Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 20, 2010, 8:34 AM   #21

The G1 and G2 are EVIL camera, they are very good camera. They have electronic view finders. The take really nice photo, but like all m4/3 ad 4/3 camera, are limited in their iso. Not the greatest for low light shooting. Also the panasonic lenses are very expensive, but excellent quality. They can olympus m4/3 lenses and some of the olympus 4/3 lenses with the adapter.

These camera are not ideal for action shooting, a dslr has a better AF system for action.

If hdr is a route you thing you may want to go. The panasonic is a good choice. It is small and light weight also. But an expensive system. The G2 is suppose to be replacing the G1. So the price of the G1 should come down a bit.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 2:38 PM   #22

Today I went to look at the Nikon D5000 and the Canon 450D AND 500D. The Canon fitted nicely in the hand but wasn’t so keen of the format on screen. But found that the Nikon had a clearer layout and user friendly format.
Rather keen in the Nikon now!
Countryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 5:42 PM   #23

The canon 500D has a higher resolution screen, so if you want to check the photos, it is better for that. The flip out screen of the d5000 is nice. If you shoot in live view it can come in handy. But if you were really interested in live view shooting. Both canon and nikon fall behind sony in that department. Sony has the best live view shooting on the market.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 7:53 AM   #24

Thanks for all the help so far.

Its between the Nikon D5000 or the Canon EOS 500D. both at a very similar price.
any advice on choosing between the two?

Phil
Countryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 9:02 AM   #25

I have the 500D, and it is a bit better AF system. Also I shoot allot of primes. And the canon offers both inexpensive entry level grade and more expensive mid level grade primes that will work for the camera's. With 3rd party lenses, the canon gives you the most largest lens selection on the market. The canon has a way higher level of resolution on the lcd 920,000. So it is very good for reviewing your shots to see if everything is okay or weather you need to recompose. Also canon has the second best low light sensor on the "entry level" market, second only to the pentax k-x on this point.

On the image Quality is equal between the 2 camera. HD te canon offers a 1080 option, but it is hinder by 20fps. Both shot 720. But if you where going for HD, the 550 would be a better option as you can deploy a off camera mic so you do not hear the motor focusing. Neither the 500d or 5000d have that option. Both have plastic body, but I must say after yesterday. The canon body is quite robust. Took a drop on concert when I was swapping lenses and the camera has no ill effect but for a blemish. So they use a very high quality plastic.

The d5000 has the articulation screen with a resolution 270000. It nikon has the best flash system on the market. So if flash photography with a external flash is something you will get into, the nikon is really good in that department. You are limited to lenses that have built in motors. So thing you will want to get some primes, they will be pretty expensive, as you can not use the nice inexpensive 50mm 1.8 for 110 from nikon, or some of the macro lenses and the 85mm. It performs well up to the 6400iso. So it is also good in low light.