Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 11, 2010, 8:55 PM   #1

Default Budget P&S Camera

Hi! A poor guy here in need of a p&s cam, preferably less than $200. Cam would mostly be used for taking pictures and short vids of my 4 month old daughter. It should perform well in a low-light environment; should take acceptable, if not good, pictures and videos (i.e., less "graininess"); it should handle moving targets well (i.e., it should have a good shutter speed?). I don't need really high MP since the biggest size that I would print the pictures on would probably be a short bond paper size. It's a plus if it uses a rechargeable Li ion battery. If not all of the criteria above can be met, you can suggest the next best thing. Thanks in advance.
flipper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2010, 9:10 PM   #2

flipper88-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

Unfortunately you are asking for camera features (performs well in low light environments) that are not found in any point and shoot cameras, excepting cameras like the Canon S-90 which is in the near $400 range.

Most small P+S cameras in the $200 and below range, need to use the camera's built-in flash unit to cope with low light environments. The same is true for videos, added lighting will be required to get good image quality.

Currently, www.officedepot.com has the Sony H-20 on sale for $199.95. The H-20 has the best automatic mode and the best built-in flash unit in the compact zoom class. It has 10 X optical zoom and HD video that allows you to zoom while filming.

Another camera in your budgeted price range is the Samsung SL-420 with 12mp and 5X optical zoom. Standard video rather than HD video and it sells for around $120.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:13 PM   #3

Thanks for the fast reply Sarah Joyce Wait I guess I have to rephrase what I said above; I think it should be natural light, and not low light. Like the lighting inside the house during early morning, something like that. I looked for online sellers based in my country (Philippines) for those two models and I am terribly upset that they are overpriced. The Sony sells for ~$260 at the cheapest while the Samsung one sells for ~$215. Ugh. So with regard to the new condition I mentioned above, what else can you suggest? I guess the most important is good picture and video quality (I'm not really expecting much for the price I'm willing to pay, but I'm looking for the most bang for my buck), especially since the subject will be an energetic baby that will be moving about.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:39 PM   #4

Either the Samsung SL-420 or the TL-320, or the Sony H-20 offer the best features. Please remember it always helps us a great deal, if you tel you reside outside the USA.

Sarah Joycel
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:04 PM   #5

I can't find the Samsung ones, while the Sony is over my budget.. Hmm. How about Canon P&S cameras? There's a lot of sellers here selling those. Apologies for not saying in my first post that I'm not from the US
Old Mar 12, 2010, 7:47 AM   #6

flipper-

In the Canon line of cameras, there is the SD-1200 camera, it has 10mp 3X optical zoom and even an optical viewfinder. It does standard video, and sell here in the USA for $(US)149.00.

If you want HD video, you would have to move up to the SD-780. It has the same 3X optical zoom, but this time 12mp and it sells for around $(US)180 here in the USA.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:46 PM   #7

hi! i saw a secondhand canon a1100 being sold here for a cheap price (~$130). would this camera be suitable for my needs?
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:59 PM   #8

flipper-

Yes, the A-1100 is a capable and good camera. It has fewer high ISO capabilities, but it fits your budget and it is capable of good image quality.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:16 PM   #9

Ms. Sarah Joyce, hi! I'm also looking at these choices: Panasonic Lumix dmc-fs7, Kodak easy share m340, Nikon coolpix l18, Olympus fe-4010. Along with the A1100 can you please rank them as to what would most suit me for my needs? And if you could also post their prices in the US, so much the better Thanks!
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:56 PM   #10

flipper-

The two best cameras are:

Panasonic FS-7 sells for $120 to $130 in the USA
Canon A-1100 sells for $129 to $139 in the USA

I would eliminate the other choices as they produce far less image quality.

Sarah Joyce