Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 17, 2010, 8:43 AM   #1

Default under water camera's

Hi all, having just come back form a trip to the Egypt and the red sea where i did a lot of snorkelling i am in the hunt for a not to expensive digital camera i can use under water.

i have no knowledge of these types of cameras so was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction.

i have no idea what sort of under water photography i would want to do, so i cannot help there.

as long as the viewer is easy to see and it has a reasonable zoom on it so you can get closer up shots with out getting to close your self, i am also thinking maybe a wide zoom lens might be useful.

i did not really want to spend over 200.

as i side note i have read that you can get a case for a normal digital camera to use underwater i have a olympus 8080WZ but i did not really want to go down this route unless anyone can tell me this is a good way to go

any help would be great!
Blaupunkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:09 PM   #2

for your budget I would look at the intova line of dive camera, they are basic point and shoots camera, but take okay underwater photos. They are like 200 us dollars for a intova IC10, I have a IC 6 I got for scuba couple of years ago, and it okay for underwater snap shots. If you want better UW performance, a better point and shoot with a housing is a good option. But that will surpass your budget.

Underwater case are available but it depends if it is a popular camera for diving. Some point and shoot housing will cost more then the camera itself. Think olympus had a case for your camera but it was about 550 dollars, ikelite has them too, but again they are way above your stated budget.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 1:37 PM   #3

ok thanks, i didnt think there would be much point in spending loads on one at the moment, its not like i get the chance to do it alot
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:02 PM   #4

since posting the initial thread i have some a little research and it seems i will have to spend a little more than i first thought.

so with that in mind i read reviews and comments about the following 3 "water proof" camera's.

these are, Canon Powershot D 10, Panasonic Lumix FT1 and the Olympus Mju Tough 8000.

the camera's main use will be for taking pictures while snorkelling and hopefully "shallow" diving of a few meters down, i have my 8080wz for 99% of all normal shooting so unless its raining or something then i will continue to use that for everything else.

i am kind of leaning to wards the Canon, can anyone advise on these 3 models or maybe suggest something i have not seen.

thanks again.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:38 PM   #5

When I went to Hawaii, I just bought one of the one time use disposables that was waterproof to 12 or so feet. Granted it was in film, but I think they offer them in both film and digital now.

For lack of a long term need for an underwater housing, it certainly sufficed, and decent pictures of fish around the rocks.

EDIT:
Just went to B&H Photo and typed in "disposable" which jumped quickly to all disposable cameras. No digital, all 35mm 27 exposure. The two waterproof underwater ones were Kodak (to 50') and Fuji (35'). Considering the furthest i've free dove (no scuba) was 33' and grabbed a handful of sand to win a bet, should have no problems with either brands. Reviews are good on both.

Last edited by tizeye; Mar 17, 2010 at 7:46 PM.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:46 PM   #6

for snorkeling the disposable ones are not a bad idea, unless you are planning to snorkel more often or planning to take more then allot more photo then the 27 shots 13 dollar digital disposable will give you.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaupunkt View Post
i am kind of leaning to wards the Canon, can anyone advise on these 3 models or maybe suggest something i have not seen.

thanks again.
Here is a recent group test of those models and and others.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:58 PM   #8

Blaupunkt,

Here's a review of some of the type you're looking at:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/

Not the greatest image quality, but OK for the style and type. You might consider something like the Canon G11 with a separate waterproof housing, but that might blow your budget.

Good luck,
the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:59 PM   #9

Almost a tie, tizeye - you got there first...

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 8:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinniethehun View Post
Almost a tie, tizeye - you got there first...

the Hun
Would have been even sooner if I hadn't skimmed the review. What I was looking for was a general assessment of how the better ones fared in optical performance against non-waterproof cameras. Didn't even see a summary sentence that issue.

Althoug, I noticed he apparently lives in Great Britian, based on the Pound Sterling price limit. May get a lot of use out of a waterproof cameras as I know my wellies did when I lived over there for 3 years.