Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:04 AM   #61

Thanks again for the prompt responses....only if all forums were like this...Fast and Newb friendly...

As for the warranty, I'm gonna hold off. Based on what I've read, I have 30 days to decide.

Off to accessories...

Flashes - 430ex II, Metz 48, Nissin 621, etc
I like the Metz and Nissin models primarily because they have the bounce card built in. Just one less thing to think to pack in my bag. Any other pros/cons, I should be aware of? All three are in my budget, so thats not an issue.

SDHC card / reader - I don't know if i'm allowed to post links to sites. But newegg has a Transend 8gb class 6 w/ reader for 22 bucks. Is there a big difference in class 6 and class 10? differences in card readers? I don't like the multicard ones because of the additional drive letters and I do not have any other cards other SD.

Tripod
Can you put me in the right direction to research this topic? I see Manfrotto is the king, there are limited resources from what I have searched to find what combo is going to fit my needs. Any other brands I should be looking into?

Rocketblower - On order...Any other cleaning supplies?

Software - Adobe is probably on the list. Any other software I should be looking into?
Any other accessories that you may recommend?

Anything I miss? Any other accessories are must haves or I should consider?
HighExp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:21 AM   #62

I use the Metz, it is just as good as the 430 a bit cheaper, but most range between the 3. The nissin seems like a decent flash if you are looking to save more.

Get at least a class 6, I have a delkin 16gb card, 42 dollars form adorama. But you can get a class 10 transcend 16gb at newegg for 50 bucks. If you do shoot and video it will eat up the card, so you want at least a 8gb. I have burst with the class 6, I do not run into buffer lag till about 8 sec. If you need more speed, get the class 10 transcend.

If you do not want to pay top dollar for a manfrotto, a cullmann magnaset 519 or 525 works great with the t1i, I have a 519. Small enough to pack in my suitcase when I check in luggage. And you can invert the head to make it even more compact. Also I like the slik pro series, uses to use them. They too are excellent tripod and will not cost a arm and a leg. Do not go to cheap with the tripod. The lighter ones are not stable for a dslr.

Software, since I am a mac user, I am currently using Aperture 3

Bag, something from lowepro, tamrac, crumpler, kata are recommend.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 25, 2010 at 10:43 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:39 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighExp View Post
...Rocketblower - On order...Any other cleaning supplies?
I have a lens cleaning cloth that's 18% gray, so I can use it to set a custom white balance. It's come in handy for that on more than one occassion.

Quote:
Software - Adobe is probably on the list. Any other software I should be looking into?
Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and Photoshop Elements are all avalable as trial downloads, as are Ulead (Corel's) PhotoImpact and ArcSoft's PhotoImpression, among others.

Quote:
Any other accessories that you may recommend?

Anything I miss? Any other accessories are must haves or I should consider?
Extra battery? (batteries?) Extra charger?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:49 AM   #64

well I use circular polarizer allot. It help bring out the blue of the sky when uses properly.

Check out steve's knowledge center and www.dslrtips.com the have youtube video workshops that are useful to new dslr owners.

PS

Optech neoprene strap any model, the one canon gives you is not comfortable.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 2:51 AM   #65

Default Update

More of an update for myself as well as to see if I'm purchasing quality products....

Camera - T1i from Adorama ... Bought refurbished on ebay with bing cashback, ebay bucks, and mrrebates cashback. $530 shipped.

Flash - Opting for 430ex II. Waiting for a good deal to come around.

Battery grip - Still up in the air, waiting till I get the camera. Looking at Jenis, Opteka, Phottix aftermarkets as well as the BG-E5

Bag - Buying Crumpler 6 Million Dollar home primarily for the room to grow. Might be big for the gear I'll have now, but a couple lenses and the grip, it should be a good bag.

Hoods - Looking on ebay...any particular sellers too look for?

Cleaner - Gittios Rocket Blower Cleaning Kit, comes with blower, fluid, qtips, etc. Anything else.

Lenses - 50mm 1.8 for indoor shooting. Going to assess my needs as I learn.

Books / Recommended Learning -
  • www.dslrtips.com viewing the video walkthroughs
  • "Understanding Exposure" book by Bryan Peterson - Good read, not as much tech verbiage versus other books I've seen
  • Any other recommended books or learning materials
Missing anything?

Thanks
Old Mar 31, 2010, 2:59 AM   #66

I get them form a US seller or hong kong seller. Just make sure the have a 98+% rating and you should do fine on the hood. I have uses couple of different ones. dslrbaby and roxsen are couple off the top of my head.
books magic lantern are good, dummies also has one for the t1i. I go with the lantern
I have the 5 and 6 million. If you want to see the difference in size, go to youtube there are couple of video reviews from on guy on the 5,6 and 7

Great deal on the referb. Did you get teh 2 lens kit or one lens kit. If the 2 lens kit. You got a killer deal.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 31, 2010 at 8:16 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 7:00 AM   #67

For shooting indoors under artificial light, you should get used to setting a custom white balance. I use an 18% gray lens cleaning cloth like this one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:36 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
For shooting indoors under artificial light, you should get used to setting a custom white balance. I use an 18% gray lens cleaning cloth like this one.
Check...Ordered one...
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:37 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I get them form a US seller or hong kong seller. Just make sure the have a 98+% rating and you should do fine on the hood. I have uses couple of different ones. dslrbaby and roxsen are couple off the top of my head.
books magic lantern are good, dummies also has one for the t1i. I go with the lantern
I have the 5 and 6 million. If you want to see the difference in size, go to youtube there are couple of video reviews from on guy on the 5,6 and 7

Great deal on the referb. Did you get teh 2 lens kit or one lens kit. If the 2 lens kit. You got a killer deal.
Just the 1 lens kit...Did not have a refurbed 2 lens kit.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:41 AM   #70

They do sell the referb 55-250 my it self if you were interested. Some one else posted about which lens to buy, and it was between a referb 55-250 and 70-300.