Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:44 PM   #1

Default No viewfinder on the Nikon D3000?

As I hunted for a compact DSLR that shoots good bird pictures, preferably action pictures with birds and other, I did look at a Sony a230 in our Walmart in Canada where it was sold for $ 488.
I liked the look and it handled great, very light weight. I also like the Battery it takes (I only look at cameras that take the Lithiium Batteries)

So after Walmart, we went to Blacks Photography here in our city. They had the new Sony a 230 I think it was called 235 or 330, I am not certain. But the problem with Sony I find is, they change their Memory card and their Batteries a lot which makes it tought if you want to use same in your next Sony.

Next to the Sony sat the Nikon D 3000 in the display case and we looked at that one. I was impressed and fell in love with it, maybe the reason is because I own a Nikon P3 digi for 3 years now and like it a lot. The settings are easy to understand and it makes great close-up pictures which I wanted for my flowers in my garden.
Since I like to take birds in flight I like the 3 fps shutter speed and many other key points. Here is the URL for the Nikon D 3000:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0907/09...nikond3000.asp

So here comes my question about this camera: does the D3000 NOT have a view finder? I can't see one and in the review it does not mention one either. As I understand it you have the large 3" LCD however this is just there for if you want to show the pictures to your friends, you can't "find" you picture with it. With my P3 I could do that.
Is there anyone out there that has a lot of experience with this relatively new camera? Did you find it a hinderence to not being able to "find" your picture before you shoot it?
I might turn my attention to the Nikon D 5000 if the 3000 hasn't got a viewfinder. The Nikon D 5000 by the way has a video built into it as an extra.

Gerlinde/ aka Calendula
Calendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:52 PM   #2

it has one.

[EDITED BY MODERATOR]
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:58 PM   #3
Administrator

Please do not embed images from other camera review sites like that, as it's copyrighted material. ;-)

Also, when you do embed images, please limit the size to 1024 pixels or less.

Thanks.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:06 PM   #4

First, Sony has only ever had two batteries for it's dSLRs. The FM500H has been used since the A100 (Sony's first dSLR) and is still used in their newest A500/A550, as well as their A850 and A900 'Full Frame' dSLRs. When Sony developed the smaller, lighter A230/A330/A380, they introduced the smaller, lighter FH50 battery. Also, Sony's dSLRs have always used the Sony MemoryStick. When they went to the smaller, lighter A230/A330/A380, they dropped the CF card in favor of the SD card, which they still use in their newest APS-C dSLRs, though their 'Full Frame' dSLRs still use CF cards.

Second, the Nikon D3000 has an optical viewfinder, but unlike the D5000, it doesn't have the 'Live View' feature that lets you compose a photo using the LCD display. But shooting with a dSLR is different from shooting with a P&S. The cameras are bigger and heavier, as are the lenses. Shooting birds in flight using 'Live View' will be difficult and strenuous.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 2:54 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Agreed, using an LCD for shooting birds in flight is not going to work.

You need an optical viewfinder and a good AF system is essential too. Also a lot of skill and the right lenses.

From the way you framed the original question you are going to have to learn an awful lot before you start getting the pictures you may be looking for.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 2:59 PM   #6

Besides birds what else do you like to shoot?
Old Mar 23, 2010, 3:29 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Also, Sony's dSLRs have always used the Sony MemoryStick.
I just noticed your post about Memory Stick.

The Sony A100, A200, A300 and A350 have only one card slot, designed for CompactFlash. If you want to use a Memory Stick Pro Duo card with them, you'd need an adapter. ;-)

Keep in mind that Sony based much of the design of these models on the Konica Minolta Maxxum/Dynax 5D. So, a number of Sony dSLR models do not have slots for Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo media. So, you'd an adapter to use that card type (and the same adapters will also work with other cameras and devices capable of using CompactFlash).

Now, some of the newer Sony models can directly support Memory Stick Pro Duo. For example, my Sony A700 has slots for both Memory Stick Pro Duo and CompactFlash. The same thing applies to the Sony A850 and A900 (dual card slots so you can use Memory Stick Pro Duo or CompactFlash).

The latest Sony models like the A230, A330, A380, A500, and A550 have slots for both Secure Digital and Memory Stick Pro Duo.

But, the some of the earlier Sony dSLR models like the A100, A200, A300, and A350 do not have Memory Stick Pro Duo slots (they only have a single CompactFlash Card slot). If you want to use anything other than CompactFlash with them (for example, Memory Stick Pro Duo), you need to use a Memory Stick Pro Duo to CompactFlash adapter (and Sony makes one, and included it with the A100, but not later models as it was optional with them).

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId=11034265

BTW, one interesting observation is that the latest Sony A5xx series cameras (A500, A550) have faster write speeds to to Sandisk 30MB/Second Memory Stick Pro-HG Duo cards compared to the latest Sandisk Class 10, 30MB/Second SDHC cards. These Sony models have write speeds to SDHC that are about the same as other similar dSLR models. But, they're much faster to the latest Sandisk 30MB/Second Memory Stick Pro-HG Duo cards. There's not a lot of price difference between these card types either, depending on the vendors you shop at (some are much higher priced compared to others for Memory Stick Pro Duo type cards). For example, newegg.com has 30MB/Second 16GB Sandisk Pro-HG Duo cards at $76.99 with free shipping right now (which is a lower price than I've been seeing Sandisk 30MB/Second 16GB SDHC cards selling for).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820171414
Old Mar 23, 2010, 3:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calendula View Post
Since I like to take birds in flight I like the 3 fps shutter speed and many other key points. Here is the URL for the Nikon D 3000:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0907/09...nikond3000.asp

So here comes my question about this camera: does the D3000 NOT have a view finder? I can't see one and in the review it does not mention one either.
If you follow your own link, click on "specifications." It gives details about the viewfinder.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 4:16 PM   #9
Administrator

Here you go (press photo from Nikon USA):
Attached Images

Old Mar 23, 2010, 6:18 PM   #10

Caledula-

You got everyone working on this for you. JimC beat me to a photo of the D-3000's Camera back and viewfinder. But I will post mine as well, as I own and use a Nikon D-3000 camera.

The D-3000 learning curve can be eased a great deal for you on the D-3000 with its very extensive built-in Guide. In fact, there is a "Guide" Selection on the D-3000's mode selector that makes it all quite easy for you.

As a birding lens, I would suggest the Nikon 70-300mm VR lens. And by the way the Nikon D-3000 and D-5000 use the very same battery.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote