Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:05 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by waoldrifleman View Post
I am now plotting to switch out my F4 for the 70-200F2.8. This gets expensive if you don't fully understand your needs.
It's expensive either way But you're absolutely right - it's MORE expensive when you don't understand your needs OR when you follow poor advice. The internet is a great place to learn about photography. But it's tough to know who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't. Sports shooting especially is very difficult. I'd say a good 75% of the people who feel free to give advice on what gear to use for it don't shoot sports themselves. They just think they know what they're talking about. And another 20% do so very poorly. The key is to look for PHOTOS - they're the best way to tell if the photographer knows what they're talking about. That's why people like Mark share his RELEVANT photos - they give you a good idea of his skill. Be very wary of people telling you what to buy if they don't have any photos demonstrating their experience in what you want to shoot.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:11 PM   #42
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
That's why people like Mark share his RELEVANT photos - they give you a good idea of his skill.
Trying to work out if that was a compliment or if you were saying my photos are weak and have little skill LOL.....
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:14 PM   #43
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Mark,

the ef 85mm is my favorite lens, I use it for allot of different things. Just wanted to put out some basic uses.
No problem, I just didn't want someone to think it was limited.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:16 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Trying to work out if that was a compliment or if you were saying my photos are weak and have little skill LOL.....
LOL. It is a compliment. But for others let me explain - let's say someone wants advice on a lens for gymnastics. It's not relevant for me to show a shot of a portrait or a kid playing soccer outdoors. A relevant photo is one taken of low light action - and the type of action you might see in gymnastics. So, if I post a shot of a kid in choir - that's really not relevant either. Sure it's low light but the subject isn't moving really.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:18 PM   #45
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waoldrifleman View Post
Mark1616, I love that first shot of the two kids! That was so perfect.
As to the topic, I have the EF85 as well and it is fun (note I am a rank newbe who just got a fancy newfangled DSLR) I took some shots of my daughter in Gymnastics class and I like the shots better than the ones I took with my 70-200F4 (niether shots will win awards). I am now plotting to switch out my F4 for the 70-200F2.8. This gets expensive if you don't fully understand your needs.
Thanks, it was very cute, they are brother and sister...... it wasn't until I got back did I notice that it looked like he was elbowing her in the face which was a bit of a shame, but too late to do anything about it.

As for choosing the glass just don't rush, ensure you know your needs and expectations so you don't spend a lot of cash in the wrong place. Obviously we are all happy to help.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:25 PM   #46

Quote:
Thanks, it was very cute, they are brother and sister...... it wasn't until I got back did I notice that it looked like he was elbowing her in the face which was a bit of a shame, but too late to do anything about it.

As for choosing the glass just don't rush, ensure you know your needs and expectations so you don't spend a lot of cash in the wrong place. Obviously we are all happy to help.
No problem on waiting to spend money, at this point there is none left to spend, so I have time to figure it out. On the Elbow that was part of the perfect part. I know if my two are posing that way, one of them will be doing the exact same thing, not what the parents want and are paying for, but as a parent taking the picture, what I expect them to be doing.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:01 PM   #47

Quote:
Great replies! As for glass, which route should I go? Get the 50 first or 85? I'm thinking 50 first.

As for warranty, do I have to purchase from an authorized seller or can I buy from ebay and still have a warranty as long as I fill out the card?
HighExp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:10 PM   #48
Super Moderator

It's a difficult choice, as different shooting styles and situations will call for different lenses. I would probably go with the 50 to start with as generally you can use it more, but like I say we all shoot differently.

I take it you are also getting a standard zoom lens as well? What about the flash?
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:15 PM   #49

If you are getting it in the US, you will need to send a copy of the original sales receipts to canon for warranty work. If it is a authorized canon dealer on ebay. Then I would ask them to send you an invoice for the camera.

On the 85mm vs the 50mm. The 50mm 1.8 is only 90-100 dollars. The 50mm 1.4 is about 350 but a much nicer and faster AF lens also with the USM. But the bang for the buck is the 50mm 1.8, but it has some focus issues in really low light.

The 85mm has the same build quality as the 50mm 1.4. It is a excellent lens if you have a bit more working space. It is actually my favorite walk around lens, I use it more then my zooms.

With the 50mm 1.8 you can see if prime shooting is for you. And if it is something you like you can move up, but if it is not to your liking it is not that big of an investment. Some do not like the constraint of a fix focal length.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:49 PM   #50

[QUOTE=pbjunkiee;1068736]50 1.8 is a good, all around lens, it is well worth that 120 or 140 dollars, you will use it ALOT, so its just a good beginning investment.

Maybe, maybe not. I own the lens, and can't remember the last time I used it. I've been able to shoot basketball with a sigma 50-150 (in a newer well lit gym), and it's too long for general indoor use. Yes it's cheap and worth owning if you have $100 bucks to burn. But you could get a lot of other items that may be more useful, depending on your shooting style. For general use, I think you're better off with the flexibility of the kit zoom and spending $200 on the SB600 flash.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote