Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:45 AM   #71

SGF-

You asked about the differences between the performance of the ZS3 versus the ZS7, her is a quote from the professional review of the ZS-7:

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 12:06 PM   #72
SGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by digicam5 View Post
SGF a new very detailed review and tests with Samsung HZ35:

http://en.segadget.com/entry/538

I'm quite impressed with the IQ...

p.s. some us sites have selling date for it 30 Mar

Thanks I'll check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
That is significant! If the Samsung WB650/HZ35W tops out at ISO 800, which is about what I would expect, that is another bonus for the HX5, which can handle ISO 1600.By the way, I have a HX5 on order and it will be here at the end of the week. That way we will have hard data and actual photos to deal with in our discussion.

Sarah Joyce
That's great! You'll be able to give us more information and you can post some low light photos. From what I've seen so far the HX5 does seem like it will do better in low light situations. I enjoyed using it for a little in the store but I had limited time so didn't get to learn much.

Thanks for the comparison on the ZS3 vs. ZS7. I've decided I'm not interested in the ZS3 mainly because if I get a camera without manual controls I'll probably go with the HX5. The ZS7 is still on the list but if I had to choose today I'd probably go with HX5 for the better low light. I'm still really interested to see how the HZ35 rates. Hope it does come out at the end of March early April like digicam5 stated.

Regarding the two different sensors (CCD vs. CMOS). I was curious to know how they compare. Does any other camera use the CMOS sensor, how's the IQ on them?
SGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 1:59 PM   #73

SGF-

Sony began the CMOS imager revolution with the HX-1 and TX-1 models in 2009, then they followed with the WX-1 late in 2009. The HX5 is the 4th cmos imager equipped camera.

The CMOS imager technology continues to evolve. The HX1 and TX1 used a conventional CMOS imager. The WX1 was the first backlighted CMOS imager. Now the HX5 is a further evolution. So, as you can easily see the CMOS imager used on the HX5 has a heritage.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 3:26 PM   #74
SGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
SGF-

Sony began the CMOS imager revolution with the HX-1 and TX-1 models in 2009, then they followed with the WX-1 late in 2009. The HX5 is the 4th cmos imager equipped camera.

The CMOS imager technology continues to evolve. The HX1 and TX1 used a conventional CMOS imager. The WX1 was the first backlighted CMOS imager. Now the HX5 is a further evolution. So, as you can easily see the CMOS imager used on the HX5 has a heritage.

Sarah Joyce
Is the CMOS sensor suppose to be better in giving sharper images than the CCD?
Old Mar 29, 2010, 4:13 PM   #75
SGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by digicam5 View Post
SGF a new very detailed review and tests with Samsung HZ35:

http://en.segadget.com/entry/538

I'm quite impressed with the IQ...

p.s. some us sites have selling date for it 30 Mar

Just checked out that site and was very impressed with the IQ even the one or two photos that were at higher ISO's.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 4:18 PM   #76

SGF,

I would have like to see a low light shot with it at 1600 and 3200iso. That would be a better test shot of how it reacts in real life to the higher iso range.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 4:32 PM   #77
SGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
SGF,

I would have like to see a low light shot with it at 1600 and 3200iso. That would be a better test shot of how it reacts in real life to the higher iso range.
I agree, but if I remember correctly there was something there that showed the difference between the ISO's and the 1600 and 3200 didn't look too bad. Personally I think the HX5 will prove to be better but that's not to say that the HZ35 won't be decent. Time will tell as I'm sure we'll start to see more reviews and photos online in a few weeks.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 4:36 PM   #78

Those were control lighting shots, not a really world comparison. So good lighting will hide some of the noise. Form those sample, it seems 800iso is really where you want to stop it at. At 1600iso you can see the noise with good lighting. So in low light it would be way more pronounce.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 4:45 PM   #79
SGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Those were control lighting shots, not a really world comparison. So good lighting will hide some of the noise. Form those sample, it seems 800iso is really where you want to stop it at. At 1600iso you can see the noise with good lighting. So in low light it would be way more pronounce.
Thanks for clearing that up. Didn't know that those shots were under controlled lighting.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 4:49 PM   #80

The real test for iso is low light photos, and those shots seem to be done under daylight conditions or very well lite area. So it is not a great indicator of iso performance.