Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 12, 2010, 8:02 AM   #1

Default Help pick out a P 'n' S

Hi all,

I need a camera for work. I do inside/outside foreclosure clean ups.
And can do over 1800 pics a day. 20-50% flash depending on rain.

Trying to figure out if Li-Ion or AA would be better. I can charge in my car but a single Li-Ion in a camera I'm bumming for work isn't cutting it...

I would not like it to fall apart if I look at it wrong or drop it out the pocket a time or two...

Oh yah and cheep... Under 200 Ok, Under 150 Best, Under 100 really nice but don't see it happening.

I know Canons seem to be the best in the low price range but looking at anything that will fit my bill...

The only other thing is I use Linux so no weird interfaces or cards. I can read SD cards just fine. And I assume MMC too.

The new Ni-Zn Batteries look really neat if the voltage isn't too high for the camera.

Thanks for your input,

Nathan
(Caesium)
Caesium is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2010, 8:40 AM   #2
Administrator

1800 pics per day?

At that rate, you may have to buy a new camera very soon again, as it's unusual to see a non pro grade camera last more than 50K to 100K clicks. ;-)

Fortunately, point and shoot style cameras don't have sophisticated mirror and shutter mechanisms. But, I'd still expect to see problems with any camera using a mechanical type shutter and aperture getting that much use.

As for Linux, as long as you have a card reader, you should be able to read any of the more standard card types being used (CompactFlash, Memory Stick Pro Duo, SDHC).

That's not necessarily the case when using the camera as a reader, as some cameras are not USB Mass Storage Compliant. But, with a USB attached card reader you should be fine.

One exception would be the new SDXC Cards using the exFAT file system. exFAT is a new proprietary file system from Microsoft. It's a shame that manufacturers have adopted yet another proprietary file system, given the FAT patent fiasco not long ago. But, it looks like that's the way it's going to be, as camera manufacturers have already started adopting it with some newer models. More on licensing here:

http://www.microsoft.com/iplicensing...sing%20Program

From what I can gather, Tuxera has entered into an arrangement with Microsoft to that allows them to develop an exFAT driver for Linux. But, it's apparently going to be closed source (their agreement with Microsoft prevents them from developing an open source version like they have with NTFS-3G). That figures. ;-)

However, there is another Linux driver you can get for this file system, thanks to Alex Buell. You'll have to decide if it's a violation of patent law to use it (if you're in a country that recognizes software patents), as I understand there is a patent pending on exFAT.

http://www.munted.org.uk/programming/exfat.tar.bz2

As for issues like battery life, I'd make sure to read the review conclusions here for models you consider. They usually discuss a camera's battery life. I'll let others more familiar with cameras in your price range suggest some.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:21 AM   #3

Nathan-

For your around $110.00 camera take a look at the Samsung SL-420. Mine has been a real performer and it constantly surprises me. At that price you can afford two of them.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 11:27 PM   #4

Hmm I didn't think about duty cycle...

Thanks for the info on the file systems... I live in the US so there are such laws.... But then again who would know...

Sadly I have to take a lot of action shots of my self working so a nice pro grade would be out of the question do to size.

Thanks, Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
1800 pics per day?

At that rate, you may have to buy a new camera very soon again, as it's unusual to see a non pro grade camera last more than 50K to 100K clicks. ;-)

Fortunately, point and shoot style cameras don't have sophisticated mirror and shutter mechanisms. But, I'd still expect to see problems with any camera using a mechanical type shutter and aperture getting that much use.

As for Linux, as long as you have a card reader, you should be able to read any of the more standard card types being used (CompactFlash, Memory Stick Pro Duo, SDHC).

That's not necessarily the case when using the camera as a reader, as some cameras are not USB Mass Storage Compliant. But, with a USB attached card reader you should be fine.

One exception would be the new SDXC Cards using the exFAT file system. exFAT is a new proprietary file system from Microsoft. It's a shame that manufacturers have adopted yet another proprietary file system, given the FAT patent fiasco not long ago. But, it looks like that's the way it's going to be, as camera manufacturers have already started adopting it with some newer models. More on licensing here:

http://www.microsoft.com/iplicensing...sing%20Program

From what I can gather, Tuxera has entered into an arrangement with Microsoft to that allows them to develop an exFAT driver for Linux. But, it's apparently going to be closed source (their agreement with Microsoft prevents them from developing an open source version like they have with NTFS-3G). That figures. ;-)

However, there is another Linux driver you can get for this file system, thanks to Alex Buell. You'll have to decide if it's a violation of patent law to use it (if you're in a country that recognizes software patents), as I understand there is a patent pending on exFAT.

http://www.munted.org.uk/programming/exfat.tar.bz2

As for issues like battery life, I'd make sure to read the review conclusions here for models you consider. They usually discuss a camera's battery life. I'll let others more familiar with cameras in your price range suggest some.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 10:23 AM   #5

Thanks. I'll add that to my list. The other ones I'm looking at are:
Canon A1100
Other Canon A's
Fuji Z33WP
Cheep Fuji's A's
Cheep Olympus's

Right now I'm using an Olympus FE-4010. The battery is a little small I think.
That's why I was thinking about the AA platform so I can have a lot of spares for little money and charge them 4-8 at a time.

The Fuji Z33WP might be the best as far was ruggedness but it use the same battery as the Olympus.

Thanks all,
Nathan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Nathan-

For your around $110.00 camera take a look at the Samsung SL-420. Mine has been a real performer and it constantly surprises me. At that price you can afford two of them.

Sarah Joyce