Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 23, 2010, 11:42 PM   #1

Default Beginner DSLR camera

Hello Members,
This is my first post at steves-digicams. I have been looking for an entry level dslr. I will be using the camera mainly to take pictures of my family and I love to travelling. So i want to take some beautiful pictures while i am travelling. Till now i have used P&S camera Nikon cool pix S550.

I have been researching on the internet for entry level camera's. So far i have found these camera's

Canon Rebel XS
Canon Rebel XSi
Nikon d3000
Nikon d5000

I dont know which camera is good or which camera is good for the start up.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
alladiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:03 AM   #2

alladiz-

Welcome to the Forum. We pleased that you dropped by.

Among your Canon choices, the Canon XSi is the better camera. The Nikon D-3000 is unique as it has a Guide Mode right on the Mode Selector that nicely guides a novice making the transition from P+S to a DSLR camera. The Guide is very useful.

The Nikon D-5000 has an articulated LCD screen that is very useful as well as 19 Scene Modes. The D-5000, while it is lens limited , has some of the D-90 features including a high ISO capability.

What kind of budget have your allocated for this DSLR purchase? And please tell us more about your own photo experience? Thanks in advance for your help.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Mar 24, 2010 at 8:13 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:38 AM   #3

What else to you like to shoot.

Since you are looking at the d5000. You may want to consider the Canon T1i also, it is in the same level as the d5000 and are very close in price. And has better low light ability.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 5:01 AM   #4

For what you say you want to shoot, you couldn't go wrong with any of the ones you listed. There are reasons for selecting one over another, like the features that mtclimber and shoturtle mentioned, as well as how the camera feels to you. If you can't comfortably hold it, if you can't find th econtrols and commands when you need them, you'll miss shots and be dissatisfied with the camera.

I suggest you visit a good camera store and try them out.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 7:55 PM   #5

Thanks Members for all the replies.

I am willing to spend around 450 to $550 but i can stretch my budget to get the best beginner camera out of all the cameras mentioned in the above post. I have experience in taking pictures of my family only. I am really interested to take pictures of the mother nature and it inspires me a lot. So i will be taking pictures of nature and my family and may be pictures of the parties i am going to attend after going back to India . That is my main criteria.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 7:59 PM   #6

Well you may also want to look at the pentax K-x. It fits into your budget. And will do all the things you're interested in shooting. And it is the best bang for the buck, and the best low light sensor in the entry level dslr market.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 24, 2010 at 8:27 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 8:16 PM   #7

I agree 100% with shoturtle-

The Pentax Kx model would be the ideal choice, while meeting all of the needs you have shared in this thread, while offerinh high ISO capability as well.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 9:51 PM   #8

Thanks a lot Members for your help and I really appreciate for taking your time to post a reply. Is this camera at D3000 level or D5000 level ? Does it has guide mode like D3000 or live view mode like D5000 which will be helpful for a beginner ? I will keep pentax kx in my mind while trying the cameras in store. I have seen its reviews in various websites and its pretty good. If i were to take something in Canon or Nikon, what will be the best camera that will suit my needs ?
Old Mar 24, 2010, 9:55 PM   #9

The pentax k-x is at the d5000 and T1i level, but price lower. It has a very user friendly menu system and art filters for the new dslr owner coming form a point and shoot. Well the XSi is a very good camera and will give you access to all lenses made for the EOS system. So if you are looking for value, and low light performance is not that high. I would seriously consider the XSi over the D3000 and even the D5000. But low light is important, and lens option is not a concern the D5000 is very good. But between the d5000 and T1i, I got the T1i over the d5000.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 24, 2010 at 10:23 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote