Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 19, 2010, 2:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighExp View Post
Action shots are pretty big on my list of priorities. I have a lot of nephews and nieces that are coming to age where they are playing sports. Basketball and tennis right now, but that can all change. I want to get those "frozen" shots if thats what you call them.
Quote:
Pentax KX was nice as well. No battery grip =( Question though on its viewfinder. I noticed it did not have the red blinky lights for auto focus. How big or small of a factor is this? What are the benefits of having the blinky lights?
The Pentax K-x is a nice camera. I think I would be annoyed at not having the focus confirmation lights, but others don't seem to mind.

But once again, The K-x won't be as good at action as the Canon T1i, T2i and Nikon D90 are. And Pentax doesn't have any lenses that are apporpriate for shooting action indoors (i.e.: basketball, etc.)

I think you've narrowed your choices down to the T1i. Anything else will cost more than you want to spend, or won't do what you want.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 2:56 PM   #22

Thanks TCav and everyone else....

Now off to shop for a deal. Anyone see the t1i dropping in price anytime soon? Maybe after supply of the t2i stabilizes?
HighExp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 3:39 PM   #23

You do have auto focus conformation, that is what the green octagon on the lower right of the VF tells you. You do not know which point it is using.

You can use the sigma 70-200mm 2.8 HSM lens, it is design for action and match with a camera with 6400iso it will be brighten enough to get indoor action shots. You will not have the as large as a prime lens option.

But the AF on the T1i is a better system. There is less of a safety net as the pentax. No menus and art filter for a point and shooter to fall back on when learning.

You will most likely not see much movement on the price down on the T1i to soon. Maybe October you will see it start going on sale again.

On the af point thing it really depend on the shooter. I like picking my points, as sometime the camera decided to af on some else then what I want it to focus on, especially on off center shots. In these cases it is not a big issue. As you know which point it is focusing on. Once you see the green octagon go solid green you know that the camera locked on that point.

If you prefer the camera to pick the point for you, then it is a concern. You will not know where it is focusing on. But with the action shots. you general want to pan so you want to pick your own point.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 25, 2010 at 9:54 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 6:50 PM   #24

The focus confirmation LED lights in the are indeed missing from the Kx's viewfinder. I would much rather have the Nikon D-5000.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 9:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
You can use the sigma 70-200mm 2.8 HSM lens, it is design for action and match with a camera with 6400iso it will be brighten enough to get indoor action shots. You will not have the as large as a prime lens option.

But the AF on the T1i is a better system. ...
Another option for indoor sports would be the 50-150/2.8. It'd be easier to handle in a crowd. But it would still be up to the body to focus it, and that's where the Canon shines.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:19 PM   #26

Quote:

On the af point thing it really depend on the shooter. I like picking my points, as sometime the camera decided to af on some else then what I want it to focus on, especially on off center shots. In these cases it is not a big issue. As you know which point it is focusing on. Once you see the green octagon go solid green you know that the camera locked on that point.

If you prefer the camera to pick the point for you, then it is a concern. You will not know where it is focusing on. But with the action shots. you general want to pan so you want to pick your own point.

As for picking AF points is more a shooter style feature? For example, if i want to highlight the right side of the photo, I would select the right side AF point to focus correct?

This question isn't camera specific, more to just understand the AF point system....
Old Mar 20, 2010, 12:05 AM   #27

highexp-

Knowing where the camera is actually focusing is very important.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 7:34 AM   #28

Yes, you are correct. If you want to off center shots, you would choose the af point on the right if that is the side you want the focus to be.

You can do this with all dslr. So for someone that picks their own point, you still get AF lock conformation with the green indicator on the lower right side in the view finder.

When using auto AF point it would be good to know when the camera is looking. But sometimes, I found that the AF points are not looking at what I want. So I use manual points more.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 4:49 AM   #29

Quote:
What are the typical warranties on refurbs? 90 days or 1 year like retail box?
All refurbished units sold by Adorama Camera are factory refurbished by the manufacturer, for example, some Canon cameras are refurbed at their manufacturing plant in Newport News, VA.; they can have simply been pulled from the production line if something appears faulty, or if they haven't passed the final inspection.
The room that houses Canonís entire refurb process is said to be completely dust-free, and with every employee working in there being required to wear special booties. The units come into Adorama in sealed boxes, which are not subsequently opened or checked by Adorama employees - therefore we cannot tell you the actuation count.

Most of the time it is a very minor issue that needs correcting, nevertheless, once a unit is pulled from the normal flow of production, it gets flagged as a refurbished model, so you may get a unit straight from the factory that has never been used.

A refurb may also be an ex-store demo, possibly used in field tests or sales displays, or it may have been ordered in error and returned to the retailer (who can't then sell it as 'new' so it has to be sent back to the manufacturer for refurbishment).

You can be sure that all refurbished items will have been checked over by the manufacturer by hand, inspected very thoroughly, diagnosed, and calibrated by experienced technicians, and could therefore turn out to be more dependable than a new item - which will only have been checked by a process of systematic quality control protocol (ie by random sampling as it comes off the conveyor belt).

In addition, Refurbs come into us with the firmware updates and latest fixes which were carried out at whatever stage it was at when we took delivery. If you need additional firmware updates you can download them, but for any hardware fixes the unit would have to be sent to Canon.
[By the way, if you send a camera (any camera) to Canon for any hardware work, they will always update the firmware].

All Canon refurbished products from Adorama come with a 1 year return-to-Adorama warranty; the warranty we give covers anything the manufacturers warranty covers for a new unit, including shutter defects. If a customer returns a unit, we send it to Canon, and replace the unit; if we don't have any in stock, you can either wait for a new delivery, or take a refund.

All other refurb units come with a 90-day return-to-manufacturer warranty.

I hope this helps, but if you need anything else, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

HelenOster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 6:04 AM   #30

Quote:
These lenses are for different situations? Assuming the 50 is for lowlight portraits?

85 for low light sports?

BTW, Thanks Helen for stopping by and answering my question...