Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:18 PM   #1

Default P&S "What Camera Should I Buy?"

Hello everyone,

Recently i've made a post looking for a P&S camera in the range of 200$. My budget has increased luckily and I am looking for a high end P&S Camera with photos in mind only, video capabilities are the least of my priorities.

I have a trip to San Francisco in July and I want to be able to take great pictures of scenes and people as well. Please bare in mind that I am an entry level photographer looking to expand my knowledge and skill. So a camera that I can grow with would be a plus!

So far i've looked at Panasonic FZ35, Canon S90, and Canon G11. My photgraphy skills are entry level so anything that can take the best pictures "out of the box" would be ideal. Any other recommendations will be taken greatfully. Thank you for taking the time to read this and hopefully you are able to help me find a camera.

Regards,
Chris
CHuynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:02 PM   #2

Chis-
en used in the "P" Mode
Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

It is just a personal opinion, but I believe that the added zoom of the Panasonic FZ-35 makes that the more desirable of the three possible camera choices. When used in the "P" Mode, "P" stands for Programed Auto, you will actually get better image quality than the IA Mode.

We have a large and active group of Panasonic FZ-35 posters in the Panasonic P+S folder. You might want to drop by that folder. There are lots of good FZ-35 photo samples.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:14 AM   #3

The S90 would be my recommendation.

1st, the size. Really compact with solid build quality.

then the photos - it uses the same sensor as the G11 series, sans the bulk.

The LCD display is large and clear.

Most important of all, as feedback by my friends (5 of them in the past 3 months) using it, the IS & picture qualities are very good = beyond their expectation !

My suggestions is on target for them
Lensmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 3:01 PM   #4

The S90 is very appealing fo it's size but the size isn't that much of adeal breaker for me. ThE optical viewfinder is very appealing for me from the fz35 and g11 since the s90 doesn't have one.

Sarah the p Mode is for programmed auto would that mean I have to adjust any settings?
Old Mar 23, 2010, 3:44 PM   #5

Chris-

No, there would be absolutely no adjustment of settings at all! You just half press the shutter release to attain focus, and take the photo.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 23, 2010, 3:57 PM   #6

think my mind is made up for the fz35, would it be a good camera to hold onto for years of learning?
Old Mar 23, 2010, 4:48 PM   #7

Chris-

That is the beauty of the Panasonic FZ-35. It is a full featured camera that you can easily grow with over a period of years. The FZ-35 is a camera for the long term. Just check out the Panasonic P+S folder and see all of the photo samples and the large amount of sharing of techniques and tips. That folder in itself assists the learning curve on the FZ-35.

Sarah Joyce