Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:12 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenOster View Post
... for example, some Canon cameras are refurbed at their manufacturing plant in Newport News, VA.; they can have simply been pulled from the production line if something appears faulty, ...

So if a camera is pulled from a production line in Japan, Canon sends it to Newport News to be refurbished?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:26 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighExp View Post
These lenses are for different situations? Assuming the 50 is for lowlight portraits?

85 for low light sports?
Sort of.

In the days of 35mm film photography, the convention was that portrait lenses shouldn't be so long that the subject was far away from the camera, and it shouldn't be so short that the perspective is distorted. It was generally accepted that focal lengths from 85mm to 135mm gave the most flattering perspective, and 105mm was preferred.

On a Canon APS-C camera body, the same flattering perspective is obtained with lenses whose focal lengths are from 53mm to 84mm, that puts both the 50/1.8 and the 85/1.8 just barely outside the range that's generally accepted as best.

But a portrait lens is the one you use to take portraits. Some people prefer longer lenses and some prefer shorter lenses. Shorter lenses are better for couples portraits and for envieronmental portraits, but longer lenses are better for sports. Either will hold an important place in your photographic arsenal, depending on what you like to do. The choice is yours. Conventions are good, but sometimes being unconventional is good too.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:44 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighExp View Post
These lenses are for different situations? Assuming the 50 is for lowlight portraits?

85 for low light sports?

BTW, Thanks Helen for stopping by and answering my question...
85mm would be for face shot, and indoor sports like basket ball.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:55 AM   #34

The 85 can be used for some indoor sports like basketball or volleyball as long as you're on the baseline for basketball and right on the edge of the court for volleyball. It has a working range of about 25 feet so if you're up in the stands you'll be too far away for sharp results. For wrestling it can be used but it's a bit frustrating - too tight for action close to you and too short for action on the other side of the mat.

It's too short for most swimming or hockey shots and way too short for any outdoor low light shots. Again, 25 feet range.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:15 AM   #35
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
85mm would be for face shot, and indoor sports like basket ball.
That is really putting this lens too much into a specific 'box'. Sure if you shoot from a normal distance then it is quite tight so you will get a face shot, but moving back will open a whole world of opportunities with this lens.

These were taken with the 85mm a few years ago on a 30D. Really not keen on my old PP skills but it shows the possibilities.

This was on a longer lens at 125mm, using the reach to pull a subject in but still not go tight.

Or you can back right up and use long(ish) glass for something like this, taken at 120mm.

So I would say, don't limit your glass to specific things, think outside of the box and enter a different world that you wouldn't usually if you just use lens A for this sort of shot and lens B for this.

As a last example, I wouldn't usually think of using 175mm for a sunset, but it worked and gave a totally different perspective to what I would usually have gone for.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:53 AM   #36

50 1.8 is a good, all around lens, it is well worth that 120 or 140 dollars, you will use it ALOT, so its just a good beginning investment.

And the 85 1.8 does miracles indoors, and it has the 70-200 beat speed wise, and its at a range which is convient for indoor sports such as basketball, because when i shoot indoors, i never, or almost never go to 200 on my sigma, thus i would rather have the speed of the 85 1.8 over the range of the 70-200.
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:48 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjunkiee View Post
50 1.8 is a good, all around lens, it is well worth that 120 or 140 dollars, you will use it ALOT, so its just a good beginning investment.
It's still a good investment, even if you don't use it a lot.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:57 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjunkiee View Post

And the 85 1.8 does miracles indoors, and it has the 70-200 beat speed wise, and its at a range which is convient for indoor sports such as basketball, because when i shoot indoors, i never, or almost never go to 200 on my sigma, thus i would rather have the speed of the 85 1.8 over the range of the 70-200.
I'm not sure I concur with all of the above. I would NEVER suggest buying both 50mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8 for instance. Not at the same time. Buy whichever more closely fits your needs right now but not both. For example, if we're in the canon camp and not nikon there's a very big difference in sharpness, focus performance and bokeh between these two lenses. If you have the 85 and use it, it can be tough to go back and try to use the 50. I have both and haven't touched my 50mm 1.8 in two and a half years. The 50mm 1.8 is a nice inexpensive lens if you can't afford the 85 or 50mm 1.4 or 50mm 1.2

Now - as to basketball - in the canon camp at least, the 85mm is going to focus faster than a sigma 70-200 2.8. I had both - I sold the sigma and now shoot with a canon 70-200 2.8 (non IS). It's faster to focus than the sigma in low light. BUT, without question, the deciding factor for me is ISO performance not focus speed in the lenses here. If you are comfortable with the ISO 3200-6400 performance of your Canon DSLR then the 70-200 2.8 is a MUCH better tool for indoor sports. The 85 is great but very limiting in the types of shots you can take. It's tight when action is close and you don't get much reach with it (about 25 feet). But you need to be able to shoot at ISO 3200-6400 to get good shost at 2.8.

so it's a bit more complicated than I think pbjunkee has stated.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:37 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
That is really putting this lens too much into a specific 'box'. Sure if you shoot from a normal distance then it is quite tight so you will get a face shot, but moving back will open a whole world of opportunities with this lens.

These were taken with the 85mm a few years ago on a 30D. Really not keen on my old PP skills but it shows the possibilities.

This was on a longer lens at 125mm, using the reach to pull a subject in but still not go tight.

Or you can back right up and use long(ish) glass for something like this, taken at 120mm.

So I would say, don't limit your glass to specific things, think outside of the box and enter a different world that you wouldn't usually if you just use lens A for this sort of shot and lens B for this.

As a last example, I wouldn't usually think of using 175mm for a sunset, but it worked and gave a totally different perspective to what I would usually have gone for.
Mark,

the ef 85mm is my favorite lens, I use it for allot of different things. Just wanted to put out some basic uses.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:58 AM   #40

Mark1616, I love that first shot of the two kids! That was so perfect.
As to the topic, I have the EF85 as well and it is fun (note I am a rank newbe who just got a fancy newfangled DSLR) I took some shots of my daughter in Gymnastics class and I like the shots better than the ones I took with my 70-200F4 (niether shots will win awards). I am now plotting to switch out my F4 for the 70-200F2.8. This gets expensive if you don't fully understand your needs.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote