Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 25, 2010, 11:34 PM   #1

Default Camera for 8 year old.

My eight year old son is fascinated with photography and wants his own camera for his coming birthday. Which camera would be suitable for such an age group? The choices are too confusing.
ssly88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2010, 1:32 AM   #2
Banned

I would get something fairly simple and low cost. the very young always tend to toss toys around and a camera would not last long. Some toy companies sell cameras that are mostly plastic, and will survive most children.

If your son is old enough to treat a camera with care, I would also suggest you buy the lowest priced cameras.

http://www.************.com/digital-...s-c-324_8.html

there many digital cameras at the low price.
boodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 1:43 AM   #3
Banned

Stay away from Canon. Their P&S cams are barely safe in the hands of an adult.

Seriously though, I agree with boodle. Get him something cheap and easy to use. Casio, Kodak, etc. tend to make cheap cams.
Acheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 3:56 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Not all children are the same.

I trust my 6 year old daughter with my Canon 5DMkII, I have trusted her with all my cameras since she was 3. She would certainly never be careless with it, but there was one close shave where she almost dropped my P&S into a pond (she almost fell in herself too).

It's not looking like my other daughter will be trustworthy with expensive equipment until she's into her teens though. :-)

If he is careful and responsible I would recommend one of the "tough" P&S cameras. All manufacturers make them nowadays. Things like the Olympus mju Tough range, or the Canon Powershot D10, or Panasonic FT2.

Extract from the Panasonic marketing material:

Quote:
The DMC-FT2 is water-proof to a depth of 10 metres, freeze-proof down to -10 degrees Celsius and shock-proof enough to be able to withstand a drop from 2 metres.
Those cameras will easily handle accidents from a careful child. A broken cheap camera (from an accidental drop) is money completely wasted.

Last edited by peripatetic; Mar 26, 2010 at 5:16 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 2:18 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
It's not looking like my other daughter will be trustworthy with expensive equipment until she's into her teens though. :-)
My wife is 32 and I'm still waiting for the time when she will be trustworthy with expensive equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
If he is careful and responsible I would recommend one of the "tough" P&S cameras. All manufacturers make them nowadays. Things like the Olympus mju Tough range, or the Canon Powershot D10, or Panasonic FT2.
I thought of that also but I imagined it getting lost. pricing seems to be in the $300-400 range so if he went that route, I'd tether it to the kid's arm.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 6:01 PM   #6

I would suggest giving him a budget (or a gift card) and taking him to a store that sells cameras so he can pick out his own. Or at least ask him what kind of camera he wants. Some kids at that age are very particular and may only want a certain thing, or they may have seen something their friend has and want one just like it.

I work with kids that age, and occaisionally loan them my cameras so they can photograph the programs from their point of view. Overall they seem much more concerned with how the camera looks and what features it has than how the photos turn out - assuming, of course, that the photos are not such poor quality that they are completely unusable. Most cameras in the $100+ range seem to have acceptable quality for them. The cameras they like best are pocketable, have an auto mode that is easy to use, are a "cool" color or design, and have a decent sized screen on the back.

The kids are also really fascinated with video and being able to make their own movies. You might look for a camera that offers that feature (although be sure it is a still camera that can shoot video, not a video camera that takes stills - the latter group does not do a very good job of producing still pictures).

You might also look for a camera that uses AA batteries - simply because an 8-year-old might forget to recharge a proprietary Li-ion battery, and if you only have one, then he has to wait before he can take pictures again. You can find AA batteries almost anywhere should he go to take a picture and find out the batteries are dead.

Be sure in your budget to include the cost of a memory card, a decent case, and extra batteries (if not included with the camera). I would also suggest a cheap card reader that plugs into your computer's USB port, so that you can transfer pictures quickly to the computer without having to install special software and plug in the camera.

I would start with a relatively inexpensive camera (under $200) and see how long his interest lasts and if he is able to take good care of it. Once you know he is really going to use it a lot, develops some skill at taking photos, and is able to keep it from being lost or damaged, then you might look at investing some more money into a bigger camera.
JAC123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 6:19 PM   #7

jac123-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

Your post contained a lot of good advice. Thanks. One camera that comes to mind is the Samsung SL-420 which sells for $(US)110.00 has 10mp, 5X optical zoom, is credit card size an about 5/8" thick, and even takes video.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 8:50 PM   #8
Banned

Buy dot com has a refurbished Olympus Stylus Tough-6000 for $170 shipped and Buydig has them for $150 shipped. Shockproof, waterproof, etc.

For a little bit more (~$205), the Panasonic DMC-TS1 is a much better camera.

Last edited by Acheron; Mar 27, 2010 at 3:28 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 10:39 PM   #9

The olympus tough are not a bad thing for a 8 year old, they can take a decent beating.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 5:14 PM   #10

Well, if you really loved him then only a Canon EOS 1d or Nikon D3s will do.

Seriously, at eight years old one need to wonder how long the facination will last, simply be like mom/dad and take picture too. Hasn't developed a critical eye about the photo, just wants to take pictures. As such, keep it simple so doesn't become frustrated but maintains a desire to go further. As a first camera, minimize your investment. Have him look for those in the $100 range, and I am guessing, he will pick one because of the color...not the features. Id possible, try to stick with one of the majors rather than something like HP or Casio.

Obviously, keep encouraging as he develops his skills.

Good luck.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote