Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:53 PM   #1

Default Want to get a pentax k-x ... Is getting the 55-300mm kit worth it?

Right now, I'm considering between these two:

Pentax k-x with 18-55 (520)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

Pentax k-x with 18-55 and 55-300 (700)

http://cgi.ebay.com/PENTAX-K-x-KX-DS...item439d8d9d18

For now, I guess my main goal is to take pics of my vacation in May (Singapore -> Malaysia -> Thailand -> Vietnam). People, landscapes, and cities I imagine. This will be my first camera. I've been using my brother's Canon SD550 for a few years, but I didn't really know how to take good pictures... Total noobie here

Do you think the 55-300 is worth the extra money?
jellysandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:24 PM   #2

I have been to all those places. You will want to bring a longer zoom with you. If you decide to get the one lens kit and opt for a longer zoom later. The pentax DA 55-300mm will be about 450 dollars. The DA is a bit better build quality then the DAL lens that comes with the kits.

Another option is to get the tamron 70-300mm, it's not a bad entry level zoom. But I think the DAL 55-300mm is still a better deal. With no range gap.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 10, 2010 at 11:43 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:59 PM   #3

I've gotten a lot of good advice on the Kx in the last few days on this site - review some of the threads if you haven't already.

It sounds like your needs are similar to mine. I spent a lot of time going over reviews and ultimately decided I could get the 55-300 in the kit for less than an additional $200 and learn the lens over time instead of buying that lens or another one for $350 to $400. Spend the money now and I've got it. If I don't, ten years down the road I am probably complaining that I don't have the money for a zoom.

For what it's worth, I eventually decided that the kit zoom lens would do everything I ever need it to. If I ever get to the point that I am not happy with the photos it takes, I either need to learn how to use the camera or upgrade to a higher quality camera.
Luke Stepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 2:51 AM   #4

I bought mine with the kit lens 18-55 AND the DA 55-300.
Keep in mind that the best deals are when you package items. Whether its lenses or bags, you'll get the better deal at the time of initial purchase.

That being said...I took both lenses on a trip to Costa Rica and I used the 55-300 most of the time. For pure landscape shot the kit lens is fine and preferred, but zeroing in on a monkey, or a egret..the 55-300 is the tool.
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 3:32 AM   #5

As shoturtle pointed out, the Tamron 70-300 Di LD is an alternative. It's as good as the Pentax 55-300, it's about the same price, and it has the 1:2 macro in case you want to shoot flowers, etc. And it comes with a hood.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:55 AM   #6

OK, I looked around for that Tamron, but I think I'll keep it simple and just get the dual lens kit. Guess it's time to look into that accessories thread more carefully...

Thanks guys!
Old Mar 11, 2010, 6:16 PM   #7

Jellysandwich,
I dont know if you purchased your camera yet, but dont forget Bing cashback and sign up for ebay bucks.

After all said and done, you can have the camera kit for 631. Nice deal IMHO.

700 - 8% bing cash back = 644 - 2% ebay bucks = 631.xx
PATWRIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATWRIK View Post
Jellysandwich,
I dont know if you purchased your camera yet, but dont forget Bing cashback and sign up for ebay bucks.

After all said and done, you can have the camera kit for 631. Nice deal IMHO.

700 - 8% bing cash back = 644 - 2% ebay bucks = 631.xx
Yep, I knew about the cashback already! Unfortunately, I am not signed up for ebay bucks.

I haven't bought it yet. I am still confirming with my girlfriend first; she is worried that someone might steal the camera during the trip...