planning indoors and low light shooting, you may also consider the T1i as the XSi is limit to 1600iso. While the T1i will let you go up to 12800 iso,
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:42 PM   #38
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
calmmom-

We will let Mark1616 answer the camera and lens question. But knowing Mark well, I'm sure it was an advanced level Canon DSLR with a long zoom lens.

Canon DSLR cameras focus faster and that makes them excellent to use for sports photos. That means that the Canon XSi, is the logical camera choice. The best spot to shoot from in soccer is from the side lines, that means that you would need something like the Sigma 70-200mm or the Canon 55-250mm lens, as a minimum and that maybe a bit short. Both lens are good lenses.

Sarah Joyce
It should be enough as generally youth football isn't usually full pitch..... although the 11 year olds could be.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:26 PM   #39

Thanks so very much for all of your expert help! I will go out to a store (again) and see which camera feels best for me, and I will pay extra close attention to the Canon XSi and maybe even T1i. Then I will search around for a good deal and figure out how much I realistically can spend. I really appreciate all of your input. I'm excited to move forward with a DSLR (unless the budget is just too tight and I end up with the FZ-35 after all). By the way, does anyone know who carries the FZ-35 around the Atlanta area? I know I can find the other DSLRs I am interested in.

Blessings!
calmmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:00 PM   #40

Or you can go nikon, D5000 preforms at amazing low light, and there are many af-s lenses to choose from.

Just my Nikon bias 2 cents
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote