Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 29, 2010, 5:13 PM   #81

Default Thx Sarah! Re: Sony HX-5 vs Panny ZS7 (vs Canon S210)

Appreciate the posts here -- esp yours Sarah! The link to CameraLabs review was excellent as such provided a means for me to ferret through the good, bad, & ugly about the cameras I'm considering (trio in subject line). I'm hesitant about Samsung only due to past performance promise v reality re: IQ. The key methinks in selecting (I was Panny ZS3 +/or 7, but now HX-5 biased now) is the CMOS sensor, since it can operate with less noise electrons (higher efficient transfer) when compared to bucket well (CCDs). The negative aspect of Sony is their push away from Carl Zeiss. However, I'm back looking at P&S cameras as my simple but faithful DSC W100 Sony got "debris/dust" in the lens that could not be "removed" without disassembly. In the end, the camera became project parts - that Zeiss system was heavily metered using plastic parts. My last thought is to look for MTF performance of Leica (Panny) vs 'new' Sony lens and see what resolution can be provided to the sensors, optically. Bets are, none of these 3 are bad, it's just what makes one tick as to which is "best". Tim
Majormaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 5:26 PM   #82

I also found a nice site that summarizes the technology behind the HX-5 which helps to compare to others... including the CMOS sensor,

http://hx5v.blogspot.com/2010/01/son...fications.html
Majormaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 5:32 PM   #83
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGF View Post
Regarding the two different sensors (CCD vs. CMOS). I was curious to know how they compare. Does any other camera use the CMOS sensor, how's the IQ on them?
CCD is capable of a higher DR and better performance overall in a still camera than an equivalent CMOS. CMOS is a bit faster and consumes less power, which is probably why Sony often pulls ahead of the competition in battery usage. There are a variety of other differences but in the end each has its own pros and cons. I think the main issues preventing many companies from proceeding with CMOS is that the chips are more expensive than their CCD counterparts.
Acheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 6:14 PM   #84
SGF

Acheron-

Thanks for the explanation between the different sensors.

SGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 6:25 PM   #85
Banned

Quote:
Acheron-

Thanks for the explanation between the different sensors.
np. One other difference I should mention is that CMOS is generally preferred for video which coincides with the HX5V's video superiority.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:22 PM   #86
SGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron View Post
np. One other difference I should mention is that CMOS is generally preferred for video which coincides with the HX5V's video superiority.
Video isn't one of the features I'm even probably going to use so the CMOS sensor won't help me there. I'm not even checking out any of the specifications for video on any of the cameras I'm looking at. Probably should but then again I won't be using the GPS either.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:54 AM   #87
Banned

Quote:
Video isn't one of the features I'm even probably going to use so the CMOS sensor won't help me there. I'm not even checking out any of the specifications for video on any of the cameras I'm looking at. Probably should but then again I won't be using the GPS either.
I agree with you completely. The P&S market is continuing in that direction though so CMOS might become more common in them in the the future as the importance of good video performance becomes the norm. It's a theory anyway.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:18 AM   #88

does sony TX7 have absolutelly the same features as the HX5 minus the zoom(lens) and the gps?...looks like it to me?!

Last edited by digicam5; Mar 30, 2010 at 11:20 AM.
digicam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:32 AM   #89

digicam5-

What you have posted is true, but that is only half of the story. The biggest thing that differs between the TX-7 and the HX-5 is color rendition. The red channel in the TX-7 is much stronger than the red channel in the HX-5.

At least to me the color produced by the HX-5 is much better than the TX-7. The two cameras that are much closer together color-wise are the TX-5 and the HX-5.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:42 AM   #90
SGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
digicam5-

The red channel in the TX-7 is much stronger than the red channel in the HX-5.
At least to me the color produced by the HX-5 is much better than the TX-7.

Sarah Joyce
I agree Sarah. When I look at the pictures from the TX-7 all the photos have a much stronger red than the HX-5 which to me looks more natural.

Is there a way to turn down the "red" hue only?

Can't wait for you to receive your HX-5 and post some photos and let us know how you're enjoying it.