Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:35 PM   #21

Nikon D90 is a very nice camera; in fact the features it inherits from Nikon D300 makes it even better. So, congrats....

I still suggest to go for 18-200 VR-II lens instead of this kit lens.

Anyways... welcome to Nikon gang...

- Niranjan
nnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:43 PM   #22

Congrats, it is a really nice camera. With a nice lens.

Each lens has its advantages, the 18-200mm gives you a decent all around lens with good reach. Very fast af lens

The canon 15-85 would be a very good landscape lens as it is wilder on the short end. It is a very fast auto focusing lens also with the USM motor.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 1:14 PM   #23
Super Moderator

The D90 is a good camera and should fit your needs well.

I think your plan of the 18-105, 50 1.8 and adding a nice tele later is the best option.

the 18-105 is a pretty convenient normal zoom, giving you a decent zoom range and overall pretty good optics. and the 50 1.8 will make a nice portrait lens and give you the ability to get shallow dof when you need it

i would not go with the suggestion of the 18-200, it is a compromise in optics for convenience. while not a necessarily bad superzoom, it has some of the worst distortion figures around. these are lenses for travel/convenience, not something you want for normal shooting. though i am sure that statement will ruffle someones feathers and will disagree.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 1:47 PM   #24
Administrator

The 18-200mm VR is really not a bad lens. Color, contrast, and flare resistance are much better than expected. But, it does have it's share of softness at corners and edges at wide open apertures at some focal lengths if you care about that kind of thing and are "pixel peeping" to look at those differences.

From a convenience perspective, it's a really good lens. If I wanted a super zoom type lens, it would be at or near the top of my list if I were shooting with a model like the D90. Sometimes, it's really not practical to swap lenses, as you can miss shot opportunities if you need to change lenses. So, it definitely has it's place; and if I were a Nikon user, I might consider getting one as a general purpose lens. Most users would probably find it to be just fine at typical viewing/print sizes, and it really does perform quite well for a lens with it's focal range from wide to long.

But, I would disagree with this comment about it's "very fast af".

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Each lens has its advantages, the 18-200mm gives you a decent all around lens with good reach. Very fast af lens...
On the surface, it "seems" fast (because of how quiet it's "Silent Wave" focus motor works. But, if you pay attention to the scene in your viewfinder, you can actually watch it [sometimes quite slowly] coming into focus as you change distances much from wide to long (for example, shooting a person a close range, then changing to a subject further away and trying to catch a shot before that subject changes position/facial expression, etc.).

Just because a lens has an Ultrasonic type focus motor (AF-S, SSM, HSM, USM, or whatever a manufacturer decides to call it), doesn't mean it's got fast Autofocus. Often, a "screw drive" lens can outperform an Ultrasonic focusing motor type lens, depending on the camera body and how fast it's focus motor is, combined with how the lens is geared.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:17 PM   #25

I own the Nikon Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens-

JimC is very correct. It is a very convenient lens but it is not truly a fast focusing lens. The Nikkor 18-105mmVR and the 55-200mmVR lenses, twqo other comon Nikon lenses are faster focusing.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 9:30 PM   #26

Congratulations, and I am about to do the same, but probably body only as I upgrade my D40 - keeing it as backup. Since I have the 18-55 and 55-200 and am happy with them, particurally the 55-200. The 18-105 is a decent lens, but decided to defer on that when I calculated would only cost $20 more to buy the body and lens separately. Didn't see that as too big a risk, and gives me the option to use $$ towards other lens.

Again, congratulations.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:05 AM   #27

if you are going to look into a 18-105, i am looking to sell mine, just let me know.
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:16 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjunkiee View Post
if you are going to look into a 18-105, i am looking to sell mine, just let me know.
Ohh I am from India. So how this possible.

Still 8 hours left for my purchase. What other things should I buy with Camera.
I already had a tripod.
toofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:22 AM   #29

a good nikon flash, extra battery, class 6 or better sdhc card. If the lenses does not come with a lens hood, that would be a good investment. Good options to add hot shoe level, remote shutter release, IR, Cable or both, ebay is good for these item, non ebay items would be a good circular polarizer. A good bag, a clean kit with a rocket blower and you should be set.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:55 AM   #30

Default Not heard of these Items.

Ohh I haven't heard of many of those Items.

Flash not this time. First I will become familier with my first DSLR.
Yes something for protection of my camera and its lens.
toofan is offline   Reply With Quote