Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 19, 2010, 4:48 PM   #11

Thankyou for the replies.
I am rather keen on the Cannon and the Nikon cameras. Are these the models you suggested?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D5000-...9033795&sr=1-5

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Digita...cmu_pg__header

cant seem to find the Pentax model.
Countryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 4:54 PM   #12

I have just found out that my brothers camera is a Nikon D40, which I believe is now discontinued.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D40-Zo...9035431&sr=8-1

Would the Nikon D3000 be a desirable camera for what I want?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D3000-...9035431&sr=8-1

Thanks
Old Mar 19, 2010, 5:15 PM   #13

Here is the pentax,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pentax-K-x-D...9036720&sr=8-1

Yes the D40 has by discontinued.

The D3000 is not as good as the other cameras listed. It has the same issue with prime lenses as the d5000.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 5:16 PM   #14

I would suggest going to a store and playing with them. See how they feel, location of controls etc.

Assuming there is no difference in feel, I would tend to to lean towards the D5000. It is newer, released 4/09 while the 450D was released 1/08 and those 16 months make a big difference in features. I think the 450D replacement, the 500D was released about about the same time as the D5000 and is probably more comparable. One the 5000D vs the 450D, while both are good cameras, the newer 5000D added HD video, 11 point focus with 3D tracking, swivel LCD monitor (slightly smaller 2.7 vs 3 but same pixels), and greater low light sensitivity. Some will point out that cant use older lens, but you don't have older lens locking you into one system or another, and a wide variety of fully functional lens are available where it is a non-issue.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 5:22 PM   #15

with the 11 point vs 9 point it is a marketing thing. Canon has the better AF system with just 9 point vs nikon with the 11 point. The 500D uses a 9 point system and it is still faster then the nikon d5000.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 19, 2010 at 5:24 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 7:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Canon has the better AF system with just 9 point vs nikon with the 11 point. The 500D uses a 9 point system and it is still faster then the nikon d5000.
I've seen this stated on several different threads and I'm calling BS.

While agreeing that 9 vs 11 is immaterial...but faster?

1. I've never ever seen that as an issue address in ANY review. It is even rare that I see focusing speed addressed at all.

2. Googled 5000D vs 500d and found many direct comparisons, none of which casually referenced or formally tested focusing speed. One did note the focusing noise was picked up on Canons video microphone, while none noted that on the Nikon.

3. While unscientific, I went in to Best Buy and played with both models. Set up both by focuing to the same point on a nearby display, then aimed both at the same point on the back wall. Both poped into focus virtually instantly in less than a second. Repeated the senario several time with matching random focus points with the same results. Neither stood out. I didn't thing to pay attention to the noise difference of the Nikon Silent Motor, vs the Canon AF Servo.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 8:01 PM   #17
Super Moderator

we are not talking the differences in focusing some static object. any dslr can do that just fine

the differences are in the realm of sports and action. and both nikon/canon do better than the competition within the price range. however, the subjective word on the street from people that actually shoot sports is the canon's (at this price range) is better.

that changes as you move up the food chain so to speak.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 6:29 AM   #18

So let me see if I understand this...
The blanket statement "The 500D uses a 9 point system and it is still faster then the nikon d5000" is true only in a very specialized set of circumstances involving sports and action. Plus it is true, not by any research quantifying differences, but by subjective groupthink opinion.

Now, lets apply the blanket statement to the OP's needs and will see, even if true, it doesn't apply and becomes grossly misleading. The OP's stated need was for architechural and landscape photography. When asked about action shots, he specifically replied that he primarily takes stills.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 7:28 AM   #19

It does apply as the 500D does focus faster with anything of actions. Also, in low light condition. The canon system can get a AF lock where a d5000 can not, and I tested this first hand.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 8:17 AM   #20

Thank you for the information, helps a lot.

Someone mentioned to me about the Panasonic Lumix G1, how does this camera compare to the original DSLR?

Thanks