Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:09 PM   #11

PB,

You are really trying hard to push the d90. But you can get the same things for the T1i new for less money.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:28 PM   #12

First off,
Thanks for all the replies. Definitely has helped me narrow down my choices for my budget.

T1i vs T2i...
Correct me if I'm wrong, the only difference between these models are the rate they shoot video, megapixels, and price. Any other difference? Anything based on my needs, would I benefit from the newer model? I am really leaning towards the T1i from what I have read. What would be a good price for one?

Nikon D90
I need to check this out at the store again. I remember vaguely that the Nikons seemed to have a dimmer viewfinders, but then again, I do not know if that really is a factor.

Nikon D3000/D5000
What do you mean by autofocus? I thought all cameras have this. Is it a limitation of the camera or the kit lenses?

Pentax K-X
Definitely seems to hit the budget concern, but unsure about the brand. From what I have read, the K-X gets great reviews, but on the other hand, not too sure about the long term upgrade progression with lenses and etc.

As for the events, people are not relying on me to take photos. I'm doing more as a learning experience.

As for used, I was meaning second hand from people on craigslist or ebay. Refurbished is okay with me, as long as it has a comparable warranty to retail boxes.

Once again, thanks for the replies...
HighExp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:47 PM   #13

T1i is about 730 for the one lens 18-55mm. I have this camera think it is a fantastic camera with great image quality. And canon has the best auto focus system in this segment.

The D3000/5000 do not have a in body autofocus motors, so the primes mention that do not have built in motors will not auto focus on these body. Example is the 50mm lens tha PB pointed out. It is 102 dollars, but to get one that will auto focus on the d3000/5000 you will need to spend 450 dollars for the nikon lens in the same range. Nikon has the best flash system.

Pentax k-x is a great camera, I recommended it to my brother as budget was a big concern for him 700 dollars for the 2 lens kit, and spent 30 buck for a good charger and sanyo eneloop AA rechargeable about 1100 shots per charge. Pentax has been around a very long time. And any of their older AF lens will work on the new pentax. They have a decent lens line up also, and tamron and sigma makes lenses for it. Also since it uses sensor shift image stabilization vs. the lens system canon and nikon uses. Any lens you get, you will still get a IS option. This can save you some money in the long run. The pentax has the best low light sensor, rivaling the T1i and T2i in this department.

Refreb gets a warranty, but you need to go through the dealer.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:53 PM   #14

canon referb t1i similar set up as PB's D90 set up

http://www.adorama.com/ICADRT1IKR.html

http://www.adorama.com/CA5018AFUR.html

http://www.adorama.com/CA8518AFR.html
Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:56 PM   #15

Default Warranty on refurbs

What are the typical warranties on refurbs? 90 days or 1 year like retail box?
Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:57 PM   #16

I know that it is 1 year with the canon through Adorama, they get them from canon not a referb company. This was info was provided by helen form adorama.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:00 PM   #17

PS,

I have brought referbs from adorama in the past and never had issues, if that is a road you are considering it is a pretty save bet on the referb route.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:05 PM   #18

HighExp-

Autofocus is the means by which the camera attains sharp focus in any photo environment. When the light level in the photo environment falls to a very low level, the Pentax Kx, the Nikon D-3000 and the D-5000 will reach a light level as darkness approaches where the autofocus system will finally have insufficient light to attain sharp focus.

However, as I currently understand the kind of photos you will be taking, auto focus will probably not be a problem. Indoors as even with P+S cameras, a flash helps to brighten up the photo nicely.

An external flash option that is priced at the consumer price level is the Nissin Di622. So, I would encourage you to use an external flash for the baptism and the like. The Guide Feature of the D-3000 would be very helpful for you, just read the reviews.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:29 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighExp View Post
Nikon D3000/D5000
What do you mean by autofocus? I thought all cameras have this. Is it a limitation of the camera or the kit lenses?
Nikon Autofocus film SLR and dSLR bodies always had motors that drove the autofocus mechanisms in the lenses. Most lenses used those motors, but some used their own motors because they would be faster and/or quieter, but a number of Nikon's lenses and many third party lenses still don't have their own motor and rely entirely on the motor in the body.

The 85mm f/1.8 lens I mentioned that you'd need to shoot basketball, doesn't have it's own autofocus motor.

Starting with the Nikon D40, Nikon made a line of lower priced dSLRs that didn't have an autofocus motor, and so will only autofocus with lenses that have their own motor. In the current product line, the D3000 and D5000 fall into that category, so the lens you'd need to shoot basketball won't autofocus on them. That makes them less capable of doing all the things you want to do.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 3:33 PM   #20

Went to Fry's today and played with the cameras again. I wish the guys that worked there were more knowledgeable about their products, but what do you expect for big box retail.

They only had the T2i out, I'm assuming its almost identical to its brother the T1i. I like the fact you can add a battery grip.

D90 is a nice camera, but out of my budget range. Unless it does something special, I'm nixing this camera out of my research.

Pentax KX was nice as well. No battery grip =( Question though on its viewfinder. I noticed it did not have the red blinky lights for auto focus. How big or small of a factor is this? What are the benefits of having the blinky lights?