Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:32 AM   #1

Default DSLR I am new and very confused on what to get

Hello to all.

I am sure this has been answered a million times. I have read some of the threads and now I am even more confused on what to get.

What I do know is that I want a DSLR. (First One) I have been using a 4 year old kodak point and shoot.

There is so many models and so many numbers that it has confused me.

Here is what I am looking for. It is mostly going to be for family pictures and taking pictures of off road rc nitro car racing.

I do not want to get into the heavy profession of camera shooting but I want very nice clear images that show detail.

I am looking to buy a package deal where everything that I need comes in 1 box. (Camera and Lens).

This is alot of money so I dont want the buyers remorse when someone says this one over here would have been better.

For some reason I am leaning on Nikon based on what I see alot of people having these.

I have been looking at this one. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11480706&whse=BC&Ne=5000001+40 00000&eCat=BC|79|83&N=4040592%204294967213&Mo=3&No =0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&l ang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

Any help is greatly appreciated. I am not stuck on Nikon. I am looking to spend no more than $800.00.

Is there a camera for me.

Thanks to all who reply. I really need help.
Dishsoap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:50 AM   #2

Hiya, Dishsoap, welcome to the forum by the way... I am also in the market for buying a new dslr, as make the move into digital from film and my Nokia N95.

You mentioned that you are leaning toward Nikon, which is a great choice. But if I may, the Pentax Kx is rated as one of the best dslr for entry-level cameras...

Whatever you buy, be sure to get your hands on the critter... see if you like the controls and are not swamped by them... check the grip... look it over, and ask lots of questions. Yes it is an investment, and you don't want to waste a single dollar/pound/euro

All the best.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:59 AM   #3

For what you say you want to do, any dSLR will do a good job. Except, that is, for "taking pictures of off road rc nitro car racing". For that, you'll need a fast, accurate autofocus system, and for that, your best bet is something from Canon. And if you're not thinking about taking photos in low light, the Canon XSi will work well and is a bargain. If you want to use it to record videos or shoot in low light without flash, you'd need to step up to at least the T1i.

The entry level Nikons won't be very good for "taking pictures of off road rc nitro car racing", so I think that, while you might get some good results, you'll have better luck with a Canon.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:14 AM   #4

I agree with TCAV on his assessment - without the RC stuff any camera will suffice. When you introduce the RC to the equation, the Canon system is going to be a better system than Pentax for action. But you'll need an additional lens - the basic kit lens in any system isn't going to be long enough for RC work. Now, here's where you have to decide how important this RC work is to you. When it comes to photographing moving subjects and doing it creatively, not all lenses are equal. One important attribute you won't see in a spec sheet is focus speed. Focus speed is a combination of the camera AND the lens. The camera is the 'brains' and fast focusing lenses have a built-in focus motor that is the 'brawn'. Not all focus motors are equal. For normal shooting that doesn't matter a whole lot. But when you're tracking moving subjects and the camera/lens is constantly re-focusing it can matter. So you have some decisions. Fortunately in the Canon camp you have different options based on how important these features are:

Budget: 55-250mm. This lens is often sold in kits with the T1i camera as a 2 lens kit. It's an f5.6 lens so you can only use in good light. It's good quality optics at an affordable price. But it's slow to focus compared to better lenses designed for action.

2nd option: Canon 70-300 IS USM: faster focusing than the 55-250 but at $560
3rd option: Canon 70-200 f4 (non IS version) - professional grade lens with professional build, professional optics AND canon's Ring USM focus motor - so very fast to focus. about $600.

The point is: Canon's system offers better in-body focus tracking than Pentax and possibly better than entry level Nikons (but I'm not convinced of that). And remember we're talking TRACKING performance - that's the big key. I"m not saying it's any more accurate for single-shot usage. It probably isn't. But when it comes to tracking moving subjects it is more advanced. BUT, that's only one part of things - you lose some of that benefit by using a slow focusing lens. So you only realize the full benefit by using lenses with Canon ring USM focus or sigma HSM focus.

That's why it's important to decide how important the RC photography is.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:29 AM   #5
Super Moderator

You've been given good advice by TCav and JohnG on what to look at if RC Car shooting is important to you.

I've covered a few events and it is much harder than the full size racing I cover. You and the camera need to be spot on in settings and skill if you want to get good shots. I wouldn't say that I was in tune enough even though I know my kit well and I have fast focusing lenses.

With some practise these are the sort of quality you should be expecting to get as long as you have a body/lens combo that focuses fast enough and tracks well enough. With a lot more practise then you should be getting better than this.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 3:46 PM   #6

Wow!!!! Great advice and so quick. I really appreciate it.

If canon is the way to go would it be possible to lead me in the right direction with a link as to what I need to get. The rc thing is important but not important enough to spend an additional $500 to $600 on a seperate lens.

Looking to do this one time and one time only. Any great body plus mutiple lens combo from cannon to at least get me going.

thanks again to everyone. You all have been very helpful. I would say most of my shooting would be coming from regualr shots. The rc thing is just so often.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 5:09 PM   #7

Sony is coming into the picture now. It looks like they have some pretty good pricing for a 2 kit lens
Old Mar 16, 2010, 6:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishsoap View Post
Sony is coming into the picture now. It looks like they have some pretty good pricing for a 2 kit lens
Yes, sony has some nice cameras. But you give up focus tracking performance as the current production models are not on par with Canon.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishsoap View Post
For entry level dSLRs, Canon has the best autofocus system for what you want to do.

Sony's aren't bad.

Nikon's aren't bad.

Pentax' aren't bad.

They're just not as good.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 9:11 PM   #10

OK canon seems to be the way to go.

Can you give me a 1 recommendation on what to get with lens. Looking for a combo with the 2 lenses that usually come with kits.

If it was your money and you were spending no more than 7 hundred what would buy to get started.

Thanks everyone.