Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 13, 2010, 6:01 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
I have attached an ISO 200 photo sample.

Sarah Joyce
Sarah, can you please post a 100% crop as per http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...a-quality.html as at this size it doesn't show the OP anything tangible, as we've seen in a few recent posts a phone can take as good or better shots when reduced to web size?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 7:55 PM   #12

Nev-

I we have spun the discussion down to something akin to "how cute is the camera?" Then I guess I am out of here, as I am a more technically oriented person, who sees a camera as a tool rather than a fashion accessory.

Image quality is a rather subjective term in my experience. I have attached a flash photo that I took when testing the flash coverage of the HZ15W. I think the image quality is fine. I also think the Flash Range (the distance measured in feet from the camera to the subject) was just fine. The Flash Range was 15 feet and the ISO setting was 1600 just so you can see what a higher ISO setting looks like on this camera.

If you a bit more reading about the indoor image quality complaints for the ZS3, you will find that those complaints all revolve around the reduced Flash Range of the ZS3 camera. The real Flash Range is just 6 to 8 feet.

I also like the full manual capability of the HZ15W's P for Programed Auto Mode.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 8:00 PM   #13

nev-

Here is a 100% crop of the same photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:28 AM   #14

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the pictures. I appreciate the help. I am not particularly impressed by the pictures but that is all I would expect from a compact P&S. This discussion has helped me narrow down my choices. I'll do a bit more reading and decide between the HZ15W and ZS3.

And btw, I use a camera for its functionality too. But when it comes to P&S and especially since I'm buying it for a gift, I wanted to look into the aesthetics too.

Thanks for all the help!
- Nev
nevjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:53 AM   #15

I sell cameras at a retail store. All I will say is go with the ZS3. A far better camera...
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 1:22 AM   #16

One camera missing from your list is the Sony H20. This little puppy has full manual control and a very sharp lens. The photos below was taken with the H20. The only thing I did was put 5 images through Photomatix and Topaz Adjust 4. No sharpness was added yet nor have they been put through photoshop for final tweaking.
Attached Images

Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:08 AM   #17

Thanks for your suggestion. The reason I did not consider the H20 is because it was relatively much bulkier. The H55 and HX5 look good but its not out yet. I am particular about compactness because I already have a DSLR if I needed to take good pictures.
nevjac is offline   Reply With Quote