Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 18, 2010, 6:16 PM   #1

Default Spend my money -- dSLR Newbie

Hello all,
I am so happy to have found this forum. From just the few posts I have read, everyone seems to be very friendly and helpful. Hope that is the case with my question. Which dSLR for me?

I have researched and now I am just frustrated with the options. I keep running into bias opinions on what camera system is better. From what I gather, any camera will work. Ultimately, it will be ME taking the photo and using the camera as a tool. With that being said, I am just trying to find the best camera for my budget and shooting needs.

A warning though, I am a newbie with dSLR.

My current budget is $1000 for camera with decent lenses and $300 for accessories such as bags, memory cards, batteries, etc. I am looking to buy new and I do not want to buy used. I understand that I could save money on a body and spend the rest of my budget on lenses and accessories, but with something like a dSLR, which I do not know much about internally and what to look for, I feel more comfortable buying new.

Features-wise, I am looking to shoot stills. I have 1 baptism, 3 weddings, 2 graduations, and other random family events that I want to walk away from with some good photos. From what I have learned, these types of situations will require a good low light camera.

I am also looking to do some outdoor shots as well; landscapes, sunsets, etc. I'm pretty sure any camera will do this well.

Action shots are pretty big on my list of priorities. I have a lot of nephews and nieces that are coming to age where they are playing sports. Basketball and tennis right now, but that can all change. I want to get those "frozen" shots if thats what you call them.

Video is the LEAST of my priorities, while it would be nice to have on the camera to grow with. If the camera for me does not have video, so be it.

Megapixels are not a big deal for me, for I do not see myself printing anything bigger that 8x10 pictures.

Accessories, what do you recommend for my budget? I know for sure, I am going to need a tripod. Flashes? Battery grips?

So now I turn it over to you guys and gals to help me spend my money, ha. I definitely want to get the most for my money currently. I have gone to some stores to get a feel for the cameras and to be honest, being a newbie, they all feel physically good for me. What should I be looking for? I looked at the Nikon D5000/D3000/D90, Canon XS/XSI/T1I/T2I, Pentax K7/KX.

I hope I covered everything, but if not please let me know. I am also open to other suggestions from your experiences in the field of photo. Am I going about this the wrong way? What would you do differently if you just started photography, etc?
HighExp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2010, 6:54 PM   #2

Lucky,

Looks like you are looking for something with high iso capabilites.

I would recomend buying a Nikon D90 body by itself, and have about 600 for a great lens or two.
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 7:06 PM   #3

save some money go with the T1i or pentax K-x. But are great for low light. Canon with 2 lens kit will be slightly under your budget, and have the best AF system on the market. You can get the K-x with the 2 lens kit for 700, and put the rest toward a flash or a 50mm 1.4 prime. It will give you even better low light performance with a fast prime.

Pretty much all the camera list will do what you want. But I would rather get the T1i, or K-x over the T2i and K7 as the money can be used for things that will impact your shooting more like lenses and flash. And there is not a great difference in performance between their siblings really.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 7:08 PM   #4

highexp-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

My suggestion for an excellent beginning point in the DSLR game is the Nikon D-3000 camera. Why, I am sure you might be wondering. Because it is a DSLR that is designed for the transitioning P+S user, because it has a very useful built-in Guide that makes taking photos very simple indeed. The Guide gives suggestions and explain exactly,step by step what are your options and what you should do.

The Nikon D-3000 is compact, almost exactly the size of the Canon XSi DSLR camera. My though was that the Guide would offer you a "clear assist."

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 7:11 PM   #5

For the most part, you're correct that any dSLR will do most of those things well. But for the baptism, weddings, and other important indoor family gatherings, you should use a flash. Since I'm a big fan of available light, it pains me to say it, but when others are depending on you, use a flash. And most importantly, learn how to use it.

But with a flash, you don't necessarily need a good low light camera, since you bring good light with you.

But for baskekball, you will need a good low light camera ... and a good AF system.

Of the cameras you mentioned, the only cameras that meet those criteria are the Canon T1i and T2i and the Nikon D90. The Nikon D5000 and D3000 and the Pentaxs might qualify, but another thing you'll need for basketball is a large aperture medium telephoto lens. Pentax doesn't have one that's appropriate, and Nikon's won't autofocus on their D3000 and D5000.

Either the T2i or the D90 with a kit lens and a flash will blow your budget, so that leaves the T1i.

Later, you can get an 85/1.8 for indoor sports and a reasonably fast telephoto zoom for the Tennis and the graduation (Total of about another $1,000), but the body, kit lens and external flash for about $1,000, will get you started.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 7:20 PM   #6

See thats why i recomended the 90, so he would be able to use the 85, and 50 1.8's with AF.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 7:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjunkiee View Post
See thats why i recomended the 90, so he would be able to use the 85, and 50 1.8's with AF.
I agree. The D90 is a fine camera. But it with a kit lens and an external flash is way over his budget. And I think that's where the need is most pressing.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 7:50 PM   #8

Let the Nissan Di 622 cover the external flash duties. It is well made and priced well, check B&H.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 7:51 PM   #9

Yes, they have them for canon and nikon
Old Mar 18, 2010, 8:05 PM   #10

i know you said you didnt want used, but its from a reliable source, that has quailty checked it, not some guy off of ebay.

http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20377291.html

http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20379847.html

http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20378933.html