Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 31, 2010, 2:08 PM   #101

shoturtle-

In my opinion 10fps is worth the wait. 16 seconds is not that long a wait for 10 photos. Your opinion is a bit short sighted.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 2:17 PM   #102

Not really, if you waited 16 sec. A camera that shoot 3fps in the 17sec before you the sony is ready to shoot again. The 3fps will give you a total of 51 in theory. And some action you will want to burst more then 1 sec. So it is not sighted, it is a give and take. Something that I know sony does not mention in there 10fps ads.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 3:05 PM   #103
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Not really, if you waited 16 sec. A camera that shoot 3fps in the 17sec before you the sony is ready to shoot again. The 3fps will give you a total of 51 in theory. And some action you will want to burst more then 1 sec. So it is not sighted, it is a give and take. Something that I know sony does not mention in there 10fps ads.
No one is forcing anyone to set it for 10 shots though. You can set it to 2, 5 or 10 shots. Imaging Resource says maximum buffer clear time is 13s btw.
Acheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 3:07 PM   #104

I know but my point is the 10 burst and how useful it really is, I know you can set it to different burst rate. That is all. I think it is cool, but is it worth the 16 sec wait time?

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 3, 2010 at 1:29 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 3:29 PM   #105
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I know but my point it the 10 burst and how useful it really is, I know you can set it to different burst rate. That is all. I think it is cool, but is it worth the 16 sec wait time?
Well I guess it depend what you're shooting but personally think it's worth it. If I am shooting my dog at the agility course for example, that 2s wait (w/ the ZS7 for example) before I can shoot anything again would be too long. The action would be over. 10 shots consecutively though would be invaluable in that case. Now if I'm shooting a basketball game w/ creatures that are moving much slower (dogs can run 2.5x as fast as we can), then I could see where it might be preferable to just shoot a couple frames and be ready to shoot again quickly. In this case I coulld just the 2 fps setting. I understand your point of it being a marketing ploy of sorts, but they do give you options at least - ironically at that considering they give you so few options elsewhere.
Acheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 3:33 PM   #106

with the dog thing, if you use the 10fps, that will cause you to loose allot of the actions after with the 16 seconds of wait. But I agree that it is nice to have that option, it is a cool feature. Now if they could give me 2 sec at 10fps. Then it would be really useful.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 7:07 PM   #107

shoturtle-

I sincerely believe that you are comparing apples with oranges. The HX5 is a pocket size P+S camera and you are comparing it to DSLR burst rates. That is not fair considering the price difference.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 31, 2010, 7:25 PM   #108

No, I know the limitation of a point and shoot, I just think that there is allot of media hype about the 10fps. It is nice, but if you break down any human action, 2 sec is more ideal to capture on full action sequence. The HX5V is actually on my short list of possible p&s. With the LX3, S90, TX7 and 1 or 2 more. I know their limitations, and do break down the hype and really see what those features really mean in a real world shooting environment.

I just don't want to wave the hype flag that sony, just as an example, have put out on the hx5v. Or the hype that will comes with the canon or panny, and any of the other brands.

I currently own 2 point and shoot, one needs replacement badly. So I am being realist about the super features that is being hyped.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 7:36 PM   #109

shoturtle-

Then let's agree to compare P+S cameras against P+S cameras, NOT DSLR cameras.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 31, 2010, 7:47 PM   #110

I am not comparing a dslr to the point and shot, there are point and shots that have 3fps burst rate, I am not comparing it to say a 1dmkiv, which I have actually seen the hx5v hype against on it's burst rate. Just other point and shoot out on the market with 3fps burst rates.