Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:40 PM   #1

Default New to DLSR. How to identify where D70 was made from?

Hi all,

I just bought a used Nikon D70 and it doesn't tell me where it was made. Can anyone here tell me? Also, I'm still a beliver that Canon DSLR are a little bit better. I was looking at the Canon 7D but somehow I came across this good deal for the D70. The actuation was on 2357 counts which I think I found gold from this SLR Camera. However, I want to get the Canon 7D. Any suggestion what I should do? Should I keep this and practice from the NIKon then decide to get the Canon later?? please help! Thanks in advance.
blodg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:52 PM   #2

look at the bottom of the camera, should be a little sticker, should be thiland
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blodg8 View Post
Hi all,

I just bought a used Nikon D70 and it doesn't tell me where it was made. Can anyone here tell me? Also, I'm still a beliver that Canon DSLR are a little bit better. I was looking at the Canon 7D but somehow I came across this good deal for the D70. The actuation was on 2357 counts which I think I found gold from this SLR Camera. However, I want to get the Canon 7D. Any suggestion what I should do? Should I keep this and practice from the NIKon then decide to get the Canon later?? please help! Thanks in advance.
Should be on the bottom near the serial number. I believe the D70 was made in Thailand. However, I would've thought twice about getting a used D70, regardless of how low the shutter count is. The D70 is nearing 7 years old and is 2 1/2 generations behind, probably soon to be 3 1/2 by the end of the year, which makes it pretty close to ancient. It also suffered from an issue where it would suddenly die. I think Nikon will still repair this issue for free. Since you already have it, it's worth keeping, but if you ultimately want to shoot Canon, i wouldn't invest too heavily in lenses (which is really where the rubber meets the road). Or you may find the Nikon is to your liking and you may choose to upgrade.

Last edited by rjseeney; Mar 26, 2010 at 5:51 AM.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 9:02 PM   #4

Too many doubts. Don't move. Use your Nikon for some months and then decide.
Procedence is (almost) irrelevant these days.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:07 PM   #5

I believe nikon assemble all their dslr in Thailand. It should say next to the serial number. If you are sure you want a 7D, use the d70 to learn on and do not invest in anything else. When you are ready see if the shop you are getting the 7d will let you trade it in toward the new camera.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 8:15 PM   #6

Thanks guys however, the bottom of the D70 next to the serial does not indicate where it was made. All it said is Nikon, Corporation Japan. How can I find this out? Shoturtle, where can I find a shop to trade in the new 7D SLR if I'm planning on getting one. Any ideas where I can search a shop in my local area. Thanks
blodg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 8:56 PM   #7

Where are you located? I believe adorama.com does a mail order trade in program.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 8:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blodg8 View Post
Thanks guys however, the bottom of the D70 next to the serial does not indicate where it was made. All it said is Nikon, Corporation Japan. How can I find this out? Shoturtle, where can I find a shop to trade in the new 7D SLR if I'm planning on getting one. Any ideas where I can search a shop in my local area. Thanks
As was said, it almost certainly was made in Thailand. Most of the consumer grade equipment is made there. Only the pro lenses and bodies are made in Japan as far as I know. Really, does it matter??

In terms of trade value, I wouldn't expect much...you're probably looking at under $200 in trade value.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:04 PM   #9

here is the link if you are thinking about a trade in with adorama. You can also go to a local camera shop. Some of them have used equipment department, and will take old cameras as a trade for a new one.

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=Used
Old Mar 28, 2010, 7:56 AM   #10

And the reason this is important is...?

- Takes better pictures if manufactured in place A vs. place B?
- Skill of photographer irrelevant?
- The tool (camera) far more important?
- Pre-disposed bias againt Nikon to Canon, so place of manufacture add justification for bias?
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote