Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:56 PM   #1
SGF

Default Need help deciding between Sony HX5 and Cannon SX210

I am presently deciding between purchasing either the Sony HX5 or the Cannon SX210 and would like some pro's and con's on both these cameras.

Basically I am looking for a good P & S camera with the option of manual controls in order to be able to start selecting the settings on my own. I am not too familiar with priority and shutter settings but would like to learn yet still have the advantage of taking good photos while doing so.

At present I have the Panasonic Lumix TZ3 and I find the time between shots is too long unless you use the continuous mode. I also find action shots and low lighting a problem.

Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
SGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2010, 11:34 AM   #2

SGF-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

The three most common requests for point and shoot cameras are (1) the shot to shot times (2) their ability to cope with a photo environment that has particularly low lighting. (3) the inclusion of manual controls.

Due the very small imagers used in over 90% of all P+S cameras, the ability to cope with a dimly lighted photo environment is, due to pure physics, limited. There are a a few P+S cameras that manage to produce better results under these condition, such as the Canon S-90, the Samsung E-1, and perhaps the Sony HX-5. However, you can see the number is few. There is a user review and a selection of sample photos from the HX-5 in the Sony P+S folder.

As to the inclusion of manual controls, of that small group of low light able cameras, only the Canon S-90 and the Samsung E-1 have real manual controls. Thus you can see the number of possible cameras has been further reduced.

In the area of shot to shot times, the Canon S-90 remains in the group, but lacking definitive professional reviews, we cannot say for sure that either the HX-5 or E-1 are to be included. Being recently introduced cameras, we will have to remain in wait for a professional review of those cameras.

We do know that the Canon SX-210 will have 14mp, 14X optical zoom and full controls, but nothing more at this time. So we are in a waiting period.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Mar 23, 2010 at 12:35 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:46 PM   #3
SGF

Sarah Joyce

Thanks for the welcome. Really enjoying the boards as there are so many interesting posts and comments.

I originally looked at the Cannon S90 and even though I liked the picture quality I didn't care for the feel and my thumb kept moving the control ring to easily when holding the camera while taking pictures.

I thought the HX-5 had manual controls, was I incorrect? I don't need to shoot in RAW basically I just want to start learning how to set the Shutter Priority and Aperture Priority.

Is the Cannon SX-210 going to be a new series or just a newer model from an existing camera already?

How do you feel about the Panasonic ZS7?
Old Mar 23, 2010, 1:25 PM   #4

SGF-

OK, so we will cross the Canon S-90 off the list. The controls on the HX-5 are very similiar to those of the Panasonic ZS3, I understand that they will not allow shutter or aperture priority. The Canon SX-210 is a carry-on of the existing SX-200 camera.

In professional reviews the increased megapixel count on the new ZS7 has be reported to have measurably decreased image quality over the image quality provided by the previous camera, the ZS3.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 23, 2010, 4:32 PM   #5
SGF

Do you know when the SX-210 is coming out? Just read some reviews on the SX-200 which were mostly positive and I'd be interested in waiting to see what they say about the 210. Hopefully they fixed some of the problems reported like less than average battery life, slow flash....

Another requirement for me would definitely be a clear LCD screen as with mine now I find it shows the object to be photographed but not clearly displayed (same in playback mode) as compared to other P & S cameras so I never really get to know how clear the photo I just took really is until I get home and transfer them to my computer.

I want to stay with the size camera I have now as it's convenient and can go in a pocket so it looks like my only options are the HX-5 with no manual controls, wait for the SX-210 and it's review or get over the little negatives on the S-90 I find and look at the overall picture of how good a camera it seems.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 4:44 PM   #6

SGF-

Many folks have adapted to the unique handling of the S-90 without a problem. In fact I had an opportunity to use a friend's S-90 yesterday, and within 5 minutes I became very comfortable with the S-90 handling needs and had no problems at all.

Clearly, the Canon S-90 is a better camera, capable of much better high ISO capability and performance, than the SX-200, or the SX-210 which I read will reach dealer's shelves in the 1st week in May 2010.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 23, 2010, 4:47 PM   #7
SGF

Thanks for your help and suggestions. I'm going to take another look this weekend at the S-90.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:42 PM   #8

You might find this blog on the S90 helpful, especially in handling issues. The blogger found that adding "The Grip" helped all the handling issues she was having, especially as it relates to the loose control dial on the back of the camera.

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:00 AM   #9
SGF

Thanks for the link Dennis,

I took a look at the grip mentioned.....very interesting and may solve the problem. I am going to take another look at the S-90 as I liked the picture quality originally and the ones on the site you provided were very impressive also.

I am still considering the Sony HX-5 and am now researching the Sony H55 but the S-90 is still in the running.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 5:50 PM   #10
Banned

The Canon S90 is far ahead of the Sony HX5V in terms of IQ, will fare much better in low-light due to its much larger sensor and offers full manual controls. However, the Sony will probably give some improved DR, has a much longer zoom, a GPS and is a bit faster in continuous mode (helpful for action shots though no P&S is really going to do well in this area anyway).

If you don't need the zoom, I'd say go for the S90. If you can take a little drop in IQ, I think the SX210 or the HX5V are both good choices, though neither will perform as well in low-light as the S90. The SX210 will offer you more control than the Sony.
Acheron is offline   Reply With Quote