Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 24, 2010, 7:18 PM   #11

SGF-

There are no professional reviews yet of the Canon SX210, but I did find this very detailed preview.

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news...ory_25119.html

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:51 PM   #12
SGF

Acheron-

Thanks for sharing your take on all three cameras. Basically those are the ones I'm considering but I just recently came across some articles on the Sony H55 so I'm checking that out also. I saw the LCD on the Canon S90 and it's really clear but I'm curious to see what the other two LCD screens will be like. One of my main cons on my camera is that the screen isn't sharp. Since I'm not in too much of a rush to purchase a new camera and the other two (HX5 and SX210) will be out soon I might as well wait but I'm going to check out the S-90 again this weekend.

Sarah Joyce-

Thanks for the link. It was a very informative article and had some great pictures of the SX210. Not to keen on the colors it comes in but that's just cosmetic. But really, they could have come up with better choices. By the way what's your views on the Sony H55 vs. the other cameras I'm considering.
SGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 1:32 AM   #13
Banned

Same sensor on the SX210 as the SX200 and a raise in MP is almost surely going to bring a drop in IQ. Just something to keep in mind.

As for the H55 vs HX5V ... the HX5V should be better in low-light due its CMOS sensor but the H55 will likely get the slight edge in daylight due its CCD and lower ISO options. The HX5V will be better for action shots as its burst mode is far better. The HX5V has 1080i stereo video vs the mono 720p on the H55 but if your like me, the video is just a bonus and not really important. The H55 has 14MP on a small sensor which typically is a bad idea.

Where are you located btw that these cams are not available yet? They have all been available in the US for some time now.
Acheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 9:44 AM   #14

SGF-

The Sony H55 will sell for $249, using a conventional CCD imager. However, it is set-up to do hand sweep panoramas. The HX-5 will have a backlighted CMOS imager, and much more automation along with GPS.

www.sonystyle has the HX-5 in stock, as does Amazon. The H55 model is still on pre order at both www.sonystyle.com and Amazon. Amazon also has the Canon SX210 on preorder.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Mar 25, 2010 at 9:47 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:22 AM   #15
SGF

Yes like you video isn't impt. to me either as a matter of fact I never use that feature on my other camera now. I do reside in the US and know I can purchase some of these cameras online but I wanted to wait and see if any of the stores were getting them in so I could actual get the feel of them. We do plan on visiting St. Maarten and St. Thomas shortly and may be in NY (B & H Photo) so I'm hoping one of their camera stores will have them by then. If not I guess I'll have to make a decision without seeing the camera in person.

I sort of ruled out the H55 now as compared to the HX5 I do like the lens better and the fact that the continuous shooting is faster and that it should do better in low light are two impt. factors to me.

Been doing some reading on various other cameras and noticed the Nikon S-8000. Any thoughts on this model? Doesn't seem to have as much as the others I'm considering but it looked interesting.

I still love Panasonic Lumix and would consider the TZ7 (is that there new one with the 3" LCD) but heard the IQ wasn't too good. Would the quality be noticed that much if I only do 4x6 prints?

I do like the idea of the hand sweep feature but that wouldn't be my deciding factor. Most important to me is best in low light, action, fast continuous shooting and sharp LCD.

Last edited by SGF; Mar 25, 2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 11:03 AM   #16
Banned

Nikon has failed to produce a truly good compact in so long that it was the first cam you mentioned that I had never even seen a picture of. The reviews put the IQ at "above average" which ranks it below all of the other models we've discussed here. Battery life is poor as it always is with Nikon. It's rated at only 210 shots despite being one of the smallest cams in its class. I'd say its size is probably the best thing going for it.

I am sure the ZS7 IQ would be fine for 4x6 prints but I would get a ZS3 unless you really need/want some of the new features on the ZS7. The price difference is $100-150 depending on where you shop.

B&H has all of the aforementioned models in stock except for the H55 which is due in April. Don't get a $115 parking ticket like I did last time I went there.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:31 PM   #17
SGF

Sorry about that ticket, parking in that area is crazy as last time we were there our son just had enough time to run in while we waited in the car. He wanted to look at another lens for his D-300S. He's into DSLR's and all the various lens but as you can see I'm not. I prefer a P & S with some decent IQ and a few features thrown in.

I looked at the ZS3 briefly and can't remember the difference between it and the ZS7. If I remember correctly I think the ZS 3 had the smaller LCD and I definitely want a 3". Could you please tell me the major differences?

Also what's the Panasonic ZS5?

Also noticed people considering the two new Samsung cameras WB650 and HZ35. Any thoughts on those?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:52 PM   #18
Banned

The ZS3 has a 3" screen. The changes are:

• Faster auto focus and 0.006 second shutter-lag
  • Manual exposure controls
  • New Intelligent Resolution processing engine
  • Built-in GPS

The ZS5 is the upgrade to the ZS1.

The Samsung WB650 and HZ35 are the same model. It sounds good but I haven't read any reviews or anything on it. I am not quite convinced of Samsung's abilities in IQ and color just yet as they really just started getting serious with the last round of P&S cams.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 4:15 PM   #19
SGF

I'm a little confused .... if the ZS-5 is the upgrade to the ZS-1 then where does the ZS-3 fit in? Is that the model in between the other two?

• Faster auto focus and 0.006 second shutter-lag
  • Manual exposure controls
  • New Intelligent Resolution processing engine
  • Built-in GPS
The only thing that doesn't interest me out of these is the GPS but is it worth having a little less IQ on my 4x6's in order to have the rest (faster auto, manual exposure controls, new Int. Res. processing engine)? I'm going to take another look online at these camera later.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 5:01 PM   #20
Banned

The ZS1 and ZS3 were last years models and the ZS5 and ZS7 are their respective replacements. The ZS1 had a smaller screen than the ZS3 and didn't record video in AVCHD. I haven't looked at the ZS5 but I presume its differences in relation to the ZS7 are similar.