Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:51 PM   #1

Default digicam or camcorder?

Hello, I am looking to take short, (15 min max) videos. I am looking at the JVC Everio ms120 or something like it vs. a digital camera with hd camera capabilites such as the samsung dual view TL 225. I like the idea of taking quality still pics as well as videos, but I don't want to sacrifice on video. I mainly see myself taking videos of exercise demos, short health information snippets and etc (maybe an occasional video of my kids as well)... any advice on these two or others (I need to stay under $300)! Thanks, Joel
joeyl328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2010, 9:48 PM   #2

I'd stay away from any camcorder from JVC. They have a long history of failing soon after the warranty expires, they all fail the same way, and require more to fix than to buy a new one, and JVC has lost multiple class action law suits, none of which require them to admit fault and all only require them to offer discounts on future product purchases.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:53 PM   #3

If video is your big thing, the camcorder route is the way to go. They still do a better job then camera with HD. I have a JVC HD camcorder when I want video, and I have 2 camera that take HD, and I prefer the results form the camcorder way better.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 12:52 AM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I'd stay away from any camcorder from JVC. They have a long history of failing soon after the warranty expires, they all fail the same way, and require more to fix than to buy a new one, and JVC has lost multiple class action law suits, none of which require them to admit fault and all only require them to offer discounts on future product purchases.
+1 I'd take it a step further even. JVC was once a solid brand but I wouldn't touch anything they make now.

If you want to stay in that same price range, a Kodak Zi8 is a solid bet for the price range. You can also pick up a used, older Canon camcorder pretty easily at various price ranges depending on model.
Acheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 12:22 PM   #5

Default so...

I guess I do like the idea of taking photos and video, maybe I can't get both for my price range? Anyone have any views on the TL225, the little screen in front is cool, but not the reason I am looking into it, it has some pretty solid reviews on pic quality and video quality when in 720 mode. I am a chiropractor, so the videos I am looking to take are basically destined for youtube/my website, etc... Would a camera such as the TL225 or similar take good videos for this purpose? Or should I go with a camcorder only? Thanks again!
Joel
Old Mar 26, 2010, 12:33 PM   #6

or what about Nikon CoolPix L110?
Old Mar 26, 2010, 12:57 PM   #7
Banned

What about a Panasonic ZS3? They are down to about $250 now and while not as good as a camcorder, they will take much nicer stills and the video is as good as it gets for a pocket cam.
Acheron is offline   Reply With Quote