Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 26, 2010, 7:30 PM   #31

Default Sony HX5, a New Evolution

.SGF-

While we have been slow in getting the discussion started in our Sony P+S folder, thanks to GreenBaron we have a user review, and an ever expanding discussion.

The great area of many posts in over on www.dpreview.com's Sony P+S folder, as perhaps upward to 6 to 10 users are posting photo samples and discussing photo technique with the HX5. As a result, the photo samples have actually become noticably improved.

I see the HX5 as setting new placemarks in the rapidly changing CMOS imager camera strain. Like the other CMOS based models Sony has previously produced the HX1, the WX1, and the TX1, the HX5 is yet another progressive and improving step in the emerging CMOS technology.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:29 AM   #32
SGF

Sarah-

I've been comparing photos on some internet sites from the HX5 vs. ZS7 and I can definitely see a difference in more IQ for the HX5 when both photos are viewed together. The HX5 is again moving to the top of my list after reading more reviews and seeing photo samples. The lack of shutter and aperture controls is still a factor but I'm leaning towards doing without it. The only thing holding me back now is not being able to see the clarity of the LCD since it's the same 230,000 that I have now and I really wanted a higher resolution. Have you had a chance to see the LCD screen or are there any reviews about how clear it is? That's one of my complaints with the camera I have now.....in playback the photo doesn't look sharp and clear.
SGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 3:46 AM   #33

Hi,

i'm also trying to choose btw, sony H55, HX5, Panasonic SZ7 and Samsung CL80 (TS5500)...now that i read your treads i have narrowed my choice btw Sony HX% and The Samsung one....
P.S. Samsung has a screen at 460 000....also quite good other features incl wifi and bluetooth...
Has anyone had a look at it?

Thx
digicam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 4:16 AM   #34
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by digicam5 View Post
Hi,

i'm also trying to choose btw, sony H55, HX5, Panasonic SZ7 and Samsung CL80 (TS5500)...now that i read your treads i have narrowed my choice btw Sony HX% and The Samsung one....
P.S. Samsung has a screen at 460 000....also quite good other features incl wifi and bluetooth...
Has anyone had a look at it?

Thx
The Samsung looks pretty good but wide is 31mm rather than 25-28mm. I'm also still not convinced of Samsung's IQ and color accuracy yet. Until this year, I wasn't even seriously considering any of their cams.
Acheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 4:28 AM   #35

Thx for ur fast reply,

i also have doubts in Samsung ability to deliver ...i think the camera is already available here so i'll go and check it out...
Old Mar 27, 2010, 5:27 AM   #36

on cnet the reviews on HX5 are not really good and they are praising Panasonic TZ10 up to the skyes... n here is the other way round.... so confusing...

Last edited by digicam5; Mar 27, 2010 at 6:48 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 6:29 AM   #37

Btw any feedback on Casio H15 Exilim- looks good on paper:
14.1 mgpx, 10x zoom,24mm wide angle, 3.0"LCD , resolution 460k, 1000 shots battery life, Premium Auto....

Last edited by digicam5; Mar 27, 2010 at 6:34 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 10:43 AM   #38

http://snapsort.com/compare/Sony_Cyb...r-shot_DSC-TX7
Old Mar 27, 2010, 11:04 AM   #39
SGF

Sounds like you're having the same problem as me and getting more confused after reading the various reviews. Some praise the ZS7 and others say the IQ is terrible. I'm finding the same for the HX5, very mixed reviews. I've crossed out the H55 and am concentrating on mostly the other two but this new Casio H15 seems interesting. Usually don't like Casio but is this camera out yet and have you read any reviews?
SGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:05 PM   #40

This may be helpful. Here is a link to a full review of the HX5, which includes a direct comparison to the Panasonic ZS7 and the Canon SX210.

http://cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_Cyber-shot_DSC_HX5/

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote