Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 27, 2010, 3:52 PM   #41
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by digicam5 View Post
on cnet the reviews on HX5 are not really good and they are praising Panasonic TZ10 up to the skyes... n here is the other way round.... so confusing...
Cnet's reviews are useless for essentially everything. If you watch the video reviews, they even often refer to the camera zoom as "ten X". They said the touchscreen on my Panasonic camcorder was "unresponsive." I have operated the darn thing with gloves on in 20F weather and had absolutely zero issues with the touchscreen. Meanwhile, they said nothing about the poor white balance and let me tell you - the white balance on this thing is horrible. Whether they are right or not about a particular product is pretty much left to chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGF View Post
Some praise the ZS7 and others say the IQ is terrible.
I certainly wouldn't say it's terrible - it's simply not as good as the ZS3. As always, you also have to be willing to live with Panasonic's color issues and correct them in post-processing. For those who don't see it in the images, you can check out Imaging Resources color chart for all of the Panasonic models.

Quote:
I'm finding the same for the HX5, very mixed reviews.
Well the reviews are always going to be mixed for anything. You have to keep in mind that these reviews are generally done by photography enthusiasts who look at 100% crops and pixel peep. Many of them are going to find the NR completely unacceptable. You just have to decide if the camera will do well for your purposes. Are you going to be printing 5x7, 8x11 .. poster size? The 2 former would look fine based on reviews but the latter would suggest you'd be better off with a different camera.

Quote:
this new Casio H15 seems interesting. Usually don't like Casio but is this camera out yet and have you read any reviews?
I wouldn't go with anything by Casio based on their reputation for poor IQ.

Last edited by Acheron; Mar 27, 2010 at 3:56 PM.
Acheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 4:55 PM   #42
SGF

Sarah-

Thanks for the link. Yes, I've seen that comparison yesterday and it definitely went over the differences between the cameras. There was also a site (think it was imagingresource) that compared the photos in various ISO's which I though was great to see side by side. The HX5 way out shined the ZS7 in IQ in higher ISO's. Even some of the ones at 3200 were ok for me. May not be for a professional enthusiast but I've been happy with my Panasonic TZ3 so I'm not too fussy. The only thing holding me back is I want to see the LCD screen prior to purchase as like I said that is one of the things that I'm really not happy with on my camera now. None of the camera stores have it available yet so I'm hoping on our upcoming trip to the islands that maybe those camera stores will as they have plenty there to choose from.

Have a great weekend also.

Acheron-

That's what my son said (while laughing) about Casio when I mentioned that camera. Like you he thinks Casio isn't known for IQ. He loves his Nikon cameras (D300S and D200) so he's not into P & S cameras but he recently has been trying to explain shutter and aperture and ISO to me so I can practice setting a camera manually or in one of the priority settings. Manual controls would be nice but that's not my main priority as I still like more of the intelligent modes that it does everything for you but having the option for manual would be nice but I wouldn't miss it.

Since most of the pictures I'd print would be in 5x7 I agree there wouldn't be much of a difference except maybe in higher ISO's. I really like all the features the HX5 has I just want to see the LCD screen prior to purchase as the 230,000 on my Panasonic now I feel isn't good and I'm hoping even though the HX5 has the same number of pixels maybe it's brighter.
SGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:16 PM   #43

SGF-

Please keep in mind that there are multiple reports that the photos do not look all that great on the HX5's LCD screen in the field, but as soon as they are downloaded to the computer, those photos become a very pleasant surprise. Therefore I would not put too much faith in the LCD screen.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:26 PM   #44
Banned

The screen is better on the ZS7 which is really unusual imho since in camcorders, Sony's screens usually kick the crap out of the competition.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 11:01 PM   #45

acheron-

That is exactly why the poor LCD display quality of photos taken with the HX5 came as a decided surprise to the users making those poor LCD presentation reports.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 12:11 AM   #46
SGF

I finally got a chance to see the HX5 tonight and play around with some of the controls. The LCD screen IMHO isn't that bad. I'm sure the ZS7 with 490,000 pixels is sharper but I could live with the Sony LCD. I really liked the feel of the camera. The burst and HDR modes worked great. This Sony is equiped with so many features I didn't even understand how to use half of them without the manual available. I was going to purchase it tonight but decided to try and find the ZS7 and check it out also just so I know I looked at both prior to purchasing one. Just from the short amount of time I was able to use the HX5 I could tell this camera seemed to be a lot of fun to use. If I purchase one it will probably take me a long time until I understand all the different functions and how to use them.
SGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 1:29 AM   #47

thx sarah joyce u 2!

SGX u might want to consider Samsung WB650, i had a go at it in the shop today and seems better than Sony HX5, has the high contrast screen (OLED), wider zoom, all the manual controls that sony lacks and gps
digicam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 5:48 AM   #48

Quote:
Sounds like you're having the same problem as me and getting more confused after reading the various reviews. Some praise the ZS7 and others say the IQ is terrible. I'm finding the same for the HX5, very mixed reviews. I've crossed out the H55 and am concentrating on mostly the other two but this new Casio H15 seems interesting. Usually don't like Casio but is this camera out yet and have you read any reviews?
Hi i just came back from my preview camera tour...Casio H15 was not available yet.
I tried HX5, Samsung WB 650 and Canon 210, i should say i liked Samsung WB650 the most, it almost the same specs like the HX5, but is equipped with better screen and manual controls...
digicam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 6:08 AM   #49
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by digicam5 View Post
Hi i just came back from my preview camera tour...Casio H15 was not available yet.
I tried HX5, Samsung WB 650 and Canon 210, i should say i liked Samsung WB650 the most, it almost the same specs like the HX5, but is equipped with better screen and manual controls...
IQ is really going to be the deciding factor for Samsung. They don't have the best track record in that area though they are constantly improving so I'm anxious to see reviews for the 650.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 8:33 AM   #50

Default GPS function HX5V

Hello,

i'm going to buy a new camera within the next 2 weeks. Thank you for all the good posts here which really helped me. At this moment I prefer the sony HX5V. One question ist still open for me. does anyone testet the gps function under normal circumstances. i dont wont to carry a gps logger with me. So how long the gps modul needs to find your position?

Thx @all
Matlow is offline   Reply With Quote