Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 24, 2010, 4:25 PM   #11

Default Re viewfinder in D3000

Hi everyone;
do not understand it, but I was logged in was refused to post. I had spend an hour answering everyone that replied so patiently to my question and helped me out , only to find I was not allowed to "quick reply to the post" unless I refresh and sign in. So I signed in again (even though I WAS signed in already) and I lost all my work.

So I make it short this time and say:
Thank you to Jim for the pic of the back of the D3000, it was helpful of you. As well my appologies to have posted two URL,s , I was not aware that this is against the Rule. It won't happen again.

Also thank you to TCav for explaining things to me with much care.
Chato, thank you. And also everyone else I missed.

Mtclimber , I was so glad that you own a D3000 and find it userfriendly. It made me very happy. You were very helpful. I am co-incidentlally looking at a Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/44-5.6D so I feel more confident after your suggestion. You gave me a lot of good feelings about the D3000 as well and agree, the settings are very userfriendly not unlike the settings on my Nikon P3 digi. You gave me confidence , for that I Thank you most sincerely.

Gerlinde
Calendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 4:43 PM   #12

Calendula/Gerlinde-

I am so sorry you had so much of a problem with signing in and posting today.

Yes, I believe that the Nikon D-3000, which has that very useful Guide Mode, along with the Nikon 70-300mm VR lens could work out rather well for you. Please use me as a resource, and I will be here to help you.

I am no Spring Chicken myself, as I have already celebrated my 75th birthday.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 4:51 PM   #13
Administrator

Calendula/Gerlinde

When you log back in again, make sure to check the box labeled "Remember Me". It's right next to where you enter your member name and password.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 6:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calendula View Post
... I am co-incidentlally looking at a Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/44-5.6D so I feel more confident after your suggestion.
The Nikon AF 70-300 D isn't very good, and it won't autofocus on the D3000. Neither is the Nikon AF 70-300 G.

The Nikon AF-S VR 70-300 is a lot better, but it's also about $540. If that's more than you wanted to pay, the Tamron 70-300 Di LD is better than the others and it's less expensive, but it's not stabilized like the VR.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 1:23 PM   #15

Hello 'shutter' friends;

Mt. Climber; thanks again, I will put in my camera order within the next few days. I looked long and hard and studied and searched for many hours. Of course if you know from the beginning what you are looking for, I mean know what you want to use it for, it makes things so much easier too. I will stay with the Nikon D 3000 and
the Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300. I will order it through our son who used to work for Nikon a few years ago and has a friend who still is there. He will get the camaera & lense set for me.

You sound a lot like me, Sarah, welcome to the "Golden Girl Club" ,
and a belated
"Happy, healthy Birthday". I will be celebrating my 73 rd B.D. the end of April too.

Thank you JimC, will check the "Remember Me" box in future, I never really knew what was meant by that or what it really does for you. Now I do.

Thanks DCav, I wasn't aware that the 'little ol' D in there would or could be a spoiler. In what way, can you explain? Anyway, the lense I will be ordering has the following name and numbers: Nikon Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300 mm at the price of $ 369.97.
So I am pretty happy about that.

Gerlinde
Old Mar 29, 2010, 1:42 PM   #16

Gerlinde-

Congratulations! You have isolated the Camera and lens that will work very well for you. Thanks for the welcome to the Golden Girls Club. Please just remember that as a Nikon D-3000 owner myself, I am always here to offer support and answer questions.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 30, 2010, 7:28 PM   #17

Hi Sarah, you have been a great help to me before. I just got our local flyer (in Canada) and see they have the D3000 on for $549. That seems to be a good price to me. I now have a D40X (which I think you had at one point) and wonder if you feel the switch to the 3000 would give me much. I also have the 18-200 VR and would like to know if it would work with the D3000. I have never learned my camera very well and I am thinking the built in guide would help. Does the guide help with manual settings too? Thanks.
Shari
PS Think I could belong to the Golden Girls Club? I am 68 and just started into photography four years ago.
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 8:17 PM   #18

Shari-

Its good to hear from you. Yes, the D3000 is a very competent camera and it matches up well with th Nikon 18-200mm VR. The Guide mode works very much with, and it is based on the "P" for Programed Auto Mode. The Guide Mode takes you in step by step fashion with inter spaced screen presentations that offer you a series of choices to move you toward completing your photo.

The Guide does make use of mode to cover shooting (regular and advanced) and is able to shift to the shutter preference or aperture preference modes automatically through the Guide mode without actually shifting the Mode Selector. So let me do a little research and see if it will also shift to Manual settings as well. I think it might do it.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:03 PM   #19

Hello DCav; Just wanted to get back to you with what I have learned in the meantime, namely (as our son tells me) and I quote:"As for the 70-300mm D lens - that's no longer manufactured. Only the G lens is sold by Nikon now.' End of quote. I just mentioned it for anyone else that is interested as well.

I will get the lense Nikon AF-S VR 70-300 through a friend that works for Nikon for $ 369.97 Canadien. The Nikon D 3000 camera I will be able to buy for $ 414.oo Canadien. I am pretty happy about that.

Calendula
Old Mar 31, 2010, 1:18 PM   #20

Yes, the 70-300 D lens has been out of production for a while, but it's still available. I mentioned it because you mentioned it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calendula View Post
... I am co-incidentlally looking at a Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/44-5.6D ...
The 70-300 G is still in production, and it's also not very good.

The 70-300 G VR is a current lens, and it's very good.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote