Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 13, 2010, 6:44 PM   #1

Default Best choice for me?

I'm starting my camera hunt again, after not paying attention to cameras for many years. Not really sure where to start looking, as so much has changed. Hopefully some of you might be able to point me in the right direction. I've been looking at the FZ35 so far, but it's still pretty early in researching.

I am a basic/novice user, who is looking for a camera I can throw in a motorcycle saddlebag and pull out as needed for a quick shot or two. Mainly will be used outdoors (day and night), nature shots, some motorcycle action shots, with occasional indoor shots. The more I can do without having to take off thick motorcycle gloves, the better.

The important things to me, are:

good auto mode (no laughing),
zoom range 18x+
8mp+,
although I don't know much about what I need, some type of burst mode.
good image stabilization

Note:
Video doesn't matter to me.

Thank you very much for any advice
Danballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2010, 7:23 PM   #2

Danballa-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted your dropped by.

Clearly the best camera in the automatic mode is the Sony H-20. It also has the best built-in flash unit as well. The Panasonic FZ-35 is also equally as good, when it is shot in the P Mode. Technically, the P Mode stands for Programed Automatic. However, there are some users who wish for the mode to also be labelled "Automatic. Ironically the "IA" mode which is supposed to indicate "ISO Automatic" does not work as well as the "P" Mode on the FZ-35.

We also have a large and very active FZ-35 group in the Panasonic point and shoot folder who share photos and technical tips.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 7:32 PM   #3

The FZ35/38 is a nice camera, but I find that when I ride, I want a pure point an shoot camera. I find that with my glove on, I really can not do much else but push the shutter button. That being said, I would look at the more compact camera like the panasonic zs3, canon sx210. I can leave them in my tank bag, or in my jacket. Make it quick to take out and shoot. But do not expect to much in the motorcycle action shots, as this is not something point and shoot camera shine in. Even a bridge camera like the fz35/38.

On my last big motorcycle trip, NYC to Savannah the camera that my wife and I decide to bring with us was our old reliable point and shoot with a 8x zoom. It was simple to pack and quick to set up and take the shot.

Both the canon sx210 and panasonic zs3 are better then my current point and shoot, and will give you a bit more control if you choose to get deeper into photography.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 5:10 PM   #4

I would really recommend the Sony HX1. It has 9.1 Megapixels, 10FPS burst mode, 20X optical zoom, 3" swivel screen, HD video recording, and a lot more features. It is a little more expensive than the FZ35, but I think it has some qualities that make it much better than the FZ35.

Here's the cheapest I could it at a reputable dealer: http://www.butterflyphoto.com/prodin...ef=Froogle_New

And heres the promo video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtyKoONywXM

Have a nice day.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:33 AM   #5

I went with friends today to pick up a new camera, as they are planning on taking a cross country trip form cali back to nyc in may. We looked at couple of camera and they love the wide angle lens of the panasonic zs3. They brought their motorcycle gloves with them an found that is was large enough to handle with gloves on but small enough to put in to their jacket or tank bag. And the 12 times zoom was nice. The found it a really nice travel camera. And the HD video feature was really nice.

Also one of them like that she can have some manual control if she decide to get more into photography.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 16, 2010 at 9:09 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 2:12 AM   #6

Well, tomorrow I am going to go look at the FZ3, and the H-20, sadly though, they don't have the fz35 as well.

Is there any reason that I should avoid the ZS3?

From the reviews I've been reading, I'm leaning towards a Panasonic. All that might change when I get other styles in my hands though. I still have another week to review, and decide.

Thank you all for all suggestions, and assistance.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 2:21 AM   #7

Not really the ZS3 is an excellent camera. Great wide angle lens, decent zoom at 14x, excellent image quality, takes nice HD videos. Small and compact. My friend sent me some night indoor shots. And within 15ft the flash works just fine. It makes for a really nice travel point and shoot camera on a motorcycle being compact.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 2:30 AM   #8

She went an got a point and shoot neck strap for the camera instead. And tried it out. She just unzip her jacket quickly half way, and with one hand turn on the camera and snap a shot on the bike. And was able to quickly put it away.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:50 AM   #9

Danballa-

Good luck with your camera searcj.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 6:17 PM   #10

So in 42degree, and overcast weather, I ventured out in not enough warm clothes on the Busa, and went to look at cameras. First stop, was the only local, (if you consider 40min one way local) place I could find online that said they carried the FZ35. I get there, half frozen, and they are out of business. Website didn't say anything about that!

I decided to go to a computer place, and checked out the cameras they had there, lots of Canon and Nikon's, a couple Sony (they had the H-20, but it wasn't plugged in, and wouldn't turn on), Fuji, Olympus, and a few Panasonic. I played with the ZS3, and I really like it. It will easily fit into my jacket pocket, which the more I think about it, is becoming a bigger and bigger plus vs a saddlebag. That alone might rule out the FZ35, if I can ever find it heh. (i emailed Panasonic about a close dealer that would have it)

By the time I got moving again, I started that entire getting cold process all over again, and decided it was time to go get some Chinese, and head home. Tomorrow is supposed to be mid 50's and some sun even! I will be back out with a couple Dr. appointments, so I plan on going to some camera places, and looking some more at the Sony models, and whatever else they have.

Thanks for advice, and patience with me