Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 24, 2010, 11:54 AM   #1

Default Going on a Safari

I am going on a Safari to South Africa in June and want a good Camera to take pictures during the excursions. I will be also attending the World Cup Soccer games and I want a good SLR camera. I am a novice so I have some questions.

Looking at the following cameras:
Canon EOS 7D
Canon Digital Rebel XS
Canon Dogotal Rebel T1i

1) Which one would be best for me?
2) Are there any others you would suggest besides these?
3) Suggestion on where to purchase?
newcastle77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2010, 11:59 AM   #2

The XS isn't up to the others. I'd drop that one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:03 PM   #3

newcastle-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

With the safari and World Cup you are surely going to need not only a DSLR body, but also a good zoom lens as well.

What kind of budget to you have to work with? Please tell us about your photo experience and other photos that you want to, or normally do take? Also what camera are you coming from to this new DSLR?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:09 PM   #4

Hi Sarah.

My budget is approximatly $3k. I am a total begginer and I want a point and click but able to take good photos of the animals and the action during the games. I am coming from a standard camer digital point and shoot.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:11 PM   #5

I you can, I would go for a Canon T21. It has many of the features of the 7D, but is much less expensive. You can use any money you save to buy a good zoom lens.

One more thought - make sure you can take whatever camera you have into the various stadiums. In the US, sometimes, they don't let you bring "pro" looking gear inside. For many of the gate guards, all DSLR's are pro equipment and even some of the larger superzooms might not be allowable.

If you wanted a smaller non-DSLR camera, I would recommend the Panasonic FZ35.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:56 PM   #6

Thanks Robbo. Any suggestions on flash cards and batteries/chargers?
Old Mar 24, 2010, 1:09 PM   #7

If HD video is not high on your list the T1i will do the job nicely for safari and sports. And it will let you put the money saved on lenses. For your safari, you will want to get the ef 70-300mm IS USM lens, to give you the reach you will need for the big cats. The lens is about 550 dollar.

But for world cup how close will you be to the field, the ones that is best for the action is the ef 70-200mm USM, it is a very expensive lens, but if you are not to close to the pitch. It may be to short at 200mm.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 1:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastle77 View Post
... Any suggestions on flash cards and batteries/chargers?
I'd suggest fast cards. Here's a major difference between the T2i and the 7D. The 7D can shoot 8 frames per second, something you might want to do when shooting The World Cup and your safari. The T2i can only shoot 3.8 fps. The 7D also uses CF cards which are faster than the SDHC cards that the T2i uses.

I'd also get some extra OEM batteries and maybe an extra charger, too. I have three batteries and two chargers, but what you want to do will be intense. I might get four batteries. Every morning, when you leave the hotel, take two fully charged batteries with you and leave the two you used the previous day in the two chargers.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 1:11 PM   #9

flash card, the transcend class 10 sdhc from newegg.com is very fast, 25 dollar for the 8gb 50 for the 16gb.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 1:17 PM   #10

I'm going to second what Robbo said. I wouldn't plan your purchases around the World Cup games without gaining some additional information. The truth is, even if you're on the sidelines you want to use a 400mm lens for soccer. If you're in the stands? Man thats going to be tough to get many good shots. So I think you need to temper your expectations as even with the best gear you're going to have a limited number of shots. And, as Robbo said it's highly unlikely the venue will let you bring in the sizable lenses you would need to get decent shots.

Now, I agree also that the T2i is a great choice over the 7d for your stated uses. My suggestion is to buy that camera with kit lens and the 100-400L for your safari use. It is possible you might be able to use it for the soccer as well - the push pull design allows it to close up so it's smaller than other 400mm lenses while walking through security. It's a fantastic lens - I have one and it's great. The image stabilization will help on safari as well as it's focus ability.

Again, no guarantee you'll be able to use it for world cup but there isn't going to be a better option if you ARE allowed to use a longer lens. But, it does give you the best flexibility for your safari over a 400mm prime lens and 300mm can be short for sure (heck 400mm can be short - but the 100-400 is a sweet spot of zoom, reach, image quality and price which is why it's a favorite lens for wildlife shooters who can't quite afford the really expensive glass).

That should keep you just inside your budget.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote