Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:18 AM   #51

Matlow-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

In the camera labs review of the HX5, there is a whole section on GPS. You might find that helpful.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:49 AM   #52
SGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by digicam5 View Post
thx sarah joyce u 2!

SGX u might want to consider Samsung WB650, i had a go at it in the shop today and seems better than Sony HX5, has the high contrast screen (OLED), wider zoom, all the manual controls that sony lacks and gps

We think alike as that model WB650 was also on my list. I haven't seen any reviews (just pre-reviews) for it and like mentioned by others I was also some what concerned in how good the IQ would be as Samsung hasn't been know for having the best IQ. Since it's not in any stores near me yet I sort of put that model on the back burner so to speak and then got so interested in the HX5 I forgot about it. Glad to hear you thought it was a good camera. I'd be interested in seeing any photos shot from this model. Is there any on the net? The screen from some video demos I saw on line looked great. Can't believe it has 920,000 resolution. Looks fairly easy to use also.
SGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 11:08 AM   #53
SGF

Found this site http://v.daum.net/link/5987218 with some photos from the WB650. Just scroll down and there are a few samples. What are your thoughts?

Those are all low ISO shots and I'd be interested in finding some with a higher ISO as I'm wondering how it will do in low light situations. The Sony HX5 seems to be good in higher ISO's.

Last edited by SGF; Mar 28, 2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 3:11 PM   #54

SGF-

The Samsung WB650/HZ35W is not available in the USA, nor is there a review anywhere on it. Based on my Samsung experience, I think the the Sony HX5 is a safer bet.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 28, 2010, 3:53 PM   #55
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlow View Post
Hello,

i'm going to buy a new camera within the next 2 weeks. Thank you for all the good posts here which really helped me. At this moment I prefer the sony HX5V. One question ist still open for me. does anyone testet the gps function under normal circumstances. i dont wont to carry a gps logger with me. So how long the gps modul needs to find your position?

Thx @all
The Sony takes a couple minutes. The Panasonic ZS7 updates every minute. I haven't seen any reviews on the Samsung so I have no idea about that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGF View Post
Found this site http://v.daum.net/link/5987218 with some photos from the WB650. Just scroll down and there are a few samples. What are your thoughts?

Those are all low ISO shots and I'd be interested in finding some with a higher ISO as I'm wondering how it will do in low light situations. The Sony HX5 seems to be good in higher ISO's.
I think they look good but it's hard to tell at that size and limited ISO range. Otherwise, the color looks good and no obvious color cast/WB issues. That first image however is blurry.

Last edited by Acheron; Mar 28, 2010 at 4:35 PM.
Acheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 4:09 PM   #56

acheron-

The only user comment (from the far east) I found over on dpreview claimed the gps cut the battery life by 40% for what that might be worth.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 28, 2010, 5:17 PM   #57
SGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron View Post
That first image however is blurry.
That's what I thought also but the rest looked ok except they were at very low ISO's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
SGF-

The Samsung WB650/HZ35W is not available in the USA, nor is there a review anywhere on it. Based on my Samsung experience, I think the the Sony HX5 is a safer bet.

Sarah Joyce
I agree that most probably the Sony will be a better choice but do you have any idea when this model will be available in the USA? I'd still like to see it or at least read some reviews from users.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 7:25 PM   #58

SGF-

The arrival date of the Samsung WB650/HZ35W is not list anywhere. Therefore, I am assuming that the arrival date is certainly more than 30 days away and maybe even 60 days, as that would still make it available for the summer/holiday market.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 28, 2010, 9:09 PM   #59

i was also leaning towards buying Sony HX5 but the Samsung WB650 just got available in Singapore,

SGF u r right what grabbed me was that it is very user friendly too ( the price 399US$ vs Sony HX5 is 465 US$- not a big difference) so i'll be waiting for more detailed reviews and photos in high ISO fm WB 650 before buying anything...it might be a pleasant surprise....
Acheron thx for ur input abt cnet, i was heavily depending on their reviews....

Last edited by digicam5; Mar 28, 2010 at 9:26 PM.
digicam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2010, 9:14 PM   #60
SGF

Since I am not in a rush I most probably will wait also. My son still thinks the HX5 will prove a better choice as the CCD sensor Samsung is using will most likely have more noise compared to the CMOS sensor Sony is using. Time will tell.