Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:28 AM   #1

Default nikon s6000, sony w370, or fuji f80 exr

it's time for an upgrade (i currently have the panasonic tz5) and not sure which one to get: nikon s6000, sony w370, or fuji f80 exr. they all have good features.

i'm looking for a point and shoot with some manual controls. also, something i can use to take pics of my purses to list on etsy (i have to play too much with the images in photoshop with the panasonic right now). also, small enough to keep in my purse (the panasonic is a bit bulky for me).

i'm open to other suggestions, too.

thanks!

Last edited by dottcomm1; Mar 21, 2010 at 11:35 AM.
dottcomm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:12 PM   #2

dottcom1-

You would really be better off with the Panasonic ZR1. It is very small and has both the upgraded OIS and the new processor. It is selling at around $200.

I am concerned by the amount of pixels crammed on the imager in the Sony W-370. And the Sony S-6000 , while it does have a slightly bigger imager, is outdated.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:35 PM   #3

thanks sarah! what do you think about the pana zr3? it's the newer version.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 1:32 PM   #4

dottcomm1-

I actually like the price better and the fact that the ZR1 has 12mp versus the 14mp on the ZR3.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:55 AM   #5

i took the sony out of the equation, but added the panasonic DMC-FH20. any thoughts?
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:30 PM   #6

dottcomm1-

The ZR1 and the FH20 are very much the same camera with the exception that the FH20 has 14mp and the ZR1 has 12mp. There is also a difference in the video format used as well.

The FH20 is not yet on dealer's shelves. When it does arrive it is scheduled to see on Amazon for $188. There are also no professional reviews as yet, so we really do not know the effect of the 14mp imager on the FH20.

On the ZS7 the increase in mp count to 14mp did indeed result in less image quality.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 22, 2010, 2:51 PM   #7

i like the smaller size of the fh20.

with the risk of sounding stupid...why would the increase to 14mp imager produce less image quality?
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:30 PM   #8

dottconn1-

Lesser image quality can result from an increase from 12mp to 14mp due to phenomena called pixel density. To get more pixels on to the exact same size imager, each pixel/photosite has to become physically smaller in size and the pixels must be physically placed closer together. The net result is a reduction of light falling on each individual pixel photosite and setting up a field of electronic interference between the pixels themselves that reduces their efficiency and therefore the image quality as well.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 22, 2010, 4:34 PM   #9

thanks sarah! i did notice you seem to be very fond of the panasonics. a lot of people seem to like the fuji. i have the pana tz5 and i just can't get the stupid camera to produce for me. the zr1 is a bit bigger than i'd like, but i will go to the store this week and check it out.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:56 PM   #10

dottcomm1-

If you don't need a wide angle, the Canon SX-120 is also a possible selection. I have hesitated to mention it as it is physically larger. In terms of physically small, the Canon SD-1200 is another possibility, but it also has no real wide angle and only 3X optical zoom.

It is not so much that I am "Pro-Panasonic," but it is Panasonic is the largest maker of the small cameras you are interested in right now.

Sarah Joyce