Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 25, 2010, 9:52 PM   #21
SGF

The ZS-5 is the one with the smaller LCD so I'm not too interested in that one. Still comparing and reading reviews for the ZS-3 vs. ZS-7. The other three cameras (SX210, S90, and HX5) are still also being considered.

I appreciate all your input and information in helping me make a decision. Thanks.
SGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 2:00 AM   #22
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGF View Post
The ZS-5 is the one with the smaller LCD so I'm not too interested in that one. Still comparing and reading reviews for the ZS-3 vs. ZS-7. The other three cameras (SX210, S90, and HX5) are still also being considered.

I appreciate all your input and information in helping me make a decision. Thanks.
np, I am trying to decide as well and looking at some of the same cams. The S90 lacks the zoom. The others lack a sensor large enough to take proper low-light shots. The Panasonics have that nasty, awful WB in many shots that requires post-processing and drives me mad, not to mention their abysmal low-light performance. The SX200 had some blurriness and PF issues and lower IQ so I imagine the SX210 will as well. I actually expect the SX210 to have lower IQ as I believe the sensor is the same despite more MP. The HX5V lacks manual controls and has excessive NR. Every cam is lacking something so they don't make it easy.
Acheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 11:13 AM   #23

vanasa-

When the S-90 is equipped with the franiec grip, it becomes a much more manageable camera. The grip is an excellent investment for the S-90. It solved those "slippery" problems nicely for me.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 11:26 AM   #24
SGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron View Post
np, I am trying to decide as well and looking at some of the same cams. The S90 lacks the zoom. The others lack a sensor large enough to take proper low-light shots. The Panasonics have that nasty, awful WB in many shots that requires post-processing and drives me mad, not to mention their abysmal low-light performance. The SX200 had some blurriness and PF issues and lower IQ so I imagine the SX210 will as well. I actually expect the SX210 to have lower IQ as I believe the sensor is the same despite more MP. The HX5V lacks manual controls and has excessive NR. Every cam is lacking something so they don't make it easy.

Totally agree as those are the same reasons why I'm having such a problem deciding. I know that no camera is perfect but each seems to be missing one of the major requirements for me so I guess it will just come down to which requirement I'm willing to sacrifice on. I don't think I'm leaning towards the S90 probably going to rule that one out as I definitely want more zoom than what it offers. I also noticed the excessive NR in the photo samples of the HX5 plus no manual controls so that ones also on the bottom for me. It comes down to so far either the ZS3 or I'm still doing research with the SX210. I don't know about you but I'm not rushing into anything until I read more reviews. Are you leaning towards any particular one now? Any others you can suggest I review?

I agree Vanasa the S90 is a decent camera and the photos seem clear and sharp but between the poor battery life which wouldn't be a major problem as I always carry extra but the lack of zoom is a huge problem for me. I would rather sacrifice a little IQ but have zoom.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 1:31 PM   #25

acheron-

I agree that the HX-5 is the first step in what will be a multi-step camera evolution, and it does indeed have a lack of controls. But it appears to be a very good step forward. Reading in this Forum and in DPReview, you can see folks progressively getting better and better image quality photos and some interesting use of the HHT (handheld twilight mode) to get better photos and image quality.

I was seriously considering the Canon SX-210, but the images that I have seen are not very positive and CA as well as some lens distortion are visible.

I find myself warming up more and more toward the HX-5 as the better camera of that compact group that have a nice wide angle and reasonable zoom.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 26, 2010, 2:14 PM   #26
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGF View Post
I don't know about you but I'm not rushing into anything until I read more reviews. Are you leaning towards any particular one now? Any others you can suggest I review?
I'm not rushing yet but soon. I mainly use my camera when I'm out hiking and with spring upon us, I'll be out on the trails more and more and would love to have my new cam with me.

Right now I am leaning towards the Sony HX5V or Canon SX200. While the Sony's NR is excessive, I have been checking out some samples at dpreview including some indoor shots. They look quite good at the size posted but I have no idea how they would look at 16:9 7MP (max 16:9 size for this cam). The Canon's primary appeal in this class is the manual control. I reviewed a Canon camcorder last year and I loved the ability to choose color settings and such. I also find that Canon's AWB is also usually excellent (unlike Panasonic) and their manual setup is easy to use (unlike the latest Fujis). The PF/CA is a concern but it really depends on how often it creeps up. I don't mind fixing some photos in PP as long as I'm not doing it all the time.
Acheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 4:04 PM   #27

acheron-

I plan to follow the Sony HX5 closely. It may be the start of a better/different kind of camera and I would like to get in on the "ground floor.".

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 26, 2010, 5:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
acheron-

I plan to follow the Sony HX5 closely. It may be the start of a better/different kind of camera and I would like to get in on the "ground floor.".

Sarah Joyce
sarah -

please do post if you check out the hx5. i am very interested in your opinion (you seem to know a lot).

how is the speed of the canon s90? that's my concern on any camera. i have the pany tz5 and it's too slow.

thanks!

Last edited by dottcomm1; Mar 26, 2010 at 5:53 PM.
dottcomm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 6:24 PM   #29

dottcomm1-

Thanks for the nice comment. The shot to shot times on the S-90 are actually quite decent.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Mar 26, 2010 at 8:18 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 6:36 PM   #30
SGF

Sarah -

I'd also like to know should you find out anymore on the HX5. At this point I'm so confused I have no idea what to purchase!

Acheron -

I'd also like to have whatever new camera I decide on by this summer. Hopefully they'll have them in some of the camera stores on our upcoming trip to the islands so I can play around with them.