Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:48 AM   #1

Default Nikon D90 or Cannon 550D?

Hi I want to know which camera to buy Nikon D90 or Canon 550d.

I don't consider Video as an attribute. I want to buy camera for its image quality. and I will not be upgrading till next 5 to 6 years. Thanks.
toofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:55 AM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the forums.

I've moved your post down to our What Camera Should I Buy? Forum, which is setup for these types of questions.

Both of these cameras should be good choices with similar image quality in most conditions. The 550D is brand new. So, you may have to wait a bit before getting much feedback about it. But, Image Quality should be similar to the EOS-7D.

Both Canon and Nikon both have good selections of lenses, too. I'd try them out in store so you can see the model you're more comfortable with (ergonomics, control layout, etc.). Then decide on the lenses needed to help narrow down the decision (for example, looking at size/weight/cost for the focal lengths needed). You may also want to let members know what you're going to be taking photos of more often (subjects/conditions) to help narrow down the choices. But, they're very comparable in most ways. So, much of it boils down to preference.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:13 PM   #3

What do you want to shoot?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:38 PM   #4

Default What do you want to shoot?

Thanks for quick reply.

I love to take Portraits. And will be shooting Indian Weddings which takes place mostly in Nights.
I will do object photography also indoors for selling them online.

I like to take landscapes also for change of mood as I live in Hills of Nainital, India.

Quality of Images matters most for me not the video quality.

Last edited by toofan; Mar 15, 2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 1:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofan View Post
Thanks for quick reply.

I love to take Portraits. And will be shooting Indian Weddings which takes place mostly in Nights.
I will do object photography also indoors for selling them online.

I like to take landscapes also for change of mood as I live in Hills of Nainital, India.

Quality of Images matters most for me not the video quality.
For image quality for the wedding work especially, the LENS, FLASH and your skill will matter more. Do not expect either camera with kit lens and built in flash to do a great job.

Again for portraits other factors will have a bigger impact on image quality: the backgrounds you choose, the lighting you use, the lens you use (especially if you do shallow DOF portraits. If you're doing studio work with strobes and backdrop and shooting at f11 the lens is not as important).

So, for these 2 important uses expect either body to perform as well as the other. But expect both to do poorly until you've got the right lenses, the right lighting and the right backgrounds AND the proficiency to shoot these types of photos.

I've seen some horrible results in these two examples with professional grade gear. While with the right lens/flash/strobes/background you'll get stunning results from either camera you're considering.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 1:55 PM   #6

toofan, have you seen these comparisons online?

http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/...Compared.shtml

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ca...ise_JPEG.shtml

http://www.camera-catalog.com/compar...d_vs_nikon_d90
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 4:47 PM   #7

For what you want to do, there isn't really anything that distinguishes one from the other, except possibly the greater resolution of the Canon 550D. But for that purpose, you should get soemthing better and more applicable than either of the respective kit lenses (not to mention a flash.)

I suggest you make a trip to a good camera store and see which one you like better. If you can't comfortably hold it, if you can't find the controls and commands when you need them, you'll miss shots, and that can cost you much more than the difference between those cameras.

Last edited by TCav; Mar 15, 2010 at 4:50 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 5:23 PM   #8
Super Moderator

John made some great points.

and I agree with TCAV going back to your original question. either camera would do just as good as the other. so find the camera that best fits your comforts.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:09 PM   #9

So friends this means that
1. Image quality wise both cameras are similar.
2. Lens are more important In choice.

This time i will be buying only kit lens and thereafter I will be adding lenses. Which has good lens for the price point they have? Thanks.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:14 PM   #10

Canon has a larger selection, but both have good lenses and not so good lens in their line ups and from 3rd parties.