Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:32 AM   #11

[QUOTE=TCav;1067294]...If the lenses you have use the EF Mount instead of the previous manual focus FD breech-lock lens mount, .../QUOTE]

The FD lenses actually came in two mount systems: breech-lock and non-breech lock (newer FDs, which are smaller and lighter). They are excellent lenses. Since I've got into the m4/3, I have been buying old glasses and currently have 3 FDs: 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4 and 135mm f3.5. They not only work beautifully with my G1/EP1 but some are going for peanuts compared to the new digital lenses. Yes, they are all MF but that's part of the fun in using them.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 8:06 PM   #12

Tullio,
Do these FD lenses you have work without an adapter on your m4/3s cameras? How is the image quality compared to newer lenses? Would they work on an Olympus E-520 or E-620 or any other DSLRs? I know they are manual focus lenses but I used to use them years ago and it was ok. I don't think I would use these as my primary lens but they might be nice to use occasionally.
Thanks.
Andrea
calmmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 8:26 PM   #13
Administrator

Andrea:

You'd need an adapter. But, because the 4/3's type dSLR models have a bit different design, they usually don't need to use corrective optics (which can degrade image quality) with most MF lenses.

But, sensors are even smaller with Olympus dSLR models, so you'll have an even narrower angle of view for a given focal length lens than you would on a camera with an APS-C size sensor. So, you need to multiply the focal length by 2x to see how angle of view compares. IOW, if you mounted something like a 28-80mm lens on an Olympus dSLR model, you'd get the same angle of view you'd have using a 56-160mm lens on a 35mm camera. If you want a narrower angle of view, that can be a good thing. If you don't (because you can't always back up to fit what you want to into the frame), that may be a bad thing. So, you'll probably want to supplement any MF lenses you use with wider lenses if you go that route.

Tullio can probably tell you what adapter he's using. You can find adapters for a lot of different lens types if you look around. Note that I am seeing both FD lens to Micro 4/3 body and FD to 4/3 body adapters with a quick google search for them. Interestingly, I'm seeing more adapters for Micro 4/3 than I am for 4/3 bodies right now at some dealers though (even though Micro 4/3 bodies are newer).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 8:31 PM   #14

There are over 600 lenses that you can use on m4/3. Many different 3rd party adapter for different brand lens with MF.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 8:39 PM   #15

The short answer is this: no, Canon EF lenses cannot be used on the Olympus E-520 or the E-620 cameras. Adapter for FD lens so that they can adapt to other cameras are available, but you will not have either auto focus, auto exposure.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 9:05 PM   #16
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Andrea:

. Interestingly, I'm seeing more adapters for Micro 4/3 than I am for 4/3 bodies right now at some dealers though (even though Micro 4/3 bodies are newer).
the short flang distance on the mirrorless cameras makes them pretty much compatible with anything ever made.

(the only hangup is the aperture control for lenses like canon ef)
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 9:34 PM   #17
Administrator

That makes sense. But, I'm still surprised at the number of adapters I'm seeing available for them already, as new as that lens mount is.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 9:43 PM   #18
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
That makes sense. But, I'm still surprised at the number of adapters I'm seeing available for them already, as new as that lens mount is.
yes those companies jumped on that bandwagon quickly.

there are even a number of adapters available for the Samsung NX10 already.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 1:11 AM   #19

The m4/3 is w/o a doubt the most versatile system in terms of lens compatibility. Just about any lens ever made can be used on a m4/3 camera (with the proper adapter, of course). Even TV lenses and the Pentax 110 lenses can be used. Of course some lenses will produce better results than others but overall they all perform quite well. The Canon FD series is probably one of the most popular due to its excellent price/performance. But, there are hundreds of lens brands/mounts to choose from. Ever since I bought my G1,I've come across some excellent lenses I had never heard of before (and I paid less that $15/each for them on eBay). Among my favorites are the Chinon 50mm Pentax mount (f1.7 and f1.9 with the f1.7 being my favorite), Chinon 35-70mm (Pentax mount), Osawa 135mm f2.8 (Pentax mount), Kiron 24mm f2.0 (Pentax mount). These lenses were new to me and they surprised me in a very positive way. I also have some Canon FD lenses, which are excellent.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 8:41 AM   #20

Tullio -
It is great to hear the FD to m4/3 conversion works "great" on your G1. It is understandable that the alters (lengthens) the effective focal length as the original adapter did as it added space along the focal plane, and now add the m4/3 conversion factor. One thing that has not been addressed, other than in the bobadkins link earlier, the converter without optics, while it would fit on the camera and 'work' that focal length extension kept it from focusing to infinity. The optics were what corrected that shortcoming, but they were limited to 200mm and larger primes and some zooms as they had the space to accomodate the additional optics. The most popular primes, 28, 50, 135 need not apply.

The question is, with the optic-free converter do all lens now focus to infinity, or are they limited to shorter ranges.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote