Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
... For your safari, you will want to get the ef 70-300mm IS USM lens, to give you the reach you will need for the big cats. The lens is about 550 dollar.

But for world cup how close will you be to the field, the ones that is best for the action is the ef 70-200mm USM, it is a very expensive lens, but if you are not to close to the pitch. It may be to short at 200mm.
The 70-200/2.8 IS USM would be too short, even if you're on the sidelines. I think a better choice would be the Canon 100-400 L IS USM which isn't a lot more than the 70-200/2.8 (and less than it plus the 70-300 IS), and it will work better for the safari too.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:22 PM   #12

Quote:
But for world cup how close will you be to the field, the ones that is best for the action is the ef 70-200mm USM, it is a very expensive lens, but if you are not to close to the pitch. It may be to short at 200mm.
The 70-200 is a poor choice for soccer. Even if you're right off the pitch, 200mm is too short with a range around 25 yards. It would be a waste of money.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:36 PM   #13

Quote:
flash card, the transcend class 10 sdhc from newegg.com is very fast, 25 dollar for the 8gb 50 for the 16gb.
SDHC Class 10 is roughly equivalent to CF 300X. Class 10 is as fast as SDHC cards go, but CF cards faster than 600X are available.

The issue is the speed of the camera and whether the cards can keep up with them. The 7D is faster than the T2i.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:45 PM   #14

I think that Robbo raises a very valid point-

You have only a little more than 2 months before your departure for Africa. I seriously wonder if you can master a DSLR camera in that short period sufficiently to get the photos that you desire?

A better decision might be to get the Panasonic FZ-35 super zoom camera, that costs considerably less and that you could effectively master before your departure for Africa. It is worth considering.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 1:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
A better decision might be to get the Panasonic FZ-35 super zoom camera, that costs considerably less and that you could effectively master before your departure for Africa. It is worth considering.

Sarah Joyce
An interesting idea. But I disagree about the mastery concept. Look, the superzoom will get the easy shots in auto mode just like the DSLR will. Both have auto modes. The auto modes aren't tough on a DSLR. The problem is going to be the challenging shots. The fz35 is not going to be any better at capturing those shots. It's about photography now - how to change your camera to have success in difficult situations:

• low light. best times for shooting animals is dawn & dusk. Absolutely no contest on how the images from any of these DSLRs will compare at iso 1600 vs. the fz35. Additionally no contest on how well they will focus compared to the fz35
  • subject is moving. Like it or not, neither the fz35 nor a dslr are going to successfully track a moving subject in full auto or programmed auto without additional changes. Changing focus mode is no easier on the fz35 than it is on the DSLRs. The challenge is still for the photographer to identify the NEED for it and know how to make the change.
For general purpose shooting the digicam can be easier, no doubt. But for the challenge of a safari, I fail to see how a digicam can be 'mastered' in a shorter time than a DSLR because quite frankly entry DSLRs have scene modes just like the digicam - and just like the digicam they may or may not do a good job.

Now, it is certainly valid, that if the OP doesn't spend a lot of time learning the types of PHOTOGRAPHY they'll need to do between now and then - regardless of camera - the safari picture results may be less-than-desired. And, if that's the case buying the digicam and spending a lot less money may make that more palatable. But in no way do I think the OP would come back with better shots from the fz35 than they would with a DSLR. Not for this type of shooting.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 1:30 PM   #16

Yeah. What he said.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 2:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Yeah. What he said.
The T2i does not have Optical Image stabilization compared to the 7d. How important is that?
newcastle77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 2:22 PM   #18

neither camera has in-body image stabilization. In the canon system IS is in the lens. If the lens has it then the camera has it.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 2:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
The 70-200 is a poor choice for soccer. Even if you're right off the pitch, 200mm is too short with a range around 25 yards. It would be a waste of money.
I agree that the 70-200 is going to be short. maybe with a 2x TC, but I do not know how good a set up it will be. But for the safari thing the 70-300 is a good size zoom for photographing the big cats, as the game wardens will keep you are a very safe distance.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 2:50 PM   #20

Quote:
But for the safari thing the 70-300 is a good size zoom for photographing the big cats, as the game wardens will keep you are a very safe distance.
If you're at a safe distance I would think 300mm is way too short for quality wildlife work. 300mm is short to get shots of wildlife in the woods. Again, some wildlife might be close enough for 300mm but I'm thinking you'll want all the reach you can get.

For the OP - here are some threads on another board. It's usually tabboo to post such things but I haven't seen anyone here post decent wildlife shots from safari (doesn't mean there haven't been, just means I haven't seen them). So you might want to check out these other threads and respond and get some good first hand opinions. I've never been on safari but 300mm is short for normal wildlife I can't imagine it being long enough for safari. And at the price of a safari, I'd hate to not have enough lens:
Thread 1: notice his shots are at 400mm and 500mm
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...&q=safari&qf=m

Here's a specific discussion of 300mm vs. 400mm for safari:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=34644612

I think if you don't have the extra reach but could have afforded it, you'll regret it.