Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 27, 2010, 1:21 AM   #11
Banned

Well bringing the zoom into the picture, I would say the Sony HX5V or the Canon SX200/210. The Sony HX5V and Canon SX200 are on my short list as well.
Acheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 1:57 PM   #12
sfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron View Post
Well bringing the zoom into the picture, I would say the Sony HX5V or the Canon SX200/210. The Sony HX5V and Canon SX200 are on my short list as well.
I think the HX5 is looking better as I consider video. In terms of photo capabilities vs. the SX200 & ZS3, the SX200 appears to lag in the wide angle dept. as well as pic-to-pic time (which can be important w/quickly moving kids).

That leaves it to the HX5 & ZS3. Hmmm; where to go from here?
sfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 2:02 PM   #13

zs3 bright, wide, lecia lens.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 3:01 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfo View Post
That leaves it to the HX5 & ZS3. Hmmm; where to go from here?
The HX5V will do better in low-light, offers better color/WB and has a considerably faster continuous mode for action shots. However, it has extreme NR and lacks manual controls.

The Panasonic has mediocre WB/colors and poor low-light performance but has slightly better IQ and less NR.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 4:47 PM   #15
sfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron View Post
The HX5V will do better in low-light, offers better color/WB and has a considerably faster continuous mode for action shots. However, it has extreme NR and lacks manual controls.

The Panasonic has mediocre WB/colors and poor low-light performance but has slightly better IQ and less NR.
In just evaluating the two in terms of camera only, who comes out on top?

The photos are more important than the video (and keep in mind the number is images that actually get printed will be small). And, I would want to evaluate the camera on (a) operator (wife=always auto, me=auto often & willing to learn and experiment) and (b) original criteria: wide angle, good view finder, quick shots, image stabilizer, easy(ish) OS, good flash range, decent zoom & good battery life.
sfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 4:56 PM   #16

actually for a point and shoot both are decent in the low light, neither is stellar.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 8:08 PM   #17

sfo-

This is just my opinion. I shoot already with the ZS3 and have been studying the HX5 very carefully. It appears to me that the HX5 has the advantage for both your application as well as mine.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 8:14 PM   #18
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
actually for a point and shoot both are decent in the low light, neither is stellar.
No of course neither is stellar as they are both pocket P&S cams. However, go ahead and check the low-light tests and samples from both cameras and you will see a considerable difference in output quality with the Sony outperforming the Panasonic by a wide margin. The Panasonic ZS3 is consistently labeled as a poor low-light performer.

Last edited by Acheron; Mar 27, 2010 at 8:17 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 8:34 PM   #19

I've seen the test, and it is not really a drastic difference between the different point and shoots. The best I have seen is the G11, and that too is not stellar. But honestly I would not hold the low light issue to high, as it is still poor no matter which one you pick. The key thing with point and shoots are how good the flash is if you shoot in low light. And the day time performance does the lens give you the type of performance you need. Like zoom range, wide angle, sharpness. Think these are more important factor as this is about point and shoot camera's.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:41 PM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I've seen the test, and it is not really a drastic difference between the different point and shoots. The best I have seen is the G11, and that too is not stellar. But honestly I would not hold the low light issue to high, as it is still poor no matter which one you pick. The key thing with point and shoots are how good the flash is if you shoot in low light. And the day time performance does the lens give you the type of performance you need. Like zoom range, wide angle, sharpness. Think these are more important factor as this is about point and shoot camera's.
The G11 is not a pocket P&S and not even remotely in the same class as the cameras being discussed.

As for what's important, that depends entirely on the individual. I spend most of my time outdoors but I would still take a hit in outdoor IQ for an improvement in indoor IQ. Also, many of us will gladly take a performance hit for a cam we can fit in our pocket vs a cam like the G11.