Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 14, 2010, 5:07 PM   #1

Default Looking for a new P &S camera

Hello all.

I currently have a Panasonic DMC-FZ5 that I bought almost 5 years ago. Sadly, the 5mp limit is starting to irk me, though I like the 12x optic zoom.

The gf has a 10mp camera a SD790IS, that takes much better photos, but the zoom is a horrific 3x.

Trying to get pictures of wildlife is practically impossible with hers, and while its easier with mine, the pictures just aren't looking right when printed higher than 8x10. *we are self decorating the house with shots we take*

I do take sports photos and other long range photos as I said.
size and battery type are not an issue.
50/50 indoor/outdoor shooting, anything indoors will be close up shots of our mini dachunds. Outdoor shots are birds/deer/any wildlife i can find, and landscap shots. Basically a bit of everything.
Flash usage indoors is fine.
We plan on learning more about photography in the coming year.
I like the idea of being about to ajdust settings myself if I want once I learn more about it.
I plan on buying a tripod for shots I am not rushing on, but it would be nice to have some sort of OIS for the shots that aren't completely zoomed.
I dont NEED super high def video. I view that more as a "its nice to have" but its not a dealbreaker.
----------------------
I have recently decided to purchase a new camera for my birthday and have been looking at this camera.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/olympus/sp-590-uz/steves-conclusion-9.html

I was hoping for some feedback on this camera or suggestions on others that would be about as good.
I like the idea of the large zoom, so any others in the 15-26x zoom range would be fine. I'd like to not go higher than $350 ideally.

thanks in advance for any suggestions/feedback you may have.

Last edited by joleme; Mar 14, 2010 at 5:25 PM.
joleme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2010, 6:35 PM   #2

joleme-

Welcome to the Forum. We delighted that you dropped by.

The Olympus Sp-590 is one of the better super zoom cameras on the market today. In fact the super zoom market has more cameras in it right now than in several years. The two leading contenders are the Panasonic FZ-35 and the Canon SX-20.

We have a very active group of Fz-35/FZ38 (they are essentially the same camera, but there are two variations with separate model designators for different portions of the world) group in our Panasonic P+S Folder, where you will find lots of photo and video samples as well as comradeship and the swapping of photo hints. Drop by, I think that you would enjoy it.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:02 AM   #3

Thanks for the 2 other options. If anyone else reads this, would you have an opinion on those 3? or if the Olympus is straight out of the question, of the panasonic and the canon, which would you prefer.'

I'm going to look at some more reviews for both, but any discussion would be welcomed regarding the two.
joleme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:11 PM   #4

joleme-

My decision was to go with the FZ-35. For me it has the perfect combination of features and handling. I also own the Olympus SP-590. But I end up using the FZ-35 90% of the time.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote