Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 24, 2010, 6:28 AM   #1

Default New DSLR

Am planning to upgrade from a digcam (Canon Tx1) to a DSLR. I shortlisted the Canon EOS Rebel T2i (EOS 550), Canon EOS Rebel T1i(EOS500) and the Nikon D5000. Which one should I go in for? Budget of around USD 800
bijijoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2010, 6:40 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Some important questions to help, what do you want to photograph, in what conditions, what is comfortable in your hand? It is not only the camera you are buying but also a system so as you grow that can affect your options and the cost involved.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 7:04 AM   #3

Marks advice is spot on. Think of also the cost of lenses as well.
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 1:18 PM   #4

Thanks... most of my photos are family.. 2 infants mainly and then the family outings / picnics. Since this is to be my first DSKR, both Nikon and Canon feel ok. Dont plan to buy too many lenses.. maybe a wide angle / macro in addition to the one provided by default with the body.
bijijoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 1:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijijoseph View Post
Thanks... most of my photos are family.. 2 infants mainly and then the family outings / picnics. Since this is to be my first DSKR, both Nikon and Canon feel ok. Dont plan to buy too many lenses.. maybe a wide angle / macro in addition to the one provided by default with the body.
Any of the cameras you're considering will do well. The kit lenses are all wide enough. The one thing you might want to add is an external flash - you'll want it for indoor shots of the family - general shots of the children plus birthday parties, etc.

I would buy whichever feels best plus external flash (430exII if canon sb600 if nikon). Leave additional lenses for later on after you get the feeling of your new camera.

The one edge IMO to canon is I like to use short prime lenses for shallow-DOF shots of my son and nieces/nephews. Since the D5000 doesn't have a focus motor a number of lenses won't autofocus with it. A couple will but not everyone. That's unfortunate as shallow-dof portraits of kids are nice to have. So, if everything else were equal and the nikon doesn't feel any better I would go for canon simply for that reason. Again, you can still get a couple lenses (nikon 50mm 1.4 and one sigma lens I believe) but with canon you can get the 50mm 1.8 ($100) or my favorite the 85mm 1.8 ($400) down the road for some great portrait work. While nikon has those same lenses, they won't autofocus on the d5000.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 11:49 AM   #6

I would recommend getting a 2 lens kit. Adding the 250 dollar ef-s 55-250mm IS. The longer lens will come in handy. It is a pretty good entry level zoom, pretty sharp and is image stabilized. So on the long end it will help out.

Since you like shooting macro something like the canon ef 50mm 2.5 macro is not a bad little lens, not to expensive either around 230 dollars. A bit better and more pricey is the ef-s 60mm 2.8 macro. It nice but 2x as much.

With the 15-55, 55-250, the 50mm or 60mm macro, and the 50mm 1.8 that john suggest. It should cover everything you indicated you want to shoot. This would not be to expensive of a set up either. With the nikon it would be quite bit more for the same capability.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 31, 2010 at 10:42 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 7:02 PM   #7

Are you hoping for 16:9?
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:39 PM   #8

I don't see a Sony DSLR on your list. I think that they offer most bang for the buck. The fact that the Minolta Maxxum series of lenses are 100% compatible makes the Sony an even better choice. Ebay has tons of Minolta Maxxum lenses available at great prices.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote