Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 24, 2010, 5:43 PM   #31

If the op goes with the 7d, that 3k budget goes by really fast.

Also this is traveling. Something I can honestly say I am quite an expert at. And if the op's gear is to much to be carry on, I really would not suggest checking in that kind of camera gear. I've seen the World Cup stadium in Capetown, and it is quite large. And honestly, I doubt even with a 400mm anywhere in the regular seats it will give a great soccer photo. Unless the OP brought the prime seats.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 24, 2010 at 5:49 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 6:00 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
If the op goes with the 7d, that 3k budget goes by really fast.
But there's nothing better to do the job.

Quote:
... if the op's gear is to much to be carry on, I really would not suggest checking in that kind of camera gear.
I can't put my finger on it, but for some reason, I don't think newcastle77 will have as long a trip to the World Cup and you or I might, so carry-on might be a viable option. But still, I'd put the lens in one suitcase and the body in another, each well padded by clothing. And hopefully the suitcases don't match.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 6:07 PM   #33

You have not been to SA I guess, luggage theft is an issue at the airport. But if the OP is flying in eco class you are allow 1 carry on BA or lufthansa or pretty much any of the European carriers or south african airlines just as the US carriers. That is if Newcastle is form UK. It is still a 10 hour flight to SA form the UK so besides camera gear the op may want to bring other items. Now if the OP is fly business or first, then it is not an issue 2 carry on's, and they really do not worry about the weight of the passengers carry on's in first or business.

With the 7d and a regular lens, then add the 400mm, you will go past the op's budget of 3k.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 24, 2010 at 6:54 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 6:48 PM   #34

Those might be a few more reasons for the 14 ounce FZ-35. I apologize for sounding like a stuck record.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 7:09 PM   #35

If the op has that kind of budget, a 2 camera option may not be bad. A t1i or t2i with ef-s 18-135mm and the ef 70-300mm for the safari, as you can get some great shots. And the fz35 for the world cup day games. They may not let you in with a dslr, and depending on the location of the op's seat it may be just long enough to get a half way decent soccer photo. And the FZ will give you pretty good reach out to 480+mm. The whole package will still be under the op's budget when you factor in all the other little items like bag, extra batteries, memory cards. And all that can be carry on without an issue in a 20 inch trolley or camera bag.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 8:03 PM   #36

Or you can spend the 3k to fly me with you, and ill take pictures
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 8:12 PM   #37

Quote:
You have not been to SA I guess, luggage theft is an issue at the airport. ...
That's why you put the lens in one and the body in the other of two mismatched suitcases. They are more likely to steal match luggage than mismatched luggage. Surely you've flown enough to know that.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 8:27 PM   #38

put a flare gun in your bag, you have 100% right to lock it then.

Many of my photograpy friends that travel with alot of gear says it works.
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 8:31 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
That's why you put the lens in one and the body in the other of two mismatched suitcases. They are more likely to steal match luggage than mismatched luggage. Surely you've flown enough to know that.
I fly business class 90% of the time for international, so I have 2 carry on's so my camera gear is alway on me. Not a big issue. Also I do not pack more then one check in bag if I do check in. I like to travel light so I can to get in and out of the airport ASAP.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 8:32 PM   #40

There are indeed place in the world that require additional care and planning. Shoturtle regularly flys to SA and has recent, hands on experience.

I have not be there in 8 years, but I assure it is a very different situation, stuff just disappears with regularity.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote